Operating Voltage

So, The first thing the i noticed respingere arduino Due spechs is:

Warning: Unlike other Arduino boards, the Arduino Due board runs at 3.3V. The maximum voltage that the I/O pins can tolerate is 3.3V. Providing higher voltages, like 5V to an I/O pin could damage the board.

I want to make a question/reflection
If i have a servo motor(i know The Servo library is non supported yet) that has an operative Voltage of 5V-6V i think i Can use the 5V pin on Arduino due. But what about the signal pin?
Is it possible that the 3.3V output of arduino due on the signal pin is interpreted as LOW level from servo and it will not rotate???
Doing in this way there is risk to break the board?

Thankyou

It depends on the servo. What you are best off doing is putting a level shifting circuit between the due output and the servo input, just to be sure. (If you google level shift circuit, there are lots of designs and chips available).

Yes probably if the input to the servo floats high when disconnected. It depends on the construction of the servo electronics.

It's starting :slight_smile:

Rob

Grumpy_Mike:

Yes probably if the input to the servo floats high when disconnected. It depends on the construction of the servo electronics.

Downloading The datasheet there is only indication about The operative Voltage of The servo. So maybe we cannot use servo whit arduino due?

On most 2.4GHz receivers the signal is 3.3v, just about all servos from the last 5 years work just fine on these radios, so I should imagine they'll work just as well on the due. Just remember the power supply for the servo wants to be somewhere around 5v and you're good to go.

Downloading The datasheet there is only indication about The operative Voltage of The servo. So maybe we cannot use servo whit arduino due?

So when the data sheet does not tell you measure it. Take a volt meter, power up the servo with 5 or 6 volts and measure what is on the input connector without connecting it up. If this shows less than 3V then you are fine, otherwise you need some protection on the pins.

Grumpy_Mike:

So when the data sheet does not tell you measure it. Take a volt meter, power up the servo with 5 or 6 volts and measure what is on the input connector without connecting it up. If this shows less than 3V then you are fine, otherwise you need some protection on the pins.

Thankyou...

..never power the servos from arduino's 5volt supply.. use external source instead..

pito:
..never power the servos from arduino's 5volt supply.. use external source instead..

sure... i use to plug 9V battery with a 7805 regulator... but i was talking about the signal pin...

My motors will be running 5V PWM from the l298 @ 3.9KHz. Can a voltage level converter run this quickly?

Also - I cannot find the DUE anywhere... (from Canada). I am sure it was released, any suggestions where I can pick up a couple?

Daniel

@dgelman

The Due is a bit hard to find at the moment because we were overwhelmed with requests while there was a small delay in the delivery of the processors.. Now everything is back on track but it would take a few days for the factory to catch up and start shipping all the backlog.

We are working on a tutorial that shows how to use the Arduino Motor Shield (based on the L298) with the Due

m

My motors will be running 5V PWM from the l298 @ 3.9KHz. Can a voltage level converter run this quickly?

Yes voltage level converters can run at as fast as the arduino can throw stuff at it.

Grumpy_Mike:

Yes voltage level converters can run at as fast as the arduino can throw stuff at it.

Thats great, I will look into a voltage level converter, as well as this tutorial mentioned below.

Hello Massimo - I am looking to purchase multiple Dues and UNOs. My research institute is located in Canada but I am open to any distributor. Where can I purchase Dues without getting capped at 1? Also, hopefully the Dues and tutorial will be up shortly - if you have any time intervals that would be great! As well as where I can look for these videos.

Also, side note: I am hearing weird things about the external interrupts on the Due. Forums are saying 0 and some are saying 8. If someone can clear this up for me, that would be great :smiley:

Daniel

you can email store (at) arduino.cc explain what you want to purchase and they will guide you.

Interrupts are now working on the Due, I don't have the exact number with me here.
I'll get cristian to jump in and explain

m