how to get code hint on IDE (auto complete)

Please how can i get gode hint on the IDE (auto complete)...
i tried using Cntrl + space and its not working.

thanks in advance.

The Arduino IDE is pretty basic, I don't believe it has any such feature. You'll need to look at alternative toolchains for that - VS, eclipse etc.

Auto Complete is currently only available with the beta build of the Arduino IDE:

I just tried it with the latest beta build (Windows) and I can confirm that Ctrl + Space does enable it. Note that the first time you enable it there is a longish delay where the IDE appears to be hanging, but if you wait some seconds it will start working again.

Pert thanks for the link...

You're welcome. I'm glad if I was able to be of assistance. Enjoy!
Per

In Arduino version 1.8.12 you can use Ctrl+Enter to auto complete .it will not show drop-down but will work.

1 Like

mine243:
In Arduino version 1.8.12 you can use Ctrl+Enter to auto complete .it will not show drop-down but will work.

Please provide detailed instructions on how I can try this out. I don't see any result when I press Ctrl+Enter in Arduino IDE 1.8.12.

first make any variable like,

** int My_num =0;**

Now whenever you want to use this just like first letter of variable name like, M and after that press Ctrl and Enter button together and it will write whole name like ,My_num.

1 Like

Thanks @mine243! I understand now.

I see this feature has been available since Arduino IDE 1.6.5, when they switched to using RSyntaxTextArea as the Arduino IDE's editor. I consider myself a bit of an expert on using the Arduino IDE, but I never knew about this.

Yes I just got this working today only. Happy exploring.

mine243:
first make any variable like,

** int My_num =0;**

Now whenever you want to use this just like first letter of variable name like, M and after that press Ctrl and Enter button together and it will write whole name like ,My_num.

Not quite whenever as it does not seem to work inside brackets, for instance, but still quite useful if I can remember to use it. It may also encourage the use of longer, more descriptive variable names, but we shall see

We've had this since IDE 1.6.5 !!! Wow good work @mine243

UKHeliBob:
Not quite whenever as it does not seem to work inside brackets, for instance, but still quite useful if I can remember to use it. It may also encourage the use of longer, more descriptive variable names, but we shall see

It works anywhere for me and cycles thru all possible choices but it is very flaky. Sometimes it works great others it will show 0-few choices before it stops responding.

Hey thanks :slight_smile: