Arduino Yun - UART Through USB Host to Nexys 4 DDR FPGA Board

Hey all!

I'm working on a project that requires reading and writing data to an SD card, and I want to make the algorithms that evaluate incoming data in hardware. I found out that the only way to read/write to an SD card through my FPGA board would be to implement a processor and then write software, which would defeat the purpose of using the FPGA board in the first place.

So, I've decided that I'm going to use my Arduino Yun to read information from a micro SD card, and then encode it into binary and send each piece of data to the FPGA in UART.

(The data consists of base pairs in DNA, so I'm making each base pair take up four bits, and making it into more of a logic map rather than any kind of ASCII map or anything - the details of this choice aren't very important, but it makes using UART and binary valid for this application.)

However, the only thing that can carry the UART signal for the FPGA board is the micro USB slot, so I have to plug a cable into that, and the other end of it into the USB Host of the Arduino.

I've come to understand that the Yun's USB Host is connected solely to the on-board Linux processor, and while I understand that this means that I need to install various packages onto the micro SD card that I've used to extend the Yun's memory, I'm not sure what packages to use, or even how to go about using them.

Could anyone point me in the direction of libraries/packages that I should install, and what sort of code I should write to implement this functionality?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if I've left out any details!

GyldenGlor:
Hey all!

I'm working on a project that requires reading and writing data to an SD card, and I want to make the algorithms that evaluate incoming data in hardware. I found out that the only way to read/write to an SD card through my FPGA board would be to implement a processor and then write software, which would defeat the purpose of using the FPGA board in the first place.

So, I've decided that I'm going to use my Arduino Yun to read information from a micro SD card, and then encode it into binary and send each piece of data to the FPGA in UART.

(The data consists of base pairs in DNA, so I'm making each base pair take up four bits, and making it into more of a logic map rather than any kind of ASCII map or anything - the details of this choice aren't very important, but it makes using UART and binary valid for this application.)

However, the only thing that can carry the UART signal for the FPGA board is the micro USB slot, so I have to plug a cable into that, and the other end of it into the USB Host of the Arduino.

I've come to understand that the Yun's USB Host is connected solely to the on-board Linux processor, and while I understand that this means that I need to install various packages onto the micro SD card that I've used to extend the Yun's memory, I'm not sure what packages to use, or even how to go about using them.

Could anyone point me in the direction of libraries/packages that I should install, and what sort of code I should write to implement this functionality?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if I've left out any details!

ssh to your Arduino YUN and start with the opkg command.

need to update the opkg cache

opkg update

first determine what is all ready loaded.

opkg list-installed | less

next determine what is available

opkg list | less

want to know information about a package?

opkg info <package-name>

example:

opkg info kmod-video-uvc | less

the output will vary depending on whether your Arduino YUN is running Linino or OpenWRT.

also look at this page.
It is specific to OpenWRT so beware if your Ardunio YUN is running Linino

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ExpandingYunDiskSpace