Unable to upload to standalone ATmega328 more than once

I have followed the instructions in the following links to create my own standalone Arduino set up on a Breadboard:

I used the steps given in the Burning the Bootloader section of the Arduino o Breadboard page to prepare my new ATmega328 IC, and then proceeded to connect it to my computer with an FTDI232 USB to Serial module as shown in the Standalone article to upload the Blink sketch to this IC.

It succesfully uploads the first time, but does not after that giving my an "avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x60" error message. This gets rectified when I repeat the steps to burn the bootloader onto the IC, but then again I am allowed to upload a sketch to my IC only once, after which it gives me the same error message.

Is there any way to fix this?

Frequently this is caused by not having the autoreset wired correctly.

I'm not aware of what that's about. Could you please elaborate? Thanks!!

The arduino tutorials on the subject are sadly not very good, and somewhat outdated (I don't see anything about the auto-reset connections, for example.

Try Nick Gammon's tutorial instead: Gammon Forum : Electronics : Microprocessors : How to make an Arduino-compatible minimal board