I need 110vac motor/switch to activate arduino

I've just started using Arduino so forgive me if this question is stupid simple.

I have a few 110 VAC motors that are running through switches that I also need to activate a series of sounds programmed in Max/Msp through the arduino board.

For example:
This is an art piece where the viewer walks up to the piece and turns on a switch which turns on a hair dryer (run on 100vac). I need the switch to also activate the arduino to play the sounds at the same time. I think I need to change out my switches to Double Pole Single Throw switches, but I'm not 100% sure. I don't want to overload my Arduino board with too much voltage.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
tim

I think I've been able to answer my own question, but would be happy if someone confirmed this. I also thought it would be helpful in case others need this information.

With a Double Pole Single Throw (DPST) switch "Both load terminals can be energized at the same time. They are independent of each other and could be of different voltages."

So I can safely use one switch to turn on the high voltage (110VAC) motor and activate low 40mA Arduino board.

You could use a solid stat relay. The digital signal from the switch would then turn on the 110 and the same signal would turn on the sound through the Arduino. The switch voltage would remain low on the input side of the relay, so there is no chance of mixing 5 volts dc with 110AC.

It sounds like you leave the switch on ( a simple toggle) if you use the relay, you can get what you want with a push button. You would just use a second pin on the Arduino to keep the 110 high.