Universal BT?

Hello, I made a bot, I use HC-05 for BT remote control, I also made an app on my Andriod device as a remote control app, all works fine. However, I use the same program logic to make a iOS remote control app, the iOS won't recognize the HC-05. I read that due to some stupid licensing issues, iOS won't recognize the HC-05, for iOS I need to use HM-10 instead. Now my question is if I switch to HM-10, would the Andriod recognize the HM-10? In essence, I am looking for a bluetooth module that would work for both iOS and Andriod. Thanks.

HC-05 is a bluetooth module while HM-10 is a BLE (bluetooth low energy) module. Despite the name the two standard have almost nothing in common except using the same radio frequency band.
The HM-10 probably works with all Android devices supporting BLE but not with those devices supporting only bluetooth (most modern devices support BLE). I don't know if the HM-10 is supported by iOS, at least here on the forum I found people who cannot pair the HM-10 with an iPhone.

For support for the HC-05 the smartphone has to support Bluetooth Serial Profile. For the HM-10 it has to support the GATT BLE profile. Check if your iOS device has support for that before choosing the hardware.

I believe that Apple iOS doesn't support Bluetooth Serial.

I ran into this a couple weeks ago trying to pair a clone ELM327 automotive OBD2 wifi device with my wife's iPhone. Various places on the internet say it is because iOS doesn't support the Bluetooth Serial Port Protocol. The device did work with both of the Android handsets I tried.

af1812:
iOS won't recognize the HC-05. I read that due to some stupid licensing issues, iOS won't recognize the HC-05, for iOS I need to use HM-10 instead. Now my question is if I switch to HM-10, would the Andriod recognize the HM-10? In essence, I am looking for a bluetooth module that would work for both iOS and Andriod. Thanks.

HC-05 is incompatible with IOS simply because IOS is BT4 only, and HC-05 is BT2. In answer to your question, I would look much further up the price ladder than an HM-10. I think they are more trouble than they are worth and, if they are good for anything, it is not as an HC-05 replacement. I believe the real solution to using bluetooth like one would with Android and HC-05 when you have an iPhone, is to get an Android.

As Pylon says, HM-10 is essentially bluetooth in name only, and I don't think it is intended to be used in plain-vanilla SPP protocol like an HC-05 with anything. Further, I don't think it is backward compatible with BT2 in accordance with proper BT4 standards. Nobody has explained this, and I'm guessing, but I believe SPP apps only work in BT2. This is not a problem with a proper BT4 device, like your phone, but does explain why I have never gotten my HM-10s to work with Android. I can always see it, and I can actually connect with it using some useless BT4-specific app, but I can't do anything useful with it. The warning therein is that you may have to develop a BT4 Android up, but you probably know more about than than I do.

I think I have ditched my HM-10s but I believe they are not entirely useless, just useless for me, and are intended to talk among themselves and do things that apple freaks do, such as iBeacons and the like, for which they are presumably fine as there are examples of that ilk in this forum.

In BT4 (BLE) there is no SPP equivalent to my knowledge, so "simple" serial communication is not possible with that standard.

Which I guess goes some way to explain why I get gormless looks from iPhone users when talking about simple data collecting with a bluetooth terminal. I assumed it was just a cultural thing.