How to extract int from string (RSSI value from WiFly shield)

I am reading the signal strength (RSSI) from my WiFly shield. I receive the RSSI in the following format:

RSSI=(-84) dBm

I want to store the "-84" number in an int variable and discard the other characters. I have tried to do this using switch case but it hasn't worked reliably.

SpiSerial.println("show rssi"); //requesting RSSI value
while(SpiSerial.available() > 0) {
char ch = SpiSerial.read(); //reads RSSI raw data

switch(ch){
case '0'...'9':
pos = pos * 10 + ch - '0';
break;

case '=(-':
chara = (pos); //stores unwanted chars
pos = 0;
break;

case ') dBm':
rssi_val = (pos); //writes just RSSI number into rssi_val
pos = 0;

// Serial.print(SpiSerial.read(), BYTE);
Serial.println();
Serial.print("RSSI value is");
Serial.println(rssi_val);
break;
}
}

Can anyone suggest a better method to grab just the number?

Look into 'sscanf'

I don't think that I have ever had the opportunity to have a smiley face case. You are mighty lucky...

The code looks pretty close to a working solution, except you can only use one value per case statement, so case '0'..'9' and case ') dBm' are not going to work. You'll have to use if statements instead.

e.g.

if ((ch >= '0') && (ch <= '9')) {
       pos = pos * 10 + ch - '0';
    }

The WiFly sends a carriage return and a newline character at the end of that message, so the string is actually this: "RSSI=(-84) dBm\r\n". So you can watch for the '\n' character to know when the full line has been received.

The code looks pretty close to a working solution, except you can only use one value per case statement, so case '0'..'9' and case ') dBm' are not going to work.

The '0'..'9' thing is an Arduino extension. It will work. The others do look unworkable, since there is not a range defined. Syntax-wise the code is correct, but the serial port will never contain a multibyte character value, so the case will never occur.