Trouble Burning Bootloader onto Pro Mini 5V 16MHz

pert:
There is a delay in the bootloader on startup where it's waiting for an upload. If you want a shorter delay then you can install the more modern Optiboot bootloader instead of the outdated and buggy bootloader used on the Pro Mini:

• Tools > Board > Arduino/Genuino Uno
  • Tools > Burn Bootloader

After that you have to remember to always select Tools > Board > Arduino/Genuino Uno when you use your Pro Mini. You can't select Tools > Board > Arduino Pro Mini any more after that because of the different bootloader.

If you don't want any delay at all then you need to remove the bootloader by doing a Sketch > Upload Using Programmer. Remember that without the bootloader you can't upload over your FTDI breakout anymore and so you will always need to Upload Using Programmer.

Thanks again, Pert! Both of the methods you have suggested result in the Pro Mini booting up and starting the code quickly. The project runs perfectly fine but only when it is powered by USB. When I power it by battery or my car's turn signal wire, it seems that the Pro Mini does not allow enough current to illuminate the strip and instead freezes the code halfway through. When I change the code to use only a few LEDs for the turn signal (any amount of LEDs under 6), it runs OK. I looked at the specs on the Pro Mini and found that it allows far more current when it is powered by USB than when it is powered externally. My next question is: is there some way I can trick the Pro Mini into thinking it's being powered by the USB? I tried Googling with no luck so I guess I will make another post elsewhere so that this thread stays relevant to the OP.

macguyverwho:
Heise makes 12v ws2811s now and a controller with user programmable patterns via SD card.

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried Googling that but could only find the LED strip (not the controller). Do you have a link for the LED strip/controller combo? That strip only has 67 LEDs/meter relative to the 144 on mine, but I'll still keep that idea as a backup plan if I can't get my project to work using a Pro Mini. My project does work flawlessly with an Uno but I want it to be cheaper/smaller.