BUG: Arduino IDE 1.8.11 ATtiny85 USBasp

The IDE has problems with this part using this programmer.

When trying to burn the bootloader output is:

avrdude: set SCK frequency to 187500 Hz
avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: set SCK frequency to 187500 Hz
avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.

Uploading a sketch using programmer:

Sketch uses 3006 bytes (36%) of program storage space. Maximum is 8192 bytes.
Global variables use 108 bytes (21%) of dynamic memory, leaving 404 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 512 bytes.

The bootloader and compiled sketch can be flashed successfully from the command line using the avrdude binary bundled with the IDE

In the IDE, changing the board to ATmega8 and connecting an ATmega8 to the usbasp allows for successfully burning of bootloader and sketch.

Test environment is Microsoft Windows 10 Home 10.0.18362 Build 18362

This is normal with the common USBasp clones and does not indicate a problem. Just ignore it.

So you're saying it's normal that the IDE works perfectly fine with an ATMega8 and fails when using an ATtiny85? Using exactly the same USBasp. And I should ignore it and what? Not use ATtiny85s? We either have very different definitions of the term "problem" or I didn't do a good enough job of explaining the problem. What do I need to do to convince you that this is a problem?

abveost:
What do I need to do to convince you that this is a problem?

Either post an error message or provide a detailed description of the failure. All you've done so far is post the normal output from a successful Burn Bootloader or Upload Using Programmer process when using a Chinese USBasp. Those "cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update." warnings are normal and expected.

I posted the entire message the software provided. What more details would be of use to you? How about the message the software gives when burning the bootloader using the exact same USBasp, connection, and the board changed to ATmega8? How about the output from the avrdude binary included with IDE using the hex generated by the IDE and the IDE conf? You will see the problem has nothing to do with the USBasp and is strictly a problem with the IDE using the ATtiny25/45/85 board.

Here's the output for uploading a sketch from the command line to an ATtin85. The output from the IDE will have to wait due to the limitations of this forum, which requires I split it into multiple posts and wait 5 minutes between posting them. The irony of asking for more details with these limitations isn't lost on me.

D:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin>avrdude -u -c usbasp -p t85 -P usb -B 0.5 -U flash:w:"C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\led\led.ino.hex":a -C "D:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\etc\avrdude.conf"

avrdude: set SCK frequency to 1500000 Hz
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.22s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e930b (probably t85)
avrdude: NOTE: "flash" memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\led\led.ino.hex"
avrdude: input file C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\led\led.ino.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: writing flash (1264 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 1.16s

avrdude: 1264 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\led\led.ino.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\led\led.ino.hex:
avrdude: input file C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\led\led.ino.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: input file C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\led\led.ino.hex contains 1264 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.80s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: 1264 bytes of flash verified

avrdude done. Thank you.

The irony of you complaining about a five minute delay when it took you four days to respond to my request for more information isn't lost on me.

The five minute restriction goes away at your hundredth post. So if you stick around it won't be an annoyance for too long.

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\MiniCore\hardware\avr\2.0.3/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : usb
Using Programmer : usbasp
AVR Part : ATmega8
Chip Erase delay : 10000 us
PAGEL : PD7
BS2 : PC2
RESET disposition : dedicated
RETRY pulse : SCK
serial program mode : yes
parallel program mode : yes
Timeout : 200
StabDelay : 100
CmdexeDelay : 25
SyncLoops : 32
ByteDelay : 0
PollIndex : 3
PollValue : 0x53
Memory Detail :

Block Poll Page Polled
Memory Type Mode Delay Size Indx Paged Size Size #Pages MinW MaxW ReadBack

eeprom 4 20 128 0 no 512 4 0 9000 9000 0xff 0xff
flash 33 10 64 0 yes 8192 64 128 4500 4500 0xff 0x00
lfuse 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 2000 2000 0x00 0x00
hfuse 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 2000 2000 0x00 0x00
efuse 0 0 0 0 no 0 0 0 0 0 0x00 0x00
lock 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 2000 2000 0x00 0x00
calibration 0 0 0 0 no 4 0 0 0 0 0x00 0x00
signature 0 0 0 0 no 3 0 0 0 0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : usbasp
Description : USBasp, USBasp - USB programmer for Atmel AVR controllers - fischl.de

avrdude: auto set sck period (because given equals null)

