Differences in ST7735 Versions ?

Hi all,

So iv'e been looking at various display options for a project and have decided on using a 1.8 inch 160x128 LCD display but i'm confused as to which version of the ST7735 driver chip is the right one to use.

There's 3 options available primarily : the ST7735B ( seems cheapest on price ), the ST7735R or the ST7735S ( both of these two are slightly more expensive ).

Anyone able to clarify what the functional differences between these chips are and how the different versions may affect what coding is required ?

Thx in advance for your replies.

I have never seen a ST7735B controller or datasheet. If you have a datasheet please link or PM me.

I doubt if you will ever see a ST7735R. Most modules use ST7735S.

I doubt if you will ever see a ST7735. The -R and -S variants have Vertical Scroll which is not available on the original ST7735.

Quite honestly, it is best to choose a display for convenience rather than price.
e.g. is it 5V tolerant? Most Ebay boards are not. (do NOT believe the vendors)
e.g. is it on a regular shield?
e.g. is it easy to wire up with level shifters etc ?

David.

david_prentice:
I have never seen a ST7735B controller or datasheet. If you have a datasheet please link or PM me.

I doubt if you will ever see a ST7735R. Most modules use ST7735S.

I doubt if you will ever see a ST7735. The -R and -S variants have Vertical Scroll which is not available on the original ST7735.

Quite honestly, it is best to choose a display for convenience rather than price.
e.g. is it 5V tolerant? Most Ebay boards are not. (do NOT believe the vendors)
e.g. is it on a regular shield?
e.g. is it easy to wire up with level shifters etc ?

David.

Cheers for the reply David, and OMG you do get around !

Iv'e seen your comments on various forums for arduino and some even related to this exact topic. It's great to see people as committed as yourself :wink:

Part of my confusion is the inability to find any datasheet reference of the ST7735B variant. My curiosity is getting the better of me, so i'll order one of these alleged "B" series driven displays just to see if I can get to the bottom of this puzzle. If it's anything like my previous experiences with Chinese made items, it's often simply the language issues are all that's at fault for description errors, highly likely the case here. I suspect its using the standard ST7735 base model or the R/S variant.

Is vertical scrolling the only functional difference between the base/R/S versions of the ST7735 or are there other things I should be factoring in ( beyond the 5V/3.3V ) ?

I'll update when it arrives, which is probably a month or more off as shipping to Australia is still embedded in the stone age. These 'china cheapy' products are just to good on price point to exclude as an option for hobbyists IMHO, considering comparable displays from western countries are often 3 to 5 times the price. The display I mentioned is all of $5 (AUD) inc shipping.

Life is simpler if you post a link or photo of the pcb.
Other members may recognise or even own the same item.

Ebay is a lottery. Vendors lie. Vendors often supply different items to the website description.

5V tolerance is only needed for 5V boards like Uno, Mega2560, ...

David.