Programming Attiny45 with Uno. Problems finding good information.

Hello folks,
Had real problems finding one simple method to program the Attiny with the Uno today.

From all the instructables and google searches they seemed to contain errors or direct to one upload site on github that didn't work for me.

I did get it to work but only after following a link here and one on sparkfun and combining the two.

The link here is Arduino Project Hub
but links to the github link "attiny by Davis A. Mellis" which didn't work for me, nor did another link on the same site, and there is a lot of talk about the links not working all over the place.

The Sparkfun tutorial here - Tiny AVR Programmer Hookup Guide - SparkFun Learn

is great to download the attiny software and put it in the right folder for access and helped me a lot, and in my opinion is much easier to understand, but then wants you to use their programmer at £22 a pop - and I knew my trusty Uno in front of me could handle it.

It was a learning experience for me as a novice, but I just could not find a complete answer to what I thought was a well trodden route, as most of the "easy" tutorials out there used the Mellis information.

I'm sure there is plenty of good information to make it easy for an 8yr old, but I couldn't find it. Maybe someone can post a link to the easy and complete method, like a sticky in this part of the forum.

I think this is a good place to start:

TinyCore

It talks about using usbASP, USBtiny and ArduinoAsISP. There is lots of detailed info and the Author Dr. Azzy is active here on the boards.

Jimmy

I 100% agree with mixographer about using the excellent ATTinyCore. However, I am curious:

Richie_asg1:
but links to the github link "attiny by Davis A. Mellis" which didn't work for me, nor did another link on the same site, and there is a lot of talk about the links not working all over the place.

Which link are you talking about. The only one on that page related to damellis/attiny is the Boards Manager URL, which works fine for me. The only other link on that page is the datasheet from Atmel. The only mention of the link not working in the comments is a problem with the period at the end of the sentence being included in the URL, which was fixed 2 years ago. If you can identify an issue with damellis/attiny I will try to get it fixed. Even though there is a better alternative now, damellis/attiny has been around for a long time and a lot of people still use it, probably because they are reading outdated tutorials that don't mention ATTinyCore.

I think that could be the problem because I came in through the wrong door so to speak. I started by finding the chip then looking for methods to program it, rather than starting in Arduino and looking for suitable processors. It's the first I've seen mention of ATTinyCore from this direction.

Next step to cobble a shield together to make programming them a bit easier.

Question on compiling errors from an Uno to ATtiny45. I've successfully compiled the blink sketch to the ATtiny45 but when I try the same process for a sketch involving a LoRa protocol I get a compiling error. The LoRa sketch is not big thus confused on why I get a compiling error. Are there certain operations (ie LoRa) that wouldn't be possible with the ATtiny45?

Appreciate any thoughts.
3Dtj

3Dtj:
Question on compiling errors from an Uno to ATtiny45. I've successfully compiled the blink sketch to the ATtiny45 but when I try the same process for a sketch involving a LoRa protocol I get a compiling error. The LoRa sketch is not big thus confused on why I get a compiling error. Are there certain operations (ie LoRa) that wouldn't be possible with the ATtiny45?

Appreciate any thoughts.
3Dtj

Yes, absolutely - depends on how it interfaces with the LoRa radio. Post the error message for help interpreting it.

Particularly with David's core, you'll have issues converting a lot of sketches because of the lack of serial, I2C, and SPI hardware on the attiny's. With my core, I2C and SPI are done transparently using special versions of Wire and SPI library included with the core, so code should just work. There's also a "Serial" - but it's still software serial, not hardware serial, so it's subject to all the limitations of software serial (except that it uses the aco interrupt instead of a pcint, so it won't interfere with as much as softwareserial library)

Thank you for responding. I'm new to all this thus but I was shocked when I got the compiling error for such a small sketch (only 50 lines of code). I'll post the sketch and the error later this evening.

Thank you and appreciate any insight.

3Dtj

The error message I get is that can not compilte to the ATtiny25/45/85.

Using two separate LoRa transreceivers, the program is intended to blink a LED upon receiving a message from the second LoRa transreceiver that broadcasts the correct syncword. I was able to get the below code (modified to remove the serial print messages) using two Adriuno UNOs and two separate LoRa tranreceivers.

Currently I have the ATtiny45 wired with the LED going to ATtiny45 PB3, the IRQ to PB4, SCK to PB2, MISO to PB1, and CS PB0. I was able to test the wiring and ATtiny45 using the basic blink program as described in the YouTube video to shrink your Adruino project.

/*
LoRa Duplex communication

Sends a message every half second, and polls continually
for new incoming messages. Implements a one-byte addressing scheme,
with 0xFF as the broadcast address.

