MDB tester

Hello arduino forums. What I would like to accomplish is to build an MDB tester for my vending company. I need a bit of help though and I really don't know where to start.

What I have so far are a few arduino uno 's and some lcd displays. I would like to basically build a tester that I can hook a MDB bill acceptor or coin mech up to, to test them. I need the lcd display to display the amount of money that had been passed through the device in test, and if it rejects the bill or coin it will throw an error or some there message. Any help getting this started and so on would be greatly appreciated.

How do the vending machines communicate with the bill acceptors? You could hook up an oscilloscope to see what the MDB is sending. Do you have any other documentation?

The only information I have right now is from MDB documentation on google. I know that is a serial protocol that uses a 9 bit word.

The Multi Drop Bus / Internal Communication Protocol is described here.

Hello hydrolisk1792,

I am working on almost similar project. Can you please assist me with information on how to connect Arduino to MDB port of vending machine.

Thank you in advance.

dcp:
Hello hydrolisk1792,

I am working on almost similar project. Can you please assist me with information on how to connect Arduino to MDB port of vending machine.

Thank you in advance.

All I know right now is that you will need a 24 volt supply and that it is really close to RS485

JohnLincoln:
The Multi Drop Bus / Internal Communication Protocol is described here.

My download of the PDF fails at about 75% complete. Tried several times.

Paul

Finally got the whole PDF downloaded.

I did not read through the whole thing, but I would not consider what you propose, except on a PC. You would have to program a complete master controller and then add more to be able to diagnose error conditions that may be encountered.

Paul

hydrolisk1792:
All I know right now is that you will need a 24 volt supply and that it is really close to RS485

Thank you hydrolisk1792. I'm also going through the same pdf to understand MDB better.

dcp:
Thank you hydrolisk1792. I'm also going through the same pdf to understand MDB better.

And I only know this because I'm a vending technician so I have all the access to parts and machines to my hearts content :slight_smile:

hydrolisk1792:
And I only know this because I'm a vending technician so I have all the access to parts and machines to my hearts content :slight_smile:

hydrolisk1792. Cool. Can you please send me your email address. I wish to write to you.

dcp:
hydrolisk1792. Cool. Can you please send me your email address. I wish to write to you.

Unfortunately I don't give out my email that easy because it is linked to my company so I can talk through here if you'd like. Sorry about that.

Paul_KD7HB:
Finally got the whole PDF downloaded.

I did not read through the whole thing, but I would not consider what you propose, except on a PC. You would have to program a complete master controller and then add more to be able to diagnose error conditions that may be encountered.

Paul

I understand that, and that would be fine but wouldn't it be harder to make a windows based program to test devices such as changers and note validators? With arduino it would just need to be a test based lcd mounted at the front with some buttons and connectors.