5x5x5 LED cube help

CrossRoads:
I would suggest PNPs for common anode layers, and open drain shift registers, TPIC6B595 type, on the cathode columns.
Can use 5 '595s, 25 for cathode, and 5 to pull the PNP gates low to turn them on.
Each TPIC6B595 can easily sink the 160mA from 8 LEDs all on at once at 20mA if want them good & bright.

that makes a lot of sense and would probably be the best way to do it, but i am on a tight budget. i do not want to spend more than i have to. right now i can get 20 of the 74HC595 shift registers for $5. but it would be $10 to get 5 of the TPIC6B595's. so it wouldn't end up costing much more, but i wouldn't have any spares in case something happened. i am pretty much a noob, so if i accidentally wired it wrong or shorted something out and fried all of the shift registers (or TPIC6B595's) i would have plenty to replace them. but if i bought some TPIC6B595's i would probably buy only a few since they are much more expensive. yes with regular 74HC595 shift registers i will have to buy transistors, but those are extremely cheap and they are always nice to have laying around in case i need them for something or for future projects.