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9307 (probably m8)
avrdude: reading input file "0x3f"
avrdude: writing lock (1 bytes):

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\MiniCore\hardware\avr\2.0.3/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : usb
Using Programmer : usbasp
Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: 1 bytes of lock written
avrdude: verifying lock memory against 0x3f:
avrdude: load data lock data from input file 0x3f:
avrdude: input file 0x3f contains 1 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip lock data:

avrdude: 1 bytes of lock verified
avrdude: reading input file "{bootloader.extended_fuses}"
avrdude: writing efuse (0 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% -0.00s

avrdude: 0 bytes of efuse written
avrdude: verifying efuse memory against {bootloader.extended_fuses}:
avrdude: load data efuse data from input file {bootloader.extended_fuses}:
avrdude: input file {bootloader.extended_fuses} contains 0 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip efuse data:

avrdude: 0 bytes of efuse verified
avrdude: reading input file "0b11000100"
avrdude: writing hfuse (1 bytes):

avrdude: 1 bytes of hfuse written
avrdude: verifying hfuse memory against 0b11000100:
avrdude: load data hfuse data from input file 0b11000100:
avrdude: input file 0b11000100 contains 1 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip hfuse data:

avrdude: 1 bytes of hfuse verified
avrdude: reading input file "0b10111111"
avrdude: writing lfuse (1 bytes):

avrdude: 1 bytes of lfuse written
avrdude: verifying lfuse memory against 0b10111111:
avrdude: load data lfuse data from input file 0b10111111:
avrdude: input file 0b10111111 contains 1 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip lfuse data:

avrdude: 1 bytes of lfuse verified

avrdude done. Thank you.

AVR Part : ATmega8
Chip Erase delay : 10000 us
PAGEL : PD7
BS2 : PC2
RESET disposition : dedicated
RETRY pulse : SCK
serial program mode : yes
parallel program mode : yes
Timeout : 200
StabDelay : 100
CmdexeDelay : 25
SyncLoops : 32
ByteDelay : 0
PollIndex : 3
PollValue : 0x53
Memory Detail :

Block Poll Page Polled
Memory Type Mode Delay Size Indx Paged Size Size #Pages MinW MaxW ReadBack

eeprom 4 20 128 0 no 512 4 0 9000 9000 0xff 0xff
flash 33 10 64 0 yes 8192 64 128 4500 4500 0xff 0x00
lfuse 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 2000 2000 0x00 0x00
hfuse 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 2000 2000 0x00 0x00
efuse 0 0 0 0 no 0 0 0 0 0 0x00 0x00
lock 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 2000 2000 0x00 0x00
calibration 0 0 0 0 no 4 0 0 0 0 0x00 0x00
signature 0 0 0 0 no 3 0 0 0 0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : usbasp
Description : USBasp, USBasp - USB programmer for Atmel AVR controllers - fischl.de

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9307 (probably m8)
avrdude: NOTE: "flash" memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
avrdude: reading input file "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\MiniCore\hardware\avr\2.0.3/bootloaders/optiboot_flash/bootloaders/atmega8/16000000L/optiboot_flash_atmega8_UART0_115200_16000000L.hex"
avrdude: writing flash (8192 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% -0.00s

avrdude: 8192 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\MiniCore\hardware\avr\2.0.3/bootloaders/optiboot_flash/bootloaders/atmega8/16000000L/optiboot_flash_atmega8_UART0_115200_16000000L.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\MiniCore\hardware\avr\2.0.3/bootloaders/optiboot_flash/bootloaders/atmega8/16000000L/optiboot_flash_atmega8_UART0_115200_16000000L.hex:
avrdude: input file C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\MiniCore\hardware\avr\2.0.3/bootloaders/optiboot_flash/bootloaders/atmega8/16000000L/optiboot_flash_atmega8_UART0_115200_16000000L.hex contains 8192 bytes

avrdude: 8192 bytes of flash verified
avrdude: reading input file "0x0f"
avrdude: writing lock (1 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude: 1 bytes of lock written
avrdude: verifying lock memory against 0x0f:
avrdude: load data lock data from input file 0x0f:
avrdude: input file 0x0f contains 1 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip lock data:

avrdude: 1 bytes of lock verified

avrdude done. Thank you.

D:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin>avrdude -u -c usbasp -p t85 -P usb -B 0.5 -U flash:w:"C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\led\led.ino.hex":a -C "D:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\etc\avrdude.conf"

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.22s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e930b (probably t85)
avrdude: reading input file "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\led\led.ino.hex"
avrdude: writing flash (1264 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 1.16s

avrdude: 1264 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\led\led.ino.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\led\led.ino.hex:
avrdude: input file C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\led\led.ino.hex contains 1264 bytes

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.80s

avrdude: 1264 bytes of flash verified

avrdude done. Thank you.

I don't understand the point of the output you're posting.

I see a partial output from programming an ATmega8 in post #7. Then it looks like maybe the rest of the Burn Bootloader process for the ATmega8 at the start of post #7. But you said that you are having no problems with ATmega8, and the output shows no problems, so I don't understand why you would post this.

Then we have what appears to be the output from writing a compiled sketch file to an ATtiny85 from the command line at the end of post #8. But you already posted that output in post #5 and said you're having no problems writing compiled sketches from the command line to ATtiny85, so I don't understand why you would post this.

What I need is for you to explain the problem you're having (which I believe is Burn Bootloader or Upload Using Programmer to ATtiny85 via the Arduino IDE). I don't need output from the processes that are working fine.

Please do this:

• (In the Arduino IDE) File > Preferences
  • Check the checkbox next to "Show verbose output during: upload".
  • Click the "OK" button.
  • Do a "Burn Bootloader" to your ATtiny85.
  • After the Burn Bootloader process fails, you'll see a button on the right side of the orange bar: "Copy error messages". Click that button.
  • In a forum reply here, click on the reply field.
  • Click the </> button on the forum toolbar. This will add the forum's code tags markup to your reply.
  • Press "Ctrl + V". This will paste the Burn Bootloader output between the code tags.
  • Move the cursor outside of the code tags before you add any additional text to your reply.

The point of that output is to show you that this isn't a problem with hardware it's a problem with that board in the IDE

You see a partial programming because of forum limitation on post length, as per previous posts. This, and the first part of the next post is output from the IDE using the same USBasp as in everything else I've posted. It shows that the problem is not with the hardware. It also shows that the verbose output setting has already been set.

The ATtiny85 output is duplicated in post #8 because I accidentally copied and pasted too much. Mystery solved.

Clearly you do need output from things that are working fine. I posted all the output, such as it is, from the failed bootload and sketch upload and you jumped to the incorrect conclusion that it was perfectly normal and was a problem with the hardware. It seems we're not going to make much progress until that has been undone.

I'm sorry I can't provide you the details you need but that's because the IDE doesn't provide them to me. Perhaps that's the real bug here. Maybe the programming problem could easily be solved if that information was available. I see there's a new version of the IDE so when I get a chance I'll do a fresh install with that and see if it solves the problem. In the meantime, if there's any information I can provide, within the limits of this apparent bug in the IDE output, just let me know.

Also, the reason it took me 4 days to respond is because I didn't receive a notification that you replied. Fix that bug and I'll respond as quickly as I can. I already have a workaround using a script that monitors for compiled sketches and uploads using avrdude but I'm happy to do whatever tests I can to resolve the problem.

abveost:
I posted all the output, such as it is, from the failed bootload and sketch upload

I could be wrong, but I still think there would be more output if you followed the instructions I provided in my last reply.

abveost:
if there's any information I can provide, within the limits of this apparent bug in the IDE output, just let me know.

I still don't understand the problem. You say:

abveost:
fails when using an ATtiny85?

But I don't know what you mean by "fails". Are you seeing an error message? If so, what does it say?

abveost:
Also, the reason it took me 4 days to respond is because I didn't receive a notification that you replied.

Isn't that annoying? I had the same problem when I first started using this forum. It seems the default forum settings are for notifications to be disabled. I suspect that quite a few people who ask questions here assume they never got an answer because they don't get notifications.

You can enable notifications by:

• Hover the mouse pointer over your avatar in the top right corner of any arduino.cc page.
  • Click "Profile".
  • Click "Forum Settings > Edit".
  • Click the "Settings" tab.
  • Click "Notifications".
  • Configure the notifications settings according to your preferences.
  • Click the "Save settings" button.

abveost:
Fix that bug and I'll respond as quickly as I can.

I very much wish I could, but I don't have the necessary access.