WIFI Shield firmware update 1.0.5 attempt

It's very difficult to determine the correct revision levels of the wifi firmware either on github or by device read back. As you note all of the firmware revisions read out as 1.0.0 regardless of the date they were revised. Also, the firmware has been in more than one repository on github, so how do you know you are loading the most current?

I have tried many combinations of IDE revision level, firmware revision level, and the various examples of wifi shield server sketches and none has produced a reliable system for me. Add to that trying three different LANs and four different browsers. You would think that if the design of the wifi shield and software is good, at least something would work.

I have three wifi shields. My project is a web server. One works for a while but fails in a week or so. One stays up for a couple of days. The third has never successfully operated as a server. These are the results using identical firmware and software on all three.

I think the conclusion must be that there are design or manufacturing flaws in the wifi shield product. Given the casual/vague nature of the support and firmware revision controls, the arduino people do not seem to know how to fix it or support it. If you read the comments in the forum, nobody seems to report success with the product. I know failing projects get reported more frequently because people want help. But usually someone will report success if they have encountered it. Where are the successes?

I am having trouble updating the firmware. I have tried on Mac using these instructions:

But, I cannot get past step 3 or 4.

I dont understand what it means by "enabling the jumper".

I also dont understand what the instructions mean in step 4. What am I meant to do with these scripts?

Is it easier to upgrade the wifi shield on windows 7?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Arduino support sent me a wifiHD.elf file for 1.0.5 and it worked perfectly for me. This is supposed to be the same file in the IDE 1.0.5. If you are having trouble upgrading the firmware on the wifi shield to 1.0.5, please contact me and I will send you the file and answer other questions you have with upgrading.

I'm also struggling with this upgrade. I have downloaded the two .elf files but when I run batchisp I get the following:

Running batchisp 1.2.5 on Fri Aug 02 09:13:42 2013

AT32UC3A1256 - USB - USB/DFU

Device selection....................... PASS
Hardware selection..................... PASS
Opening port........................... PASS
Reading Bootloader version............. PASS    1.0.2
Erasing................................ PASS
Selecting FLASH........................ PASS
Blank checking......................... PASS    0x00000 0x3ffff
Parsing ELF file....................... Can't open input file "c:\temp\wifi_dnld
.elf"
FAIL    Reading error.
(A)bort, (R)etry, (I)gnore ?

I've tried moving the .elf files local to the \bin directory and that doesn't help. Any suggestions?

Hi fboundy, can you please provide the statement you used for batchisp?

i've the same problem, instead i used avr32 studio 2.6 and succesfully upgrade the firmware but its still not working i cant get through the examples in the arduino IDE. anyone know how to make the official wifi shield work with and arduino UNO R3 ??

Can you verify the firmware updated to the wifi shield by adding Serial.println(WiFi.firmwareVersion()) to your program on the UNO and making sure it comes back as 1.1.0? I tested that my 1.0.5 IDE works with the UNO R3.

i'm sure the version is 1.1.0 and seems to be working with some of the examples in the arduino IDE but not with all of them, i'll keep trying some of the examples and post the ones in wich is not working.

Hi,
I got the same problem with updating the firmware and I found a simlpe solution:
I took a copy of "wifi_dnld.elf" into the main path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Flip 3.4.7\bin"
and erased the path in the statement.
That's not elegant but worked well.

This did not work:

[color=blue]cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Flip 3.4.7\bin

C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Flip 3.4.7\bin>batchisp.exe -device AT32UC3A1256 -h
ardware usb -operation erase f memory flash blankcheck loadbuffer /Arduino/hardw
are/arduino/firmwares/wifishield/binary/wifi_dnld.elf program verify start reset
Running batchisp 1.2.5 on Fri Oct 18 20:19:58 2013

Parsing ELF file....................... Can't open input file "/Arduino/hardware
/arduino/firmwares/wifishield/binary/wifi_dnld.elf"
FAIL    Reading error.
(A)bort, (R)etry, (I)gnore ? a

[/color]

But this worked well:

[color=blue]C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Flip 3.4.7\bin>
C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Flip 3.4.7\bin>batchisp.exe -device AT32UC3A1256 -h
ardware usb -operation erase f memory flash blankcheck loadbuffer wifi_dnld.elf
program verify start reset 0
Running batchisp 1.2.5 on Fri Oct 18 20:22:48 2013

Parsing ELF file....................... PASS    wifi_dnld.elf
WARNING: The user program and the bootloader overlap!
Programming memory..................... PASS    0x00000 0x2902b
Verifying memory....................... PASS    0x00000 0x2902b
Starting Application................... PASS    RESET   0
[color=blue]
Summary:  Total 11   Passed 11   Failed 0[/color]

Does the UDP send/receive example work since your upgrade?

Hello,

Update:

I got the UDP send/receive to work!

In summary, need to install USB driver for Shield from Flip usb directory,
then need to use wifiHD.elf file to update,
then it works

I'm having some similar issues.
Right out of the box, I could use the WiFi simple web server example to connect to a network, but couldn't get a web server to see the device (via the reported IP address).

I then tried upgrading the shield firmware (have 1.0.5 IDE), and after some effort got what almost looked ok except the bootloader overlap warning (see below).

After this firmware upgrade though, the example can't find the shield, and the shield has a solid blu LED on (data).

Any clues or help appreciated.

Update:

I tried using the wifiHD.elf file, and now I'm back to connecting to a network. The instructions show using wifi_dnld.elf.
And then I got the UDP send/receive to work!

Regards,
Ric

C:\Program Files\Atmel\Flip 3.4.7\bin>batchisp.exe -device AT32UC3A1256 -hardwar
e usb -operation erase f memory flash blankcheck loadbuffer wifi_dnld.elf progra
m verify start reset 0
Running batchisp 1.2.5 on Wed Feb 12 23:28:34 2014

Reading Bootloader version............. PASS 1.0.2
Blank checking......................... PASS 0x00000 0x3ffff
Parsing ELF file....................... PASS wifi_dnld.elf
WARNING: The user program and the bootloader overlap!
Programming memory..................... PASS 0x00000 0x2902b
Verifying memory....................... PASS 0x00000 0x2902b
Starting Application................... PASS RESET 0

Summary: Total 11 Passed 11 Failed 0

C:\Program Files\Atmel\Flip 3.4.7\bin>

Hello rperegrino/everybody,

I have the same problem with my arduino wifi shield (http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/ArduinoWiFiShield_Front_450px.jpg) : solid blue led !!! :0

I have Windows 7 with Arduino 1.0.5-r2 !

I use wifi_dnld.elf and wifiHD.elf finding in folder "arduino-1.0.5-r2-windows" :

• wifi_dnld.elf --> 08/01/2014
  • wifiHD.elf --> 08/01/2014

I copied two files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Flip 3.4.7 ...

To upgrade firmware I installed Atmel/Flip 3.4.7 and I use these command :

• Directory : C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Flip 3.4.7>
  • wifi_dnld.elf --> batchisp.exe -device AT32UC3A1512 -hardware usb -operation erase f memory flash blankcheck loadbuffer wifi_dnld.elf program verify start reset 0
  • wifiHD.elf --> batchisp.exe -device AT32UC3A1512 -hardware usb -operation erase f memory flash blankcheck loadbuffer wifiHD.elf program verify start reset 0

Can you explain me what is my problem please ? I need help !!! =(

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Alex

And I use Arduino Mega 2560 ! Sorry.

alexis10clement:
Hello rperegrino/everybody,

I have the same problem with my arduino wifi shield (http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/ArduinoWiFiShield_Front_450px.jpg) : solid blue led !!! :0

I have Windows 7 with Arduino 1.0.5-r2 !

I use wifi_dnld.elf and wifiHD.elf finding in folder "arduino-1.0.5-r2-windows" :

• wifi_dnld.elf --> 08/01/2014
  • wifiHD.elf --> 08/01/2014

I copied two files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Flip 3.4.7 ...

To upgrade firmware I installed Atmel/Flip 3.4.7 and I use these command :

• wifi_dnld.elf --> batchisp.exe -device AT32UC3A1512 -hardware usb -operation erase f memory flash blankcheck loadbuffer wifi_dnld.elf program verify start reset 0
  • wifiHD.elf --> batchisp.exe -device AT32UC3A1512 -hardware usb -operation erase f memory flash blankcheck loadbuffer wifiHD.elf program verify start reset 0

Can you explain me what is my problem please ? I need help !!! =(

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Alex

Hi Alex,

After updating using the wifiHD.elf file, it worked for me.. The wifi_dnld.elf did not work for me. I'm also on Mega 2560.
What output do you see from the Flip program? Perhaps you can copy that here and it might provide some clues.

Regards,
Ric

Look at reply #9 and reply #11. That is the output from a successful upgrade.

Hi Ric,

Thanks for your reply !

This is a screenshot of my command prompt ...

• Files in this directory
  • Command line I use : batchisp.exe -device AT32UC3A1512 -hardware usb -operation erase f memory flash blankcheck loadbuffer wifiHD.elf program verify start reset 0

What is the problem ? Please !!!

Thanks,

Alex

There doesn't appear to be a problem. It looks like it worked to me. What makes you think there is a problem?

edit: Insure you do the same for wifi_dnld.elf

I resume :

Shield wifi not connected to arduino mega 2560

• First step : jumper on shield wifi
  • Upgrate wifi_dlnd
  • Reset button on shield
  • Upgrate wifi_hd
  • Reset button on shield
  • Disconnect jumper

Connect shield to arduino mega 2560

In my code I write :

if (WiFi.status() == WL_NO_SHIELD)
{
digitalWrite(9, HIGH);
while(true);
}

And my LED is ON !!! :frowning:

What step is wrong ?

Thanks for your help ... I am going crazy !!!

Alex

It sounds like you have a problem with the physical connection of the shield to the Arduino. Are you sure the shield is seated correctly and completely on the Mega?

Is the Mega2560 a R3 model also? If not, there will be two overhanging shield pins on each side, and that will require a jumper wire from the 5v to the ioref pin on the shield.

I have the Mega 2560 ADK (docs.cc).
There is a difference with Mega 2560 ? Something to change with hardware or software ?