Lost in Linux

How does an Arduino Chrome web editor app running on a pc with Linux differ from a Chromebook? I ran it on the Chromebook, first. The Linux set-up was next. The ArduinoCreateAgent was needed be downloaded (again) and installed to connect with a Uno port on the Linux computer. In other words, two different times. I expected the Chrome web editor app to be, well, a Chrome app, but in both instances it appears to be a desktop app. I also have the IDE desktop app on the Linux pc.
What this appears to me to mean is that it is not possible to log-in to Chrome on a third computer, connect an Arduino board, and upload Arduino files without first downloading and installing a driver on the third computer. Is that a future prospect, like with other Chrome apps that reside on the Chrome browser/cloud servers?

Each installation of the application on each device needs its drivers, certificates to match the browser being used, and other firewall permissions on some OS.

There is not a "one size fits all" app nor could there be due to so many differences in file systems, processors, etc etc.

The only way to do what you seem to be attempting is to have boards that generate IP's such as the YUN.
Those present themselves to the network and so provide a wider scope of operation.
Boards that are only available via USB are only available to that machine but you can still code for a particular board and save it and that sketch will be available on the PC that has the NON networked boards.

Hi @brianeo

The Chrome App is intended to run on Chrome OS only, as Chromium has deprecated Chrome apps for other operating systems. On all other operating systems, including Linux you will need to install the Create Agent.

With the Arduino Create editor your sketches and libraries will be saved in the cloud, so you will not have to sync. them from PC to PC.

Thank you for your replies. I had to think it over for a few days. I still don't know what to do with my old Chromebook. It's sitting on the shelf right now battery slowly going dead. Then, I had another idea. I understand this is not exactly the right forum for my question, but perhaps someone could point me in the right direction. Is it possible to wipe the device and load Linux? I considered giving it to someone less fortunate, but if the original operating system will no longer be updated after some indefinite time in the future, whomever I give it to will not thank me for it then.

You would be AMAZED at some of the thanks we have had for older laptops that have been shipped off with people travelling to foreign parts.

In our case it is usually Cuba where slightly older cell phones are very much appreciated along with much older laptops... Best to make sure the battery is capable of holding a decent charge or that they can be replaced easily.

In return my Aunt is involved in rescuing dogs from Cuba.

I am sure that if you know somebody who travels a lot to a specific country or there is an HONEST charity for reclaimed electronics you would be surprised how much more life many things have.

As far as in your case your best bet is the internet to see what can be done as far as any OS changes and upgrades as that in itself is a very deep topic and quite often best left to the individual to decide.