Cannot upload to UNO board

Arduino: 1.8.4 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"
Archiving built core (caching) in: C:\Users\BJD~1.USE\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_14535\core
\core_arduino_avr_uno_0c812875ac70eb4a9b385d8fb077f54c.a
Sketch uses 928 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf
-v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM3 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\BJD~1.USE\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_445608/Blink.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:00:53

• Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/*
    An error occurred while uploading the sketch
    ** Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch**
    ** System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"**
    ** Using Port : COM3**
    ** Using Programmer : arduino**
    ** Overriding Baud Rate : 115200**
    avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM3": The system cannot find the file specified.
    avrdude done. Thank you.

When I look at the hardware listing, I see COM3 is the Arduino board, no matter which physical USB port I plug it into. There are 3

on my laptop, and I have tried them all. Every one still shows up in the hardware listing as COM3. And every time I change the

settings in the "preferences" file, the upload fails, but shows the various COM ports I have used (ie: 3 or 4 or 5), with the same

error msg,

"avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COMx": The system cannot find the file specified.", x being the USB port I had set up

in "preferences".

If I leave all to just default, it always goes back to COM3, and the above error always occurs.

There is no issue with the cable or board, because I have tried them on 2 other systems and they work on them no issue (although on

both, they are on COM4, but that seems irrelevant).
The USB ports I try on the laptop are working, since I move my mouse thru all of them and have no issues.

So, far as I can see, there are no issues with a) the cable, b) the board, c) the USB ports.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Is this a new board ?
You may have corrupted the boot loader , I would re load that ( Google ). If the bootloader is not there of corrupted the USB won't work .

If it's a new Chinese clone it may need the ch340 driver installing ( Google ).

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it's a new board. I don't think the board is a problem, since I have successfully used it on the other computer after the issue I mentioned above. At least, that's what I'm assuming - since it is OK on the other system, it shouldn't be the issue.

I will look into the ch340 driver.

USB 3.0 ports can also be an issue.
Try to stick with USB 2.0 and if you cannot then inserting a POWERED USB 2.0 hub between the port and the board often helps.

I can't tell if the ports are 2.0 or 3.0, the Device Manager doesn't show that (unless I'm missing something, quite possible...). Given that the 2 other systems the board works on are older, I guess they would have 2.0, and the laptop is newer, so probably has USB 3.0.
Since my mouse works on all ports, hard to tell which is which.

You need to look up the basic specs for your computer/laptop.
They will tell what is what.
Clearly my crystal ball is not so good as to know what you have LOL..

Actually device manager does show you/
You just need to understand some more tech stuff and look at the section called Universal serial Bus.
Sometimes they are also colour coded BLUE when you look closely rather than black or white
But the specs are easier.

Yeah, started looking for the specs, they are a little foggy as well.
Well, guess you need a new crystal ball... :grin: :grin: :grin: J/K

Here's what the device manager shows, they all appear to be 3.0, and are all colored the same.

Capture.JPG

You certainly should try a powered USB 2.0 hub (preferable somewhat decent quality).

They dont pay us much for hanging around in here so will have to make do with the wonky ball :wink:

Well, I give up.

There is something about this PC (hardware or OS, no idea which...) that will not let the UNO communicate with it. I finally located the USB 2.0 port, and plugged into it. IDE and device manager both show it on COM3. No cigar. Cannot upload.

So, change the preferences file to COM4 (grasping at straws...), plug it in. IDE shows COM3. Cannot upload.

Change the preference file to COM5, plug it in. IDE shows COM3. No upload.
Etc, etc, ad infinitum.

So, guess I can't use this PC with UNO.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

PS - @ballscrewbob - hope someday you get enough to buy a new ball. I hear they are much faster and 18% more accurate. :wink:

Forcing a com port change under windows OS will give you issues in itself unless you know the hardware and understand a few things.

If that's what you have done then you must reset the COM port list in windows.

There are a couple more methods but that is the most reliable one and always works here (14 plus arduinos on a test bed so its something I have to do on occasion)

I would then reset the IDE (remove and re-install)
For that I made up these instructions (attached). They have proved useful to others.

Before installing ensure you have the ability to install as a full "administrator" not just a user with admin rights.

Also ensure your computer is totally clean from any nasties as they to have caused some issues in the past.
Turning off your security just before an install has also been known to help.

CLEAN UP BEFORE INSTALLING ANOTHER COPY OF THE IDE OR ARDUINO CREATE.pdf (345 KB)

Thanks, BSB. Did all the steps you mention, re-installed the .exe as admin, tried again. This time, however, I went directly to the known USB2.0 port (although it still comes up as COM3...???), and got the following:

Arduino: 1.8.4 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Archiving built core (caching) in: C:\Users\BJD~1.USE\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_394555\core\core_arduino_avr_uno_0c812875ac70eb4a9b385d8fb077f54c.a
Sketch uses 928 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM3 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\BJD~1.USE\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_986570/Blink.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:00:53
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

** Using Port : COM3**
An error occurred while uploading the sketch
** Using Programmer : arduino**
** Overriding Baud Rate : 115200**
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM3": Access is denied.

avrdude done. Thank you.

This is a different avrdude msg than the previous one, so something has changed, but not sure what the error is telling me. Again, installed as admin, so shouldn't be any permission problems.

George is getting upset!!

PS - I didn't (knowingly) force a com port change at any time.

Com 3 is normally the first default "free port" under windows so all good there.

That access is denied to the port and there doesn't seem to be much more info is sort of odd.
Do you have VERBOSE turned on in preferences in the IDE ?

Also when posting error messages and sketches etc. use the code tags ( </> )
People are more inclined to help if its a well laid out question in the correct format etc.

Don't get too upset maybe go scream at the moon or something LOL.
Usually issues like this quite often turn out to be something simple.

Do you know if you have any other software that may interfere with comms eg phone / sync software, other terminal software, other IDE's or development tools, over aggressive security ?

USB cables can go bad without any warning so often good to try another and ensure they are FULLY inserted at both ends.

Thanks, BSB for all your help. Much appreciated!!!
I have officially given up on ever having this work on this particular machine. After uninstalling the software, following your instructions, I then downloaded a fresh copy, and made sure I was admin before installing. It seemed to go well, and I started things up again. After getting the error, a short time after, a pop-up indicated that a driver had not installed correctly. So I took the option to install.
Uploading still did not work, same errors.

So, I decided to quit for the night. When shutting Windows down, it got to the "Shutting down" screen, then spent 15 minutes on the "preparing to configure Windows" screen, with the disk spinning constantly. I finally powered it off.
When I powered up again, the disk went nuts again, and my free space was down by 6GB. WERMGR was writing like crazy.

Long story short, this happened twice, until I finally uninstalled all again, and vowed to keep the board as far away as possible from this system. Since it does (did) work on my older boxes, guess that's where I'll be working.

Thanks to all for the assistance, esp. BSB.

It truly does sound like you have another issue NON arduino related with that box.

I would be looking at a system restore from a backup.
Or a fresh install.