My Arduino Nano decided to stop working?

Shouldn't the resistors I have drop the current enough to prevent that kind of damage? I don't know if you can see them but there are 8 of them (one for each row on the screen) right up against the nano.

Oh and the IC is just a shift register.

Jumbosize:
Shouldn't the resistors I have drop the current enough to prevent that kind of damage?

No, I didn't see the resistors. my bad.

I'd still check to see if the diode is damaged, that's the gate between the regulator/5V pin and Vusb.

Okay, I will. However, do you know where it might be located? because if it is on the underside I have no way to get to it since my nano is directly soldered in place.

Jumbosize:
Okay, I will. However, do you know where it might be located? because if it is on the underside I have no way to get to it since my nano is directly soldered in place.

As I recall, it's on the bottom. next to the tantalum caps (yellow parts).

Am I here?
Like I said in Reply #2:
Look to see if there is 5V at the 5V pin when it's plugged in to the USB connector.
If there's not then that diode is shot.

Yes I saw your first post Runaway Pancake and I guess you didn't see my response where I said I wasn't sure what you were asking...

Can you please explain what you mean? I'm sorry, I guess I don't know enough about this to know what you're telling me to do. Do you mean with like a multimeter or something?

Plug your Nano into the USB
Get out your voltmeter.
If you don't measure 5V with the positive lead on "5V" and the negative lead on one of the Nano's "Gnd" terminals then that aforementioned diode is b-a-d.

Okay thank you. I will check that right when I get home and I'll tell you the results

OK

Jumbosize:
Yes I saw your first post Runaway Pancake and I guess you didn't see my response where I said I wasn't sure what you were asking...

Well, given --

Jumbosize:
DVDdoug:
I'm not really sure what you're trying to say... I see the portion of the schematic your referring to but what am I supposed to do with this? Sorry...

I'm not DVDdoug, so I jumped right over that.

My apologies, I meant to put your name.

Well I am now home but I can't seem to find my multimeter anywhere... I guess we'll have to put this endeavor on hold until I find it. Unless somebody else has advice.

I'd like to thank everybody who has given me feedback so far, I really appreciate it!

Alright, so I found my multimeter and tested as suggested. There did not appear to be 5V present so I suppose the diode is indeed shot.

Now I guess my question is what could have caused that to happen? It literally just happened out of nowhere while it was plugged into my computer.

Diode failure -- Too much current through the diode, as exceeding the PIV was more unlikely.
Easy enough to replace.

You'd have to post a complete schematic of your project for someone to be able to point out a specific (likely) cause.

It happened to me too.
I was just testing an lcd 16x2 hooked on a I2C bus to the nano.
Could the lcd backligth fried the diode ?

0VV0:
It happened to me too.
I was just testing an lcd 16x2 hooked on a I2C bus to the nano.

Could the lcd backligth fried the diode ?

Yes, very much so!

// Per.

I've got almost the same trouble but the voltage at "5V" pin is about 1.4V
I was just testing a simple sketch and then, after connecting a resistor, it switched off.

How are you powering the Nano? What is connected to the OUTPUT pins and the 5V pin? post a wiring diagram.

Power from USB
There is a led connected to OUTPUT pin and nothing at +5V pin

If you connect a plain LED between an output pin and either ground or 5 V, you will get a very bright but short lived LED with significantly less than 5 V across it, and may damage the Arduino.

If you think otherwise, better make a decent effort at describing what you are actually doing.

Paul__B:
If you connect a plain LED between an output pin and either ground or 5 V, you will get a very bright but short lived LED with significantly less than 5 V across it, and may damage the Arduino.

If you think otherwise, better make a decent effort at describing what you are actually doing.

The led is connected through a resistor