6-pin vs 8-pin header?

Hey everyone,

Being new to arduino and hardware in general, I'm curious as to the difference between a 6-pin header and an 8-pin header. I'm planning to stack an MP3 Shield to my Arduino Uno, and it says that I can use either. Is there any difference? I'm assuming I would need 2 of one type right? (2x 6-pin or 2x 8-pin). Thanks!!!!

Right

Umm... thanks, but what's the difference between using one or the other? If it's a question of free (available) pins, wouldn't everyone just use the 6-pin headers to free up available pins for other stuff (8-pin wouldn't be necessary right)?

Maybe I'm not understanding the question, but do you mean the headers down each side? They do different things.

VAlexander:
I'm curious as to the difference between a 6-pin header and an 8-pin header.

A 6-pin header has 6 pins. While an 8-pin header has 8 pins.

You use a 6-pin header in an application or case where you want 6 signals grouped together. You use an 8-pin header in an application or case where you want 8 signals grouped together.

VAlexander:
Being new to arduino and hardware in general, I'm curious as to the difference between a 6-pin header and an 8-pin header. I'm planning to stack an MP3 Shield to my Arduino Uno, and it says that I can use either. Is there any difference? I'm assuming I would need 2 of one type right? (2x 6-pin or 2x 8-pin). Thanks!!!!

Actually, the product page says "and"...

This shield comes populated with all components as shown in the images and schematic; but it does not come with headers installed. We recommend the 6 and 8-pin stackable headers.

Which is stating that you need both 8 and 6 pin headers for the shield to connect to your Arduino, but they recommend the stackable type they stock so you can put another shield on top of the MP3 shield later if you choose to.

Cheers ! Geoff