Arduino in OS X 10.9 Mavericks - Serial Port Issues

Worked for me, thanks!

I actually didn't disable the default drivers, nor restart; I just reinstalled the FTDI drivers from ftdichip.com, restarted the Arduino IDE, and was in business.

I had been having issues with an Arduino LilyPad 328, and with an Arduino Pro Mini 3.3v + FTDI breakout. I'd get a processing.app.SerialException, or errors like "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x18", and the tx/rx lights on the FTDI breakout wouldn't blink.

jlefevre1:
Having the same problem. This solution did not work on 2 different Macs. At this point we must consider that Mac Mavericks will be unusable on Arduino. The Arduino home page should list there products as no long compatible with Macintosh until this is fixed. Such a shame. I was really getting into using Arduino products but will have to quit until this is resolved.

What a pile of cr@p. I use 4 different arduino models with my Mavericks (and now, Yosemite) equipped Macs and they all worked flawlessly.

At this point we must consider that jlefevre1 isn't really that good with computers and should consult a small child to do things for him.

Such a shame.

casselli:
this worked for me thank you, having a hell of a time getting arduino and processing to work together problem seems to be in the line that assigns the connection to be my arduino usb connection. Using old tutorials from o'rielly, bought the arduino/processing tutorials but can't get the arduino and processing sketches to talk to each other. Dropped the baud rate to match the arduino, 9600, loaded the firmata to my board(using a duemilinova board.... Really want to introduce students to processing and then connect to the arduino environment but the frustration I have been experiencing makes it difficult to put together a lesson plan and workflow criteria-too many problems and don't want to be dealing with them in class any suggestions?

Me too.

There is a mismatch in the TxRx libraries between Processing and Arduino.

I ended up going back to "stable" releases (1.0.6 Arduino, whatever on Processing) then pulling the serial components from inside Arduino and sticking them in Processing and voila! All my problems disappeared.

right click > show package contents on arduino then Contents > resources > java > rxtxcomm.jar and librxtxSerial.jnilib, copy those files into Processing > contents > resources > java > modes > java > libraries > serial then paste the rxtxcomm.jar in to that folder and then the librxtxSerial.jnilib into the macosx folder.

If that doesn't work, drop me a line.

Thanks! I had the same "programmer not responding" error with my OSEPP Uno R3 Plus board. This fixed it and my Uno is now blinking merrily away.

I could not get more than 4 USB ports to show. After changing USB cable to other slot it started working on my 10.9 iMac 27"

I had, however, installed numerous driver prior to this trying to figure what was wrong, so I don't know if it was the cable move or one of the driver combined with the cable move ...

Saku

OP's solution worked for me (Macbook Pro, Mavericks 10.9.5). I had used the IDE 1.0.5 to test with my Sainsmart Nano 3.0. The first one or two downloads worked fine, the the timeout (cannot connect to programmer). Luckily I was at a Maker meetup and pointed this way regarding the FTDI drivers.

Move the Apple kext to the side and installed FTDI VCP drivers and the 1.5.8 IDE. Blink sketch working fine, looking forward to getting my projects going!

Thanks again for the writeup, worked like a charm!

Bad cable!

Went through the entire feed and tried all suggestions. in a last stitch effort i tried a different cable ... & success!!

Thanks, Adams. It works for me as well. I'm using OS 10.9.3. Before I applied your fix, I tried to install the FTDI driver but no luck. Then I followed your fix and a restart then the Blink example works. Thanks a lot.

Thanks, Adams. It works for me as well. I'm using OS 10.9.3. Before I applied your fix, I tried to install the FTDI driver but no luck. Then I followed your fix and a restart then the Blink example works. Thanks a lot.

Has anyone out there come across a different solution? This does not seem to be working for me. I can get the 1.5.8 IDE to communicate with my Uno, Mega, and Due, but I just purchased 3 Nanos and I can't get any of them running or my lilypad. I have switched out the USB cable a few times and tried both the mv of the Apple Driver as well as trying to use the Prolific Driver. I still am getting no recognition of a usb serial port. If I run ls /dev/tty.* with my Uno attached it reads usbmodem1411 or usbmodem1a121 depending on which USB I use, but with the nano or lilypad attached there is no response. I am using OS 10.9.5 and IDE 1.5.8 with FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext.

ebwinclil:
Has anyone out there come across a different solution? This does not seem to be working for me. I can get the 1.5.8 IDE to communicate with my Uno, Mega, and Due, but I just purchased 3 Nanos and I can't get any of them running or my lilypad. I have switched out the USB cable a few times and tried both the mv of the Apple Driver as well as trying to use the Prolific Driver. I still am getting no recognition of a usb serial port. If I run ls /dev/tty.* with my Uno attached it reads usbmodem1411 or usbmodem1a121 depending on which USB I use, but with the nano or lilypad attached there is no response. I am using OS 10.9.5 and IDE 1.5.8 with FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext.

