Matlab won't open - Mac OS High Sierra

Working through the initial setup sections of the Engineering Kit and have installed Matlab. However when I try to open it, it appears in the Dock for approx 2-3seconds before disappearing again. Nothing else appears on the screen.

The only possible related issue I can see is that my Xcode is failing to update itself, and I think this is the Simulink/Stateflow compiler it might be trying to access?

Has anyone else encountered this and have a possible fix?

Cheers, Oli

-- Edit 9 mins later... --

So Xcode how now sorted it's life out and works again, but Matlab still refuses to be an application, so I no longer think the two issues are related :confused:

Can you try opening MATLAB with -nosplash option as follows from a terminal window -

Applications/MATLAB_R2018a.app/bin/matlab -nosplash

Hi, the Matlab support team asked me to perform the same step earlier today, which I have done. Following this method does bring up Matlab now (slow first time). I've subsequently tried the normal way (via Launchpad) and it continues to fail as per original post.

Unfortunately, with this OS and MATLAB R2018a this is the only way to open.

Hi again; yep they've just confirmed exactly the same. Being investigated at the moment but no resolution at the moment other than this work around. Do you know if its possible to create some sort of script which automates the opening of Terminal, cd, then open matlab with the -nosplash flag? Would at least make it a bit more tolerable in the interim!

Would something like this work? - How to create a universal (script) file for a Mac, based on several Terminal commands - Ask Different

I am not an MacOs person, so apologize in advance if this is not what you are looking for.