Uses readString() from Stream class to read payload. The Stream class'
timeout may affect other functuons, like the radio's callback. For an

created 28 April 2017
by Tom Igoe
*/
#include <SPI.h> // include libraries
#include <LoRa.h>

const int receiveLED = 3;
const int csPin = 0; // LoRa radio chip select
const int resetPin = 5; // LoRa radio reset
const int irqPin = 4; // change for your board; must be a hardware interrupt pin

byte localAddress = 0xFF; // address of this device
byte destination = 0xBB; // destination to send to
byte syncWord = 0xB4; // sync word (network ID)
byte spreadingFactor = 8; // spreading factor (6-12)

void setup() {
LoRa.setPins(csPin, resetPin, irqPin); //set CS, reset, IRQ pin
LoRa.begin(900E6); // initialize ratio at 900 MHz

LoRa.setSyncWord(syncWord);
LoRa.setTimeout(10);
LoRa.setSpreadingFactor(spreadingFactor);
// set the I/O pin modes;
pinMode(receiveLED, OUTPUT);
}

void sendMessage(String outgoing) {
LoRa.beginPacket(); // start packet
LoRa.write(destination); // add destination address
LoRa.write(localAddress); // add sender address
LoRa.write(outgoing.length()); // add payload length
LoRa.print(outgoing); // add payload
LoRa.endPacket(); // finish packet and send it
}

void onReceive(int packetSize) {
if (packetSize == 0) return; // if there's no packet, return

digitalWrite(receiveLED, HIGH); // turn on the receive LED

// read packet header bytes:
int recipient = LoRa.read(); // recipient address
byte sender = LoRa.read(); // sender address
byte incomingMsgId = LoRa.read(); // incoming msg ID
byte msgLength = LoRa.read(); // incoming msg length
String incoming = LoRa.readString(); //payload of packet

// if the recipient isn't this device or broadcast,
if (recipient != localAddress && recipient != 0xFF) {
return; // skip rest of function
digitalWrite(receiveLED, LOW); // turn off receive LED
}
}

Please use code tags (</> button on the toolbar) when you post code or warning/error messages. The reason is that the forum software can interpret parts of your code as markup, leading to confusion, wasted time, and a reduced chance for you to get help with your problem. This will also make it easier to read your code and to copy it to the IDE or editor. If your browser doesn't show the posting toolbar then you can just manually add the code tags:
[code]``[color=blue]// your code is here[/color]``[/code]
Using code tags and other important information is explained in the How to use this forum post. Please read it.

Please always do a Tools > Auto Format on your code before posting it. This will make it easier for you to spot bugs and make it easier for us to read. If you're using the Arduino Web Editor you will not have access to this useful tool but it's still unacceptable to post poorly formatted code. I recommend you to use the standard IDE instead.

3Dtj:
The error message I get is that can not compilte to the ATtiny25/45/85.

I'm sure there is much more than that to the error. Being so vague will only make it less likely for you to get a solution. Do you see that black window at the bottom of the Arduino IDE window? It's called the console. When you have a compile error you need to scroll that window all the way to the top(helps to resize it larger) and start reading it from the top. You will find the compiler provides you specific information about the problem.

When you encounter an error you'll see a button on the right side of the orange bar "Copy error messages". Click that button. Paste the error in a message here USING CODE TAGS (</> button on the toolbar).

Sorry about the mix-up on the code. I'll resend using the proper </> and give the exact message later this evening.

Thank you,
3Dtj

First here is the original code that I was using to compile to the ATtiny45.

/*

timeout may affect other functuons, like the radio's callback. For an

created 28 April 2017
  by Tom Igoe
*/
#include <SPI.h>              // include libraries
#include <LoRa.h>

const int csPin = 0;          // LoRa radio chip select
const int resetPin = 5;       // LoRa radio reset
const int irqPin = 4;         // change for your board; must be a hardware interrupt pin

byte localAddress = 0xFF;     // address of this device
byte destination = 0xBB;      // destination to send to
byte syncWord = 0xB4;        // sync word (network ID)
byte spreadingFactor = 8;    // spreading factor (6-12)

void setup() {
  LoRa.setPins(csPin, resetPin, irqPin);  //set CS, reset, IRQ pin
  LoRa.begin(900E6);              // initialize ratio at 900 MHz

LoRa.setTimeout(10);
  pinMode(receiveLED, OUTPUT); // set the I/O pin modes
}

if (packetSize == 0) return;          // if there's no packet, return
  digitalWrite(receiveLED, HIGH);       // turn on the receive LED

// read packet header bytes
  int recipient = LoRa.read();          // recipient address
  byte msgLength = LoRa.read();    // incoming msg length
  String incoming = LoRa.readString();  //payload of packet

return;                             // skip rest of function
    digitalWrite(receiveLED, LOW);      // turn off receive LED
  }
}

Below is part of the error message. Unfortunately the rest exceeds the 9000 character limit so I just pasted a portion of it to give you an idea.

