I can't get sevo to work right

x is just a do nothing for loop.......if the servo is at 0, the motor should turn over and over again....but it turns then stops after a while.....i already know how to control a stardard sevo......i can run the code just to turn the servo at 0 position , but if i use the 180 position it should reverse and if i use 90 it should stop....but none of this works....in PBASIC for the basic stamp a simple PULSOUT 9,0 does the trick....maybe the arduino can't do it

Zoomcat your code rotated the servo for a while then stopped...just like my code

guess i'll have to dust off my old basic stamp2 and use it for a robot...don't think the arduino can handle continous rotation on a servo...or just use a DC motor with a h-bridge with the arduino board

@KE7GKP...it works with a basic stamp....i want it to run continous until i tell it to stop or backup if a object is detected with infrared detector.....the servo is fine, it works....its just the arduino can't do a pulsout command like the stamp can

look ..all i want to do is, run the servo forward continous...if object is detected, then stop, then back up and turn and run again
its simple to do in PBASIC...but I can't do it in C...it shouldn't be that hard

oldPGMguy:
@KE7GKP...it works with a basic stamp....i want it to run continous until i tell it to stop or backup if a object is detected with infrared detector.....the servo is fine, it works....its just the arduino can't do a pulsout command like the stamp can

If a basic stamp can make the servo do what you wish, then a arduino most certainly can. Your problem is that you have not yet figured out how to translate a basic program (used in your stamp) to a valid c/c++ language (used by the arduino). So bottom line it can, but you can't (as of yet). Possibly if you can post the basic stamp program here we/someone can help you with the conversion required.

Lefty

thanks lefty..hers what i want to do....maybe i am saying it wrong...ok here is a PBASIC program

'BS2 Robot Demo
'By oldELECTROguy
'Shows How To Use BS2 For Robotic Use
'Cyles Servos and Bumper Switches

'----------------------------- Constants --------------------------------------------

dirs=%11111111     ' Make all I/O Pins Output
Mstop     Con 150   ' Brake Servo
MfFor     Con 200   ' Run Servo Foward Fast
MsFor     Con 160   ' Run Servo Forward Slow
MfRev     Con 80    ' Run Servo Reverse Fast
MsRev     Con 140   ' Run Servo Reverse Slow
VOn       Con 2     ' Enable Talk (For Talk Chip - ISD1110P
VOff      Con 3     ' Disable Talk
SDelay    Con 15    ' 10 millisecond delay for Servo

'------------------------------Variables----------------------------------------------

RBump   Var Bit    'Sensor 1=OK 0=Touched Something
LBump   Var Bit    'Bit = 0 to 1
X       Var Byte   'X = 0 to 255
Y       Var Nib    'Y = 0 to 15
Z       Var Word   'Z = 0 to 65535

'-------------------------------MAIN LOOP---------------------------------------------

again:
 gosub forward
 gosub Fslow
 gosub Back
 gosub BackS
 gosub Brake
 gosub Soundme
goto again

'------------------------------SUB ROUTINES-------------------------------------------
forward:
 debug "Forward",cr
 for x=1 to 200
 pulsout 0,mffor
 pulsout 1,mffor
 pause sdelay
 next
return

Fslow:
 debug "Forward Slow",cr
 for x=1 to 200
 pulsout 0,msfor
 pulsout 1,msfor
 pause sdelay
 next
return

Back:
 debug "Reverse",cr
 for x=1 to 200
 pulsout 0,mfrev
 pulsout 1,mfrev
 pause sdelay
 next
return

BackS:
 debug "Reverse Slow",cr
 for x=1 to 200
 pulsout 0,msrev
 pulsout 1,msrev
 pause sdelay
 next
return

Brake:
 debug "Brake",cr
 for z=1 to 1000
 pulsout 0,mStop
 pulsout 1,mStop
 pause sdelay
 next
return

SOUNDME:
 debug "Danger Will Robinson",cr
 freqout 7,1500,1000,1200
 pause 5
 freqout 7,1000,1200,1800
 pause 5
return

@KE7GKP the servo works, i just tested it with a basic stamp...it runs forward, stops when i tell it, and reverses when i tell it

@KE7GKP....it works both the analog and digital ports....i used all the code i could find...it just doesn't work right...just give me one piece of code that can rotate the servo for atleast 10 seconds and stop then start again

don't think the arduino can handle continous rotation on a servo.

