General notice to anyone considering building input/output shields

Just as a general comment, this seems to be a trend with multiple shields and modules I get for arduino so I thought I would try to start making public comments on it anywhere someone might be listening....

If you are making an input or an output module or shield such as a display, an LED or other indicator, a push button, joystick, touchpad, number panel, etc. then put the pin connector on the BACK of it, not the side that would be facing the user. You essentially render your shield un-usable for anything other than raw prototyping when you put the pins on the same side that would be mounted to the front panel of a project box or other application as there is now no way to mount the device without the pins and connectors getting in the way.

I've seen this so often on buttons and displays that it's starting to get annoying. I try to remove the header pins but the way they are all connected together and generally solder to both sides of the PCB makes it difficult. By the time you heat the pin enough to soften the solder all the way through, you ultimately destroy the header because you melt the plastic spacer and/or misalign the pins, and often times it results in the copper pulling off the pc board around the pin as you try to remove it so you can re-mount it behind the board.
Even the ones that stick out sideways, while better, can still get in the way. If you are really worried about being able to lay the device flat on a workbench, just use a 'L' shaped right angle header that juts out the edge of the shield soldered to the back. These can be panel mounted without a fuss and still work well in a prototyping scenario.

Just my $0.02

(deleted)

Can you give an example of one of the bad designs with pictures indicating which headers are bad?