In file included from c:\program files (x86)\arduino\hardware\tools\avr\avr\include\avr\io.h:99:0,

from c:\program files (x86)\arduino\hardware\tools\avr\avr\include\avr\pgmspace.h:90,

from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:28,

from sketch\LoRaDuplex_ATtiny45.ino.cpp:1:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SPI\src/SPI.h: In member function 'void SPISettings::init_AlwaysInline(uint32_t, uint8_t, uint8_t)':

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SPI\src/SPI.h:146:16: error: 'SPE' was not declared in this scope

spcr = _BV(SPE) | _BV(MSTR) | ((bitOrder == LSBFIRST) ? _BV(DORD) : 0) |

^

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SPI\src/SPI.h:146:27: error: 'MSTR' was not declared in this scope

^

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SPI\src/SPI.h:146:65: error: 'DORD' was not declared in this scope

^

In file included from C:\Users\TBK\Documents\Arduino\LoRaDuplex_ATtiny45\LoRaDuplex_ATtiny45.ino:14:0:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SPI\src/SPI.h: In static member function 'static void SPIClass::beginTransaction(SPISettings)':

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SPI\src/SPI.h:203:5: error: 'SPCR' was not declared in this scope

SPCR = settings.spcr;

^

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SPI\src/SPI.h:204:5: error: 'SPSR' was not declared in this scope

SPSR = settings.spsr;

^

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SPI\src/SPI.h: In static member function 'static uint8_t SPIClass::transfer(uint8_t)':

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SPI\src/SPI.h:209:5: error: 'SPDR' was not declared in this scope

SPDR = data;

^

Do this:

If you still get errors then post them.

Ok I'll try this tonight and see what happens.

Ok this is what I got this time after installing the new core.

Build options changed, rebuilding all
C:\Users\TBK\Documents\Arduino\libraries\arduino-LoRa-master\src\LoRa.cpp: In member function 'int LoRaClass::endPacket()':

C:\Users\TBK\Documents\Arduino\libraries\arduino-LoRa-master\src\LoRa.cpp:150:11: error: 'yield' was not declared in this scope

yield();

^

exit status 1
Error compiling for board ATtiny25/45/85.
'yield' was not declared in this scope

Looks like your code has a bug. A missing line or a typo somewhere.

Actually that is caused by a bug in ATTinyCore:

The bug has been fixed but there wasn't a release since that time. yield() is not commonly used so most people are able to use the latest release without any problems but 3Dtj was unlucky to use a library that does use yield(). So the version with the fix is not available for installation via Boards Manager but you can easily do a manual installation of the version of ATTinyCore with the fix like this:

• Tools > Board > Boards Manager
  • Wait for downloads to finish
  • Scroll down until you see "ATTinyCore by Spence Konde". Click on it.
  • Click the "Remove" button.
  • Wait for the remove process to finish.
  • Download https://github.com/SpenceKonde/ATTinyCore/archive/master.zip
  • Copy the folder ATTinyCore-master from the downloaded file to {sketchbook folder}/hardware. If you don't know the location of your sketchbook folder you can find/set it at File > Preferences > Sketchbook location. If the hardware subfolder of your sketchbook folder doesn't already exist then you need to create it.
  • In the Arduino IDE's Boards Manager, click the "Close" button. If you did the manual installation of ATTinycore while Boards Manager was open then the newly installed ATTinyCore will have been automatically detected by the IDE. If you exited Boards Manager before completing the installation then you only need to close all Arduino IDE windows and then start the IDE again for the installation to be recognized.

Thanks for doing my tech support for me, Pert!

My hope is that I'll be able to do a release this weekend - it's been a while.

I'll check the code again. Based upon the sketch, would you agree the ATtiny45 should be able to handle it? Is it possible that I'm declaring a pin on the ATtiny45 that is unable to support a LoRa function?

/*

timeout may affect other functuons, like the radio's callback.

created 28 April 2017
  by Tom Igoe
*/
#include <SPI.h>              // include libraries
#include <LoRa.h>

const int csPin = 0;          // LoRa radio chip select
const int resetPin = 5;       // LoRa radio reset
const int irqPin = 4;         // change for your board; must be a hardware interrupt pin

byte localAddress = 0xFF;     // address of this device
byte destination = 0xBB;      // destination to send to
byte syncWord = 0xB4;        // sync word (network ID)
byte spreadingFactor = 8;    // spreading factor (6-12)

void setup() {
  LoRa.setPins(csPin, resetPin, irqPin);  //set CS, reset, IRQ pin
  LoRa.begin(900E6);              // initialize ratio at 900 MHz

LoRa.setTimeout(10);
  pinMode(receiveLED, OUTPUT); // set the I/O pin modes
}

if (packetSize == 0) return;          // if there's no packet, return
  digitalWrite(receiveLED, HIGH);       // turn on the receive LED

// read packet header bytes
  int recipient = LoRa.read();          // recipient address
  byte msgLength = LoRa.read();    // incoming msg length
  String incoming = LoRa.readString();  //payload of packet

return;                             // skip rest of function
    digitalWrite(receiveLED, LOW);      // turn off receive LED
  }
}

Sorry. Didn't see pert's response after posting the above. I will try the updated library tonight.

3Dtj