Sure it does. You just need to understand how they work. I have two continous rotation servos and my code controls them without issue. Often people have issues with their servos due to inadequate power supplies. How is your servo powered? Below is a recomended setup using an external power supply.

Ok here are the key things to utilise from your basic program to arudino code:

Stamp uses:
SDelay Con 15 ' 10 millisecond delay for Servo
Mstop Con 150 ' Brake Servo
MfFor Con 200 ' Run Servo Foward Fast
MsFor Con 160 ' Run Servo Forward Slow
MfRev Con 80 ' Run Servo Reverse Fast
MsRev Con 140 ' Run Servo Reverse Slow

Arduino would use:

#define Mstop 1500 // Brake Servo
#define MfFor 2000 // Run Servo Foward Fast
#define MsFor 1600 // Run Servo Forward Slow
#define MfRev 800 // Run Servo Reverse Fast
#define MsRev 1400 // Run Servo Reverse Slow
#define SDelay 2000 // 2 second delay for Servo

And where your stamp program uses:

forward:
debug "Forward",cr
for x=1 to 200
pulsout 0,mffor
pulsout 1,mffor
pause sdelay
next
return

// and

Brake:
debug "Brake",cr
for z=1 to 1000
pulsout 0,mStop
pulsout 1,mStop
pause sdelay
next
return

your arduino code would use:

void forward(void)
{
Serial.println("Forward");
myservo.writeMicroseconds(MfFor);
delay(SDelay); // delay for 2 secs
}

// and

void Brake(void)
{
Serial.println("Break");
myservo.writeMicroseconds(Mstop);
delay(SDelay * 5); //delay for 10 sec
}

Certainly not a complete sketch, and probably not the best use of the C syntex, but it's more to show a simple conversion from basic to C equivelent. It shows the critical servo statment and constant values to duplicate what your basic stamp program uses. Hope that's enough to get you headed in the right direction. Now after having to read a basic program I feel kind of dirty and need to go take a shower. :smiley:

Lefty

thanks RETROLEFTY

here is the code i came up with as a test it works.......

#include <Servo.h> 

Servo myservo;
int pos;
int x;

void forward(){
pos = 2000;  // use 1000 or 2000 for forward or backward
  myservo.writeMicroseconds(pos);  // servo forward
delay(15);
}

void reverse(){
pos = 1000;  // use 1000 or 2000 for forward or backward
delay(15);
}

void servoStop(){
pos = 1500;  // use 1000 or 2000 for forward or backward
delay(15);
}

void setup() 
{ 
   myservo.attach(9);

} 

void loop() {
 for(x=0; x<1000; x++){
  forward(); }

for(x=0; x<1000; x++){
  servoStop(); }

for(x=0; x<1000; x++){
  reverse(); }
  }

here is the code i came up with as a test it works.......

Great, you got the idea. The arduino servo library code is automatically handling (and hiding from you) a lot of the stuff that the stamp code had to deal with.

See we can help you 'unlearn' all that nasty BASIC stuff and help you on the journey to learning a real programming language. :wink:

Lefty

Hey..i want to learn C....RetroLefty.....thanks to all...for the help

The servo library has two functions to send data to a servo - write() and writeMicroseconds(). Continuous rotation "servos" are generally commanded using writeMicroseconds().

