Does Arduino have a future?

To discuss the future of Arduino there should be more transparency about project in development: TRE and Zero.

• What problems remain?
  • Date of delivery
  • Selling price
  • Progress in library. Remaining bugs.

I have some other remarks :

In the future a FPGA might be build into a microcontroller, to have the best of both worlds.

One built a microcontroler inside an FPGA and not the contrary. It soon exist: Xilink and Altera propose this.

[Quote from: dannable on July 14, 2014, 08:47:36 am]
I think if it is to have a future then the infamous Uno 'avrdude: stk500_recv(): ' errors need to be addressed.

I have never seen this problem myself with a genuine Arduino board & drivers.

You perhaps, but I yes. I buy an genuine UNO R2 in an official reseller and it was buggy : Win 7 and Linux don't recognize it.
At the date of purchase the bug was solved since four months but bugged cards has been sold without correction.

I am convinced that there are three markets:

• Simple applications where avr 8 bits is sufficient
  • Most powerful applications where ARM is necessary
  • This of some beginners who do not know how to use a microcontroller but absolutely want the most powerful and newest model.
    For this market you need one card but no more, it is useless.

The market targeted by the TRE is absolutely not this of beginners.
I find that in this headlong rush, Arduino abandons its core market to a semi-professional market.
In this semi-professional market it will face the MBED project (NXP, Freescale, ST, and so on.) .
For your information signe on MED , you will discover a true professional environment with a free personal git.
They come from the professional market and they can crush Arduino.
To survive Arduino must not leave the market for beginners and avr.

Three members of forum fit respectively Eclipse, Code Blocks and Xcode to arduino libraries .
Whoever adapted Xcode leaves Arduino to Energia, tired that arduino team does not answer his questions.
So Mac user who want use Xcode will switch to Energia.

Why there has no support from the team ?
The work was done, they had only to formalize and integrate the authors in the team.
May be they do not want anyone in the team to be able to control everything ?