avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

Hello all,

I recently upgraded to IDE 1.8.7. I use mostly Arducam Nanos with the legal FTDI232 chips in all of my projects for the last two years. When I tried to download a sketch, I got the same error messages that everyone has been talking about. I investigated the problem by checking for up to date drivers, changing cables, trying downloading on several other PC platforms. What I finally found was that downloading worked fine on Mega2560 and other UNO boards. The only one that didn't work was my Nanos! I remedied the problem by re-installing IDE 1.8.5. Works fine. So I reloaded IDE1.8.7 back on another platform and noticed the old bootloader selection that wasn't in the 1.8.5 list. As suggested by someone in an earlier post, it worked. Something has changed in the new IDE load that has caused a problem. This has go to be why the Old Bootloader is now a selection. How about letting the rest of us know about it. It certainly would save some sleepless nights and panic attacks trying to re-establish communication with my Nano boards.

Reg Mason