On-board lights on a CH340 Nano by Keyestudio

I am so new to this that I have no idea what I am doing. I installed the Blink | Arduino 1.8.9 software on a Win 10 computer. Plugged in the unit, and power light turns RED, and a light blinks red with a label "K"

I am trying to run the simple BLINK test program. Choose the NANO board, processer, and port. All seems OK, but nothing happens.

First thing that come to mind is that since the lights are RED, something must be wrong. The "K" light started blinking red the second I plugged it in.

Thanks for any help.

jw_page:
Plugged in the unit, and power light turns RED, and a light blinks red with a label "K"

This is normal and doesn't indicate any problem. Normally the onboard LED would be marked "L", but it's possible Keyestudio decided to mark it "K" for some unknown reason (perhaps that makes more sense for some non-English language?).

jw_page:
I am trying to run the simple BLINK test program. Choose the NANO board, processer, and port. All seems OK, but nothing happens.

The expected behavior of the Blink sketch is to make the on board LED blink at 0.5 Hz. Your LED is blinking, so it sounds like there is no problem. My recommendation is to study the Blink sketch code until you understand how you can modify it to blink at a different rate. Refer to the Arduino Language Reference for information on any code you don't understand:

Once you have modified the Blink sketch to blink at a noticeably different rate, upload the sketch to your Nano and then watch the LED to see if it behaves as expected.

jw_page:
First thing that come to mind is that since the lights are RED, something must be wrong.

This is incorrect. There is no LED on the Nano (or any other Arduino board) that indicates an error. The color of the LED is meaningless and it will always be the same color. Keyestudio just happened to select red colored LEDs.

Now it's time for you stop with the unnecessary worrying and get back to having fun with Arduino!

You're right it is a "L" I changed the delay from 100 to 2000 and it still blinks at the same 1 second. That is why I thought the RED light might mean that there was something wrong. I am also assuming that once UPLOADED it starts to RUN? Or this there another step after LOADING?

jw_page:
You're right it is a "L" I changed the delay from 100 to 2000 and it still blinks at the same 1 second.

Please post the sketch.

jw_page:
I am also assuming that once UPLOADED it starts to RUN? Or this there another step after LOADING?

That's correct. Did you get a "Done Uploading" message on the teal bar in the middle of the Arduino IDE window after the upload finished?

No, but I noticed these errors after a minute. Also it keeps changing COM ports. One time 3 and this 4. Or I have to change them.

So I am guessing that these error are the issue.
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5e
Do I need to configure to baud rate on the COM ports? If so to what settings? I think I saw 9600-N-1, and that seems old time slow.

jw_page:
No, but I noticed these errors after a minute.

Now we're getting somewhere. Select Tools > Processor > ATmega328P (Old Bootloader) and then try uploading again.

jw_page:
Do I need to configure to baud rate on the COM ports?

No. That configuration makes absolutely no difference.

Perfection! Now it is uploading, and I can change the delay values, and see that it is working.
Thanks

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear it's working now. Enjoy!
Per