The Mega 2560, Adafruit Motor Shield and Adafruit CC3000 breakout board

Good morning all,

Forgive me if I have posted in the wrong place.

I have a project in mind... (well Ive gone to the point of purchasing all of the equipment required) I am going to build a small roving robot, the plan being that the user will access a website located on a raspberry pi. This website will be the gui for controlling the robot. The robot is based on the Mega 2560 R3 and has an Adafruit Motor Shield (V2.3) and I want to also connect a CC3000 wifi breakout board.... for connecting to the raspi's website. I was going to connect the cc3000 to the mega and motor shield like shown in attached image. If Ive read some posts elsewhere correctly, there could be some potential conflicts with the motor shield... as they both use pin 10? Could anyone shed some light on this and possibly indicate how I could connect them all together without conflicts?

Second question.... sorry....

I have a surplus of 3 cell lipos with a nominal voltage of 11.1V however, when they are fully charged they have a voltage of 12.6V and when depleted they can drop to 9V. My question is, can I use these to power the arduino as is (I believe the max supply voltage is supposed to be 12V?) or would I be better off stepping the voltage down to a safer value? My motors are 6V rated so I would have to step down for them anyway.

I would appreciate your thoughts and advice.

ROVguy1974

If Ive read some posts elsewhere correctly, there could be some potential conflicts with the motor shield... as they both use pin 10?

Pin 10 needs to be an output pin in order for SPI to work, with the Arduino as master. It doesn't really matter what pin 10 is doing, as long as it is output.

My question is, can I use these to power the arduino as is (I believe the max supply voltage is supposed to be 12V?)

The max is higher than 12. Excess voltage is dumped as heat, so the regulator might get a bit warm. You will need to determine if that is too warm.