Electric grippers

Hi, i need to create an electric gripper. I don't want to use motors couse the speed of the greep need to be about 2ms. So i tought to use a solenoid that can be real fast, but i found only hydraulic solenoids and big and heavy solenoids. The greep don't need to be real strong but i really need to contain the price. The displacement of the gripper need to be at least 1cm per part(so the solenoid need to do a min 1cm movement). Any ideas? about a better gripper or where to find parts(the name of parts)?

I will really appreciate your help!

I tought something like this: (sorry for bad drawings)

or

So you need the solenoid to release the stepper?

Have you seen this solenoid? Solenoid - 5V (Small) - ROB-11015 - SparkFun Electronics

polymorph:
So you need the solenoid to release the stepper?

Yes, something like this. But i can't find (what i need)/price relation.

jroorda:
Have you seen this solenoid? https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11015

This is really near to what i need, but as datasheet say at 6 mm stroke can generate only 20gf. It's low. Tomorrow i will calculate exact need, but i'm pretty sure that i need is a 10mm of stroke and 200+ gf.

And I correct what i type in the first post, the speed i need is 20 ms not 2 ms.

Look for pinball solenoids. They usually require 24V, but are fast and powerful.

I don't want to use motors couse the speed of the greep need to be about 2ms.

Mouse trap?

You could potentially build your own. Its a big electromagnet with a rod in the middle that is sprung one way and is driven the other way by the magnet. The pushing force is limited by the size and current in the electromagnet. More turns and more current will equal more power. A quick Google search for "build a solenoid" should be enough to get you started.