Unused i/o pins on Mega 1280/2560---IDE support?

I am working on a project that will need the 15 I/O pins that are not wired up on the production Arduino Mega 1280 or 2560.

I will be making my own boards so i will be able to access them. My question is does the IDE support these pin choices directly e.g.

digitalWrite(65,HIGH) or would I have to use bit level addressing?

In my current sketch if I use a nonsense pin number like 231, or such the compiler, does not complain.....IDE 22, but I can't yet access those extra I/O pins to see if they are responding to my program when valid unused pin numbers are used.

Thanks

David Garrison

The tables under the covers that Arduino uses to map digitalRead/Write input pin numbers to AVR ports/bits do contain 69 entries, as opposed to 54. So based on simply a quick perusal of the code, it does appear that the software will support all 69 IO points.

Thanks for the response.

Where might I find these tables so I can try to figure out how to assign pin numbers to the presently unused digital ports?

I am using the windows version of the IDE. I took a quick look in the IDE folders and didn't find what I thought I might be looking for!

Best regards and thanks again

David Garrison

On windows, it would show up (for example) in

\arduino-0022\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\pins_arduino.c

Thanks Much!

David G.