ROM-Reader for Super Nintendo / Super Famicom Game Cartridges

Hi Sanni, thanks for the awesome contributions!

Could you post some high res pics of your assembled board? Specifically, I'm wondering how you mounted the 22uF cap.

I've soldered mine with the positive going to +5v, however when I plug the board in, the cap overheats and makes smoke.

edit: good catch! I confused the pinout of the regulator.

P.S.
I've had no issues flashing the NP carts without the clock gen and most SMD components, just powering everything via the arduino.

The positive pin is marked with a - on the SMD capacitors. So you have to solder it the other way.

I noticed in the Github repo that this reader can dump Genesis/MD carts. Is there an adapter needed for this?

Yes an adapter is needed which I have designed but not tested so far.

You'll also need some MD slots like those.

Excellent! Thanks so much! I placed my order.

i pushed some code based on Skaman's code to Sanni's code to enable reading Tengai Makyou Zero (SPC7110).
It also has some reorganizing of the code, that in that my opinion cleans it up a bit.

I ended up making one of the Mega Drive/Genesis cartridge adapters. I won't post a pic here because my soldering is atrocious.

I did about a dozen or so games and they all dumped fine with the exception of two. But I think the bad dumps for those two are due to the filth factor of their connectors. When I get some time later I will clean them and re-dump them.

I was pretty excited to be able to dump my Genesis games! Thanks again Sanni for the hard work!

Hi sanni. Thank you for your hard work.

Finally built mine italiano work gratis!
Now I have ordered mega drive adapter pcb from elecrow.

Can I ask to you if I have to solder n64 cable on pcb or I have to connect it on Arduino?
Another question:
ON pcb is a placement for 47 uF capacitor (near tantalum capacitor), it's optional or I have to add to the pcb?

Thanks in advance.

The 47uF is on the input side of the AMS1117 3.3V voltage regulator. It's not really needed but it helps a little.

The N64 cable connects to the bottom of the pcb:

Thank you sanni!
Which voltage you suggest for 47uF capacitor?

The capacitor can be 47uF, 100uf, 200uF or anything else you got since it is only there to filter the 5V input voltage coming from the USB plug. And the voltage rating needs to be at least 6V so I would go with 10V or 25V.

Hi sanni and everybody.
I'm studying about eprom and eeprom. I saw your project and wanted to know if it's possible to write in eeprom using arduino mega. I saw your project how you can write how to read. As I'm starting in the programming part, I wanted something that related only to writing in eeprom (29L3211).

Yes that will work. Just wire up a PSOP44 socket like this to an Arduino Mega according to the pinout.xls found on my github. Connect the pins from the Arduino column to the 16bit flash column.
You'll also need an SD module to provide the file you want to flash.

Since the 29L3211 is a 3.3V part you need to convert your Arduino to 3.3V either by following one of the tutorials for converting the serial port to 3.3V found online or by using a 3.3V voltage regulator like an AMS1117 and connecting its output to the 5V line of the Arduino Mega. In the latter case you can't connect the USB cable anymore or you'll short the Arduino out and therefore you also need to install the OLED display and the buttons to control the program independent from a PC.

Will the changes to allow reading Tengai Makyou Zero also allow for writing saves back to the cart?

Would the N64 controller port go away or would it now live in the external control unit?

It would stay the same as before, meaning a N64 controller extension cut in half and then soldered to the cart reader pcb. Just haven't modeled that in Sketchup :grin:

Is there anyone here accepting commissions to make these? I have no prior experience with soldering, and don't want to accidentally mess something up. I'm looking to get a unit like this since my Retrode 2 can't dump Nintendo Power or Xband cartridges.

I'm planning on attempting to make a couple of them. My soldering skills are mostly ok. I'm fairly confident I can pull this one off.

skyhawk71:
Is there anyone here accepting commissions to make these?

Have you seen the work that skaman has done with the Retrode? I think the Retrode can dump Nintendo Power now: Retrode forum on hold

Anyway if the prototype pcbs I ordered work out I'll have a few spares.

sanni:
Have you seen the work that skaman has done with the Retrode? I think the Retrode can dump Nintendo Power now: Retrode forum on hold

Anyway if the prototype pcbs I ordered work out I'll have a few spares.

I did see Skaman express interest in helping out with the Retrode code, but I didn't know that something was already done.

EDIT: Downloaded. Thank you for the link, Sanni!