Feasible to digitize 7-segment display by connecting to underlying circuit?

Grumpy_Mike: Wow, that was very interesting and definitely open up my eyes on this subject. Thank you very much for sharing. Basically, what you're saying (or said in 1987) is that my egg most probably is not worth the vast amount of work required, but that said, it is possible.

I'm still curious about one thing. You write that the number of connections for the LCD display can be calculated by either 7N+1 or 3N+3, given my display has either 6 or 8 digits there should be 21, 27, 43 or 57 connections, yet I count 36? My best guess is that it's a triplex display and that several of the connections on the circuit are not in use. Does that make sense?

Seeing as I have no information about the connections (which are in use, which drive the backplanes etc.) and I cannot actually read the digits and the connection voltages at the same time. I'll revert back to plan B which was actually plan A namely to use a PC and webcam. There's more hardware involved, but I've already prototyped the software and it works like a charm.

I don't suppose the supplier will have any interest of disclosing any information...

Grumpy_Mike: Thank you again very much for that in-depth article, right on the money!