SD card works with Wavgat UNO but not with original Arduino

I've been using an SD card module with the Wavgat UNO clone and other Nano clones. Yesterday I tried to use the same sketch with an Elegoo UNO R3 and I couldn't make it work. I've just tried with an original Mega and it works neither.

The wiring is correct and the SD module and code the same as in the other boards I mentioned.
After notice the problem I've tried with the library examples getting the same result.
SD initializes but the files are corrupted and the card gets full of broken files with strange names.

Any idea? Can it be a library problem?

The wavgat causes all sorts of issues as it is not 100% Arduino compatible.

If you are using a lib supplied by wavgat there is a small chance it will only work on the wavgat.
A little more info and a link to where you got the lib would be useful.

Bob.

ballscrewbob:
The wavgat causes all sorts of issues as it is not 100% Arduino compatible.

If you are using a lib supplied by wavgat there is a small chance it will only work on the wavgat.
A little more info and a link to where you got the lib would be useful.

Bob.

Thanks for your help Bob.

I'm using the Arduino IDE as it is, without modify anything. The libraries are the official SD and SPI.
I'm getting crazy, the card initializes, then creates a trash file and as a result, it canĀ“t access to the file.

Using the CardInfo I get this, everything seems right.

18:09:56.591 -> Initializing SD card...Wiring is correct and a card is present.
18:09:56.728 -> 
18:09:56.728 -> Card type:         SD1
18:09:56.728 -> Clusters:          60268
18:09:56.762 -> Blocks x Cluster:  2
18:09:56.795 -> Total Blocks:      120536
18:09:56.830 -> 
18:09:56.830 -> Volume type is:    FAT16
18:09:56.864 -> Volume size (Kb):  60268
18:09:56.864 -> Volume size (Mb):  58
18:09:56.898 -> Volume size (Gb):  0.06
18:09:56.933 -> 
18:09:56.933 -> Files found on the card (name, date and size in bytes): 
18:09:57.001 -> SYSTEM~1/     2019-04-19 17:55:50
18:09:57.035 ->   WPSETT~1.DAT  2019-04-19 17:55:52 12
18:09:57.069 ->   INDEXE~1      2019-04-19 17:55:56 76

Start Here

Use only the UNO or MEGA to begin with and not the wavgat.

What is the SD hardware you are using as that could also play a part. Working link please.

Bob.

ballscrewbob:
Start Here

Use only the UNO or MEGA to begin with and not the wavgat.

What is the SD hardware you are using as that could also play a part. Working link please.

Bob.

This is my SD module

I'm using only UNO for this tests. The CardInfo example makes the previous posted log, but when I use the Read Write example it initializes but fail to create the test.txt file.

I'm wondering if that could be a matter of voltages, but I suppose the wavgat work with the same voltage levels.

Voltages play a crucial part with SD cards.
Ensure you have them correct before going much further.
IIRC there was a post a month or so about just that aspect.

Do a forum search for wavgat and you will see quite a few issues with just that single brand of board.

I would suggest that if you find a suitable project to deploy it full time then do so then you don't have to worry about that brand.

Bob.

What makes me angry is the fact that wavgat UNO is working but not the original board, with a clean IDE installation.
The question is, that I have an SD module that initializes but only write corrupt files. I've tried changing libraries getting the same results.
The module supports 5V so I don't need a level shifter.

I'm stucked, can't find a solution. Searching in the forum usually helps, but I didn't found a solution or a similar problem.

I'll continuing trying to make it work. Any help would be grateful.

Thanks again Bob.

Well I think it's solved... I made it work by adding voltage dividers in order to achieve a 3.3 logic level.

Now I think we should try to understand why this kind of modules work without problem with chinese clones and not with the original boards. From what I know, both families of mcu's work with 5V digital logic, so a voltage shifter would be needed to use any of them.

Anyone can throw me some light?

There is a good chance the tolerances of components on the wavgat board are too wide and whilst that was a good thing for the SD card could be a bad thing for other devices.

It is not unusual to see corners being cut to keep clone prices down.
Usually it can be seen in poor soldering or components not quite in the exact spaces they should be resulting in them not making contact.

The wavgat MCU is a poor clone of the ATMEL MCU it has distinct differences to the true chip.
And as already mentioned there have been quite a few issues for users of those boards.

Thanks for putting your solution up as these things can often help other users stuck with some of the non compliant boards.

Bob.