The values for writeMicroseconds() generally range from about 500 to about 2500. The lowest value causes fastest speed in one direction. As the values get larger, the speed gets smaller. At some point, around 1500, the "servo" stops altogether. As the values continue to increase, the direction changes, and the servo moves slowly in the other direction, increasing speed up to the upper limit.

Try a loop that calls Servo::writeMicroseconds() with values from 500 to 2500, in steps of 100, with a 1 second delay between calls.

ok here's what i came up with......it works great

// Continous Rotation Servo Test
// By Herman O Darr (OldElectroGuy)
// June 12 2011
// Revised June 25 2011
// Use Numbers between 0 to 180...90 is usually stop
// Adjust for your servo's using the pot adjust,if installed
// this is for continous rotating servo's...not standard
// servo's from 0 to 180 degree's rotation only

//----------------------- Include's -------------------------

#include <Servo.h>

//------------------------ Variables ------------------------- 

Servo servo;             // Define servo

//-------------------------- Setup ----------------------------
void setup() { 
    servo.attach(9);     // Set servo to digital pin 9
} 
//----------------------- Main Loop ------------------------

void loop() {            // Loop through motion tests
  forward();            
  stopRobot();
  reverseslow();
  stopRobot();
  forwardslow();
  stopRobot();
  reverse();
  stopRobot();
}
//------------------------ Sub Voids ------------------------

// Motion routines for forward, reverse, slow, and stop
void forward() {
   servo.write(0);delay(6000);   }

void reverse() {
  servo.write(180);delay(6000);    }

void stopRobot() { 
   servo.write(90);delay(5000);    }

void forwardslow() {
   servo.write(88);delay(6000);   }

void reverseslow() {
   servo.write(92);delay(6000);   }

@PaulS....yeah i did that with 1000 being forward and 2000 being reverse and 1500 being stop......if you have servo's with an adjustable pot you can set the stop with what ever number yo use....thanks for the info code

It also depends on ho the Constant Rotation servos are wired.. Even though I saw a plan for converting standard servos to C-R type, using 2x 2.2K resistors wired in series, across the old POT pins, with the center bridge to the wiper solder point, I never liked the idea of sloppy tolerance on the resistors. (and, isn't 2.2K a bit low? I thought the POTs were closer to 10K end to end?)

I've done this with modified HiTec & Futaba servos, grinding down the stop tab, and replacing the POT with a mini PC mount 10K, accessible through a side hole... Even replaced the two C-R servos on an old BOE-Bot that the motors had begun screaming.

The servo code works with the VEX Motor modules (essentially Futababa servos with the post ground down, and a square key in the center, but with a custom chip for the driver).

Unlike the VEX controller code to motors, there is no constant pulse going to the signal pins, just for the brief moment you digitalwrite to the pin, or servowrite to the pin.. Once you finish that instruction, the servo would stop anyways, because you are no-longer sending the pulses to it. just a dead GND signal. Same goes with the Basic Stamp, once you write the pulsout, there is no constant signal.. the delay, just gives the code time to stop, while the servo performs the movement, then waits for the next pulse. (with the VEX, if you wrote out to the motors, the 2nd PIC inside would maintain the pulses, until you told it to stop, which lead to a lot of run-away problems if the code crashed.)

gelfling6:
Unlike the VEX controller code to motors, there is no constant pulse going to the signal pins, just for the brief moment you digitalwrite to the pin, or servowrite to the pin.. Once you finish that instruction, the servo would stop anyways, because you are no-longer sending the pulses to it. just a dead GND signal. Same goes with the Basic Stamp, once you write the pulsout, there is no constant signal.. the delay, just gives the code time to stop, while the servo performs the movement, then waits for the next pulse. (with the VEX, if you wrote out to the motors, the 2nd PIC inside would maintain the pulses, until you told it to stop, which lead to a lot of run-away problems if the code crashed.)

The Arduino Servo library is constantly sending pulses to the servos (every 20ms) without requiring any attention from the sketch.
You only need to write a new values when you want to change the angle, or as in this application, speed.