How to differentiate real and fake China IC

Is there a way to differentiate real IC (OEM manufacture from ST, SGS, TI, Motorola) versus fake China which mark exactly like the OEM ?

If send to decapping, the price is USD200 per IC but they just compare the real which need to provide to them versus the suspect. We dont even know which is real ?

If there was a generic way to identify any IC that is fake, you would think people would not make fakes.

I think if you buy a chip from a reputable distributor (Digikey, Mouser, Arrow, RS, etc.) then you can have good confidence that's a genuine chip to use as your reference. Even better would be to get it directly from the manufacturer. It is possible to get samples, though that might depend on the company and how promising you can make yourself appear as a customer. I know Microchip/Atmel has an online store where you can buy chips for a reasonable price.

You should be able to identify a counterfeit with a different design by decapping but I've also heard concerns that the IC manufacturing plants run extra unauthorized runs of chips that will use the official design but minimal quality control. Those wouldn't be detectable by decapping.

I think it would be interesting if someone investigated the ATmega328P chips on the dirt cheap Chinese boards. I've seen other chips investigated projects but not ATmega328P, other than the completely bogus non-working ones Sparkfun bought, which I think is an outlier.

Price might be an indicator -- as in too good to be true. ;D

hamisu-anguan:
Is there a way to differentiate real IC (OEM manufacture from ST, SGS, TI, Motorola) versus fake China which mark exactly like the OEM ?

If send to decapping, the price is USD200 per IC but they just compare the real which need to provide to them versus the suspect. We dont even know which is real ?

Be aware many chips are ENCAPSULATED in China, but the die was made in America.

Paul

Just like fake boobs. If they work, they're real enough for me.

INTP:

Cannot argue about that.

INTP:

larryd:
Cannot argue about that.

ehm, not if you're a newborn baby !!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Some how I knew BabyGeezer would know.

larryd:
Some how I knew BabyGeezer would know.

I can't unread that post.

Breast implants do not inhibit breastfeeding. So . . . . the more you know

if Grannie's headlights still point at the sky, instead of the floor, they have. most likely had some alteration. But that doesn't really make them 'fake', if they still work. so, yeah, that works for me too (Gran Pa).

I agree that if the Chinese clones work, then they will meet the need at a lower price (for HOBBY work). but, if they don't you are out your money, and left without a functioning circuit. Bummer......

Oh well, you pays your money and takes your chances,,, or, you buy from the trusted sources.