"No Device Found on COMx" via Programming Port - has this ever been solved?

Hi everyone,

I apologize preemptively because this might sound angry, rude, a bit like a rant. But for a reason! So please don't take it personally. I'm just a bit pissed right now.

I've been reading a lengthy thread in this forum (and a couple others) about this issue that started in 2013, five years ago. I've read the whole thread and there are multiple so called solutions that involve pressing buttons, soldering resistors, cutting lines, rebooting Windows, all sorts of tedious stuff that seems to only temporarily "solve" (i.e. work around) the problem.

Has it been solved/fixed, eventually, for good?

Why I'm asking... I've bought a Due recently, apparently R3, which has the exact same issue. On multiple PCs, all running Windows 10 with builds at 1709 or newer. Programming the Arduino DUE via Arduino IDE v1.8.5 via the programming port using the shipped USB cable only works after pressing the ERASE button. Before it only gives the error message "No Device Found on COMx" although it is detected correctly.

[edit] Programming it via the native port seems to be working at least from one of the two Windows 10 PCs I'm using. But I have to switch to the programming port afterwards for the communication between the 3D printer firmware and the UI. Unacceptable.[/edit]

I do not intend to try x different workarounds that all seem to work for some people but don't for others. Also I cannot press the ERASE button every time before I want to write a new program to the DUE, because I'm using it in a 3D printer and there's a RADDS shield blocking the button. I am not going to dismantle my printer every time!

All I want is a reliably working product. So the only solution that I would accept is one that fixes the actual problem, which must of course have been found by now, now that it has been a known issue for more than five years.

So, how can I fix the problem, and why does it still occur with a freshly purchased product?

Thank you!