How do I connect the ESP8266-07?

I just bought an ESP8266-07 but I cannot for the life of my figure out how to connect it to the Arduino to access my home network.

All the pictures online have shown the need for a serial to usb connector as well as the ESP8266. Is this correct? There is no way to actually just connect the ESP8266?

Depends on what you want to use it for.
You can connect it to the Arduino over Serial, and use AT commands, or you can program the ESP directly.
I prefer the latter approach. The ESP is actually a much more capable microcontroller that e.g. an Arduino UNO (5 to 10 times the clock speed, 40 times more RAM, 1 mega byte of flash storage ... ). If you use AT commands, you mostly waste those resources.
Most projects don't even need the Arduino, you can just connect all sensors/outputs to the ESP's I/O.

To program it, you need a USB-to-Serial converter, but any Arduino can perform this task.

A Beginner's Guide to the ESP8266

Pieter

im using the arduino to run a water pump and collect data from moisture sensors and I want this data to be sent to my RPI for further use. And my Arduino is an UNO.

But I will need a serial to USB for me to able to do this?

The ESP can handle all that, no need for the Arduino. If you need more than one analog input, you can use a multiplexer.
To use the UNO as a USB-to-Serial adapter, upload an empty sketch to it, and connect TX of the ESP to TX of the Arduino, RX to RX.

Pieter

Thank you Pieter!

Appreciate the guidance and help :slight_smile: