resistances on EEPROM wiring?

I want to use an 24LC256 EEPROM. I take a look to the data sheet, on internet and in this forum about how to wire it, and i observed differences about f you resistances in SDA and SCL connections of the EEPROM to Arduino board.

Here is an example where they do not use resistances:

Here is an example where they say that is necessary in both i2C connections:

And the datasheet only say something about resistances in SDA (but do not say anything about resistances in SCL):

So, my questions are:

Is it really necessary resistances on i2c with this eeprom? In both connections (or only on SDA)? What resistance value should i use?

May be they are easy questions, but i don´t want to burn my arduino duemilanove...
Thanks for your help!

AFAIK you always need pullup resistors with I2C, it's an open collector/drain bus, it's possible the first example used the internal ones.

As for the value for a single device and short line it probably doesn't matter much, try 4k7.

Rob

Great. Thanks Graynomad!

I will try it.

by the way, i just saw this other example using 4K7 resistances in both SDA and SCL, more over a 0.1uF ceramic capacitor between +5V and GND of the EEPROM. I suposse that to stablilize the power.

Thanks!

madepablo:
more over a 0.1uF ceramic capacitor between +5V and GND of the EEPROM. I suposse that to stablilize the power.

http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Tutorial/De-coupling.html

Thanks Coding Badly!!

Tested!

It works perfectly with 4K7 pull up resistances on SDA and SCL I2C pins.
Thanks guys!