@admins: please enlarge max size of posts from 9000 to min 32000 chars!

@admins:
please enlarge max size of posts from 9000 to min 32000 chars!
For talking about code it's better to see the code in the post instead of heaving to up/download attached files.

I'd say no to that. I don't want to have to scroll thru some huge code listing to get to the next message.
Use the Attach feature for something that big.

Definite "no" from me.
If your code has got that big before you isolated the problem, you should be looking at ways of getting the code size down.

No, I don't want that. Posts could get flooded with thousands of bytes in the primary page (the one that loads when you click on it) if you have a 32 KB piece of code, and then someone suggests a change (another 32 KB) and then someone posts another 32 KB and so on.

Anyway, really long bits of code should be in multiple files, and it is tedious to try to copy/paste/save multiple files to try to recreate the OP's setup. Better to attach a .zip file.

ok.
the issue was about 1 really fine working, fail-save UART communication program which I had liked to demonstrate, but already 1 for the master was too long for the editor. That's really poor, in our forum we have 64000 chars and we are fine with it.

But then demonstrating features of the related program particularly, in detail, makes no sense.
A pity for your forum members IMO.

ArthurD:
but already 1 for the master was too long for the editor.

I don't understand

in our forum we have 64000 chars and we are fine with it

What forum is that ?

I would not like to see the limit raised.

There are too many posts here from inexperienced people who produce screens-full of code without using the code button </>. Imagine what that would be like if it was 32k long.

...R

ours is this forum:

ArthurD:
ok.
the issue was about 1 really fine working, fail-save UART communication program which I had liked to demonstrate, but already 1 for the master was too long for the editor. That's really poor, in our forum we have 64000 chars and we are fine with it.

But then demonstrating features of the related program particularly, in detail, makes no sense.
A pity for your forum members IMO.

But you can post attachments. Surely you don't want to describe, line by line, the 64000 characters? If you want to comment on excerpts you can do that in the body of the post. And then you attach your files so people can easily download them, if they want to.

ArthurD:
ours is this forum:
mindstormsforum.de

My German is not very good (OK - non-existent), however looking at one thread:

Virtually every post in that thread links to a download - it is not in the post itself. One of them links to 3 x .zip files - just as I suggested above.

this Lego mindstorms topic you linked above is about NXT-G graphical programming blocks, not about text source code. You can't put graphical programming blocks into text code boxes at all.
Moreover, it's very old and had vintage forum's settings. :wink:
We meanwhile enlarged text code in code boxes to at least 64000 chars, and we enlarged the size of code boxes as well.

ArthurD:
We meanwhile enlarged text code in code boxes to at least 64000 chars, and we enlarged the size of code boxes as well.

"at least"? :o

That's utterly bonkers.

My German's not great, so could you link one of these posts, please?

I actually don't know which posted code actually reached this maximum size completely, but here I found a medium-to-large sized one:

aah - yes, I just made a new test for you, here it is (it's maybe a little larger, don't know for sure.
But posting into code boxes works. :sunglasses:

edit, update: testfile meanwhile erased again !

Haven't they heard of git?

I'm sorry, but stuff that big should be in "Exhibition/Gallery" as a git reference.
(Or maybe Lego stuff is particularly verbose)

ArthurD:
we make it this way because it's very clearly laid, perfect for communication between hobby users and we're all very happy to have it this way.

Amen

ArthurD:
and we're all very happy to have it this way.

In case of doubt I would NOT be happy to have that much stuff in a single Post on this Forum.

...R

AWOL:
Haven't they heard of git?

Plus, GitHub has line numbers and syntax colouring. And if you make a change users can compare the old to the new so they can see how bugs got fixed.

(incidentally deleted post instead of editing)

AWOL:
"at least"? :o
That's utterly bonkers.

we make it this way because it's very clearly laid, perfect for communication between hobby users and we're all very happy to have it this way.
Finally by far not all posts reach roughly 64000 chars size - but in case there once will be a larger one, it's still possible.

So after all, IMO those ridiculous 9000 char size is utterly bonkers.

So after all, IMO those ridiculous 9000 char size is utterly bonkers.

If you don't like the reasonable limit, with its reasonable alternative, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

BTW, is it possible to subtract karma? :confused: