Arduino IDE does not start

Hi,

I have been working with Arduino for a while. I have installed the IDE on several computers without a hitch. I just purchased a new Atom based Shuttle computer. It's used for some monitoring so I needed something small and cheap. I also hooked up an Arduino Uno to it for temp monitoring and I installed the IDE on it. Well, the IDE will not run. The splash screen appears for a few seconds and disappears.

It's definitely a Java issue. The error in the Windows Event Log is as follows:
Faulting application name: javaw.exe, version: 6.0.160.1, time stamp: 0x4a73483d
Faulting module name: jvm.dll, version: 14.2.0.1, time stamp: 0x4a737ccf
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00174bcc
Faulting process id: 0xd88
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd4c098d4394b2
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\arduino-1.0.1\java\bin\javaw.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\arduino-1.0.1\java\bin\client\jvm.dll

Here is what I've done to troubleshoot:

• Installed Java on the computer, renamed the java folder in the Arduino program folder to java.old. It then tries to use the Java install in Windows. But I'm getting a similar event as above.
  • Installed an older version of Arduino IDE. Same result.

Here is some info on my environment:
Intel Atom D2700 2.13Ghz
Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
2Gb RAM

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bart

You might try running Arduino by invoking java from the command line, as this should print the exception, if any, that's being thrown. I think you can run "arduino.exe --l4j-debug" to get the right command line.

Thanks for your response. I tried that command. Where does it print the exception? The application event log doesn't seem to log anything different.

Thanks,

Bart

Belgian:
Thanks for your response. I tried that command. Where does it print the exception? The application event log doesn't seem to log anything different.

You aren't going to see much from the JVM -- the native part of the VM is failing with an access violation (it has tried to access memory that it doesn't own). So there are no Java traces or exceptions to show. The runtime library is failing completely.

I'd start with the basics. Can you run the VM at all? Run javaw.exe directly from the command line using an absolute path, passing it the -verbose option. Does it run at all? Does java.exe run?

I suspect this is a permissions problem running jvm.dll or one of its dependencies. What happens if you run Arduino as Administrator?

Thanks for helping me out.

See attached file for the results I get when I run java.exe from the Arduino java\bin folder in a command prompt. I ran java.exe - verbose and I ran java.exe - version. Both commands run fine and it doesn't spawn any errors in the Application Log.
I also tried to run Arduino as Administrator and I get the same result, with the same error in the Application Log as running it normally.

One additional note: I'm running another program that requires Java just fine - APC Powerchute.

The mystery continues.

Thanks,

bart

java from cmd.txt (25.3 KB)

Belgian:
Thanks for helping me out.

See attached file for the results I get when I run java.exe from the Arduino java\bin folder in a command prompt. I ran java.exe - verbose and I ran java.exe - version. Both commands run fine and it doesn't spawn any errors in the Application Log.
I also tried to run Arduino as Administrator and I get the same result, with the same error in the Application Log as running it normally.

One additional note: I'm running another program that requires Java just fine - APC Powerchute.

Right, but it's likely not running /this/ JVM, but its own, or a system-wide VM.

The launch4j ref given earlier might be your best bet, actually. You just need to find the launch4j.log (or is it Arduino.log?) file it creates.

Given the VM can at least startup, it is probably failing when loading some of the native libs it needs, which other apps and simple tests will never reference.

I attached the launch4j.log file. Doesn't tell me much. I'll search the exit code in Google and see if it comes upt with anything.

launch4j.log (667 Bytes)

Belgian:
I attached the launch4j.log file. Doesn't tell me much. I'll search the exit code in Google and see if it comes upt with anything.

Well, you can try this yourself at the command line:

cd C:\Program Files\arduino-1.0.1
C:\Program Files\arduino-1.0.1\java\bin\java.exe -Xms128m -Xmx128m -classpath "lib;C:\Program Files\arduino-1.0.1\java\lib\tools.jar;lib\pde.jar;lib\core.jar;lib\jna.jar;lib\ecj.jar;lib\RXTXcomm.jar" processing.app.Base

Hi,

So I tried the command you suggested. It errored out. Attached is the log it wrote to my Arduino folder. Really not sure what to do next. I guess I can log a bug report to the url in the log file.

If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but I'm running this on an Intel Atom processor. Does that matter? Is the Arduino IDE compatible with the Atom processor?

Thanks,

Bart

hs_err_pid1104.log (1.39 KB)

Belgian:
Hi,

So I tried the command you suggested. It errored out. Attached is the log it wrote to my Arduino folder. Really not sure what to do next. I guess I can log a bug report to the url in the log file.

If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but I'm running this on an Intel Atom processor. Does that matter? Is the Arduino IDE compatible with the Atom processor?

Thanks,

Bart

Well, that's not good. Access violation in the JRE. This could be pretty much anything to do with the native runtime environment. It could even be bad RAM, or a bad driver. We'd have to stare at the coredump to even start figuring this out.

Though, I am confused that your original error report mentions Java 6, and this latest error references Java 7. Is this really what Arduino installs? Why does it report 6 earlier, but 7 here?

We should rule out some odd config problem.

Can you just reinstall the software from a test account that has admin rights? Make sure you run the installer as an admin, and run it as an admin. See if you get the same results.

I have the exact same problem, also an ATOM computer. Have installed Arduino IDE countless times on computers, never a problem...until this little one which uses an ATOM processor.

This one is a fit-pci, small thing, like the shuttle.

So I think we've found something unusual with Java, unfortunately for us.

Not sure where or what to do with this issue.

gbrill:
I have the exact same problem, also an ATOM computer. Have installed Arduino IDE countless times on computers, never a problem...until this little one which uses an ATOM processor.

This one is a fit-pci, small thing, like the shuttle.

So I think we've found something unusual with Java, unfortunately for us.

Not sure where or what to do with this issue.

See here for enabling minidumps on Windows: http://kb.acronis.com/content/2191

Unfortunately, there is no information on this Exception in the Java bugparade, so this is a new JRE bug, or the OS on this architecture is flawed. But something happened on the native side, and the JRE can't even recover -- all it can tell you is that the OS might have a dump of the process prior to the exception.

You could try setting Arduino to use a different JRE than the bundled one.

In your Arduino install folder is another folder called "java". Rename this one to "java_dist". Download the Java 6 JRE and install it to the default location it suggests (probably somewhere in Program Files). The Arduino launcher should find that one instead and use it.

[Later]

Or, you know, just use the cloud: http://codebender.cc/

Rename \my documents\arduino to \my documents\arduinos

s for screwed up.

I'd start with the basics. Can you run the VM at all? Run javaw.exe directly from the command line using an absolute path, passing it the -verbose option. Does it run at all? Does java.exe run?

I have same issue.
Starting Arduino.exe results just in splash screen show and the disappear.
javaw.exe results in nothing.
java.exe result in list of java command line parameters list

I'm on win7 and IDE 1.6.3

I have the same problem with 1.6.3 that I reported a few days ago, so I don't think is a problem with any specific system. Win7 Pro x64, Asus i7 MB.

arduino_debug.exe complains about missing platform.txt in several folders; once I copy it there, the IDE starts,but dozens of errors and warnings appear in console windows; I think I did a mess by installing 1.6.3 version over an old version...

I uninstaled the IDE, deleted my whole Arduino folder, which I think contained old IDE installation, reinstalled IDE, and now it starts fine.
Don't know if it also WORKS fine, I'll test it tomorrow...

Ok, now IDE works fine... as "fine" can mean in such a crappy software. The Tools/Ports menu is still randomly/magically updated so it not always shows a connected board...
In the specific case of a cabled Yun you could need do detach/attach eth cable from yun to make it visible to IDE, and maybe to reset the Wifi, and maybe to reset the Atmega...

C:\Users\Firnas_Chung\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.6.6\boards.txt

There are no files will be.

Keep a paste here for you to download files