Never mind, I contacted the seller and found out that I was dealing with a chinese knock off.

For any others who haven't been able to solve this one yet: if, like me, you decided to go with the cheaper chinese kick off arduino clone boards and had problems similar to this one, please check the following forum post, as it solved the problem for me:

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=289518.0

And another blog site that explains the whole process really simply for noobs like me:

http://kiguino.moos.io/2014/12/31/how-to-use-arduino-nano-mini-pro-with-CH340G-on-mac-osx-yosemite.html

Actually the dude has even mirrored the relevant driver that solves the problem without having to find it on an all chinese or all russian website!

filoifaga:
For any others who haven't been able to solve this one yet: if, like me, you decided to go with the cheaper chinese kick off arduino clone boards and had problems similar to this one, please check the following forum post, as it solved the problem for me:

I bought a UNO R3 ATmega328P CH340G USB Driver Development Board - IDE 1.x - Arduino Forum

And another blog site that explains the whole process really simply for noobs like me:

http://kiguino.moos.io/2014/12/31/how-to-use-arduino-nano-mini-pro-with-CH340G-on-mac-osx-yosemite.html

Actually the dude has even mirrored the relevant driver that solves the problem without having to find it on an all chinese or all russian website!

Yes, I have been struggling for a month or so, and finally realised (after reading Arduino in OS X 10.9 Mavericks - Serial Port Issues - IDE 1.x - Arduino Forum) that other chips were being used, in lieu of the FTDI chip, for example the Prolific 2305. After inspecting the board with a magnifying glass, I saw that I did not have an FTDI chip in my Chinese clones of an Uno and a Mega, but a CH340G instead.

Once I realised that I found the USB转串口芯片 CH340 - 南京沁恒微电子股份有限公司 site, but the Mac driver doesn't appear to be there. After a bit more googling I found the kiguino site. I downloaded the mirrored driver, rebooted the mac, and when I connected the Uno, my MacBook died and restarted with the grey serious error screen and refused to boot. After disconnecting the Uno, the Mac rebooted as normal, so no lasting damage done, but I am a bit wary of trying to plug the clone in again.

Anyway, note that the chip says CH340 on it, but the drivers are CH341. I assume that they are compatible.

I tried to use those commands in Terminal I get a message that says :

mv: rename AppleUSBFTDI.kext to AppleUSBFTDI.disabled/AppleUSBFTDI.kext: No such file or directory

I'm really new to this, and have no idea what to do next, any suggestions?

Did you try copying and pasting the code from the first post into the terminal?

Also, try a different USB cable just to make sure it's not your cable.

worked for me but had to restart after installing the original driver.

Worked for me. Fixed the issue I was having with a SparkFun RedBoard.

tried doing the same as stated above but it didnt get my arduino uno to work

spage:
This procedure fixed my problem on Mac OS X 10.9.1 with Arduino 1.0.5 and an OSEPP Uno R3 Plus

I was brand new to Arduino and was of course very disappointed when I could not get the simple Blink sketch to load.

I searched for quite a while before coming across this post and even then it was with the aid of a colleague

Since this is going to be a problem for anyone with a recent Mac OS it would have been nicer if there was a more prominent way of alerting Mac users.

Are Apple aware of the driver issue? Is it an actual problem with the Apple driver or a problem with the way Arduino 1.0.5 is trying to access the driver? I don't really like regressing the driver so it would be nice to know that someone, somewhere is working on a permanent fix for this... Do we need to post somewhere else to get Arduino development to take a closer look?

This is the sort of problem that one associates with Windows rather than the Mac!

I had the same problem as you and got very mad. Have you tried a new usb cable. It fixed the problem for me it might for you too.

I had the same issue, and the solution was to unplug all USB devices except Arduino, and ensure that RX/TX pins of Arduino are not connected to anything.