password protected dc motor operation similar to crane.

Hi, I'm working on a pet project where I'm designing a crane. Here I want the dc motor to run when a input is given from a 4*3 matrix keypad and it should run forward and reverse using keys 2 and 8 respectively, and left and right using keys 4 and 6 respectively(hold case for both motors). Now I've got the motor working but the catch is that it should not run after the keys are released, and all of this has to be password protected. Any suggestions for this? Any and all will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

So show us what you have so far. What you describe sounds easy enough to do so what problems are you having and what exactly have you tried?

Steve

The problem I'm facing is that I have used an if condition to check my password then I want the motor to commence it's operation, which is not happening. As for your request for showing the code my friend who is also helping me on this does not want the code to get out on the web(wants to code to be exclusively ours), sorry about that.

So all you'll say is that you're checking

• If password is o.k.
  • then Motor commence

That looks to me like it works perfectly.

If it doesn't then you've coded it wrong. Without seeing the code that's the best I can do. Sorry about that.

Steve

Vedant_Satarkar:
As for your request for showing the code my friend who is also helping me on this does not want the code to get out on the web(wants to code to be exclusively ours), sorry about that.

Yet you want us to freely give advice?

Vedant_Satarkar:
my friend who is also helping me on this does not want the code to get out on the web(wants to code to be exclusively ours), sorry about that.

This is an OPEN SOURCE community. That means we like it when others use our code. And we all help each other to write code. It's like a big friendly circle. I'll help you, you help me, and we'll all share the code.

As soon as you decide you want to keep your code all secret then you leave this community spirit behind. At that point you are stuck either fixing it yourself or hiring someone who will agree not to share the code. That's how closed source code goes. The only reason to keep it closed is because you think there may be money in it one day. So it is really inappropriate to ask the open source community to help you write it when we aren't going to get anything out of it.

Tell your friend that what you are trying to write isn't worth keeping secret. You really think that isn't something I could code up in about twenty minutes and it would probably run the first time? And it would look and work a lot better than whatever you are going to come up with at your level. What you make isn't going to be worth secrecy. Even if it was worth money, I could rip it off in under an hour and probably never step on your code even a little bit. So there's really no need to keep it all private. But if that's the way your friend wants to do it then it's really between you and him and whomever you might decide to pay.

Not to mention the fact that it is really impossible to debug code you can't see.

Vedant_Satarkar
We would be pleased to help but we would rather keep our advice experience and skills out of the web (want it to be exclusively ours), sorry about that.

I don't mind my help being out on the web, just don't want one letter of my code ending up in a proprietary product without significant remuneration.

What this guy is doing is like walking into the Goodwill and asking for some free donations of clothes for your resale shop. It's just scummy.

Sorry guys, but the friend I referred in my first post is actually my boss under whom I am doing my training. He does not know that I've asked for help on the forum. As this is a industrial project,they obviously don't want the code to go public. So sorry for the misdirect. I started training under him three weeks prior to my first post. But I think I have figured out the problem. The problem lies in the function keypad.getState(). I cannot get this function to be called multiple times. How can I do that?

The private code issue is easy to get around.
Keep your code completely private.

But write a public test sketch that displays your problem.
Leave out all of your proprietary code. Leave out any complicated processes that do not affect the issue.
Just include enough to show the problem.

getState() cannot be called multiple times? Write a sketch that we can look through that illustrates that issue.
Post it here. (use code tags </> )
Describe your expected behavior and how the actual behavior differs from that.

Vedant_Satarkar:
Sorry guys, but the friend I referred in my first post is actually my boss under whom I am doing my training. He does not know that I've asked for help on the forum. As this is a industrial project,they obviously don't want the code to go public. So sorry for the misdirect. I started training under him three weeks prior to my first post. But I think I have figured out the problem. The problem lies in the function keypad.getState(). I cannot get this function to be called multiple times. How can I do that?

So it's even worse than that huh? You got a job you weren't qualified for and to try to cover it up you come here and ask us to do your work for you. Does that sound honorable at all? I'd be quite embarassed there. I think that's why you said "friend" and not "boss" initially.

Go to your boss and show him the problem you are having. If he is training you then he should help. If he expected you to already be able to do this then he needs to know. If you turn in work that you got the open source community to do for you then you are not only ripping us off but your boss as well.

Brother my boss knows nothing about Arduino. He took the project without any prior knowledge and I had previously made a project where I had only interfaced a motor(making it run), so he put me on the project. Now how can I say no to a guy who knows nothing about Arduino, and at the same time is my boss. So I came to the only place where I knew I could get the necessary hint for the project. Now I am a point where I cannot give you the code even if I want to, and you cannot help without taking a look at the code. Well I try to post the code within the next couple of days.

So it is both you AND your boss who are in over your head. Sounds like you need to hire someone who DOES know what they are doing and quit trying to get these nice folks to do your job for you for free.

At least offer these nice folks a cut of your paycheck if they are going to do your job for you.

Do you not see how unscrupulous this is?

See I'm not asking you to do my or my boss's job. All I did was ask you guys if could help. If you don't want to help then don't help. At least try to be decent and maybe someday think about actually helping someone. It's my mistake that I asked you @Delta_G for help. Don't want to help that makes me wonder do you actually know anything about Arduino, coz from all your comments it makes me think all you got is ego and nothing in your brain that is worthwhile. So thank you but no thank you. And I did say I'll try to post the code in the next couple of days. So if you can and have the will to help the do comment on that else keep quite and do whatever the f**k that you do. I posted​ on this forum thinking that the experienced community members would be able to help a novice like me and guide me when I'm stumped on some part of the code.

The above comment is only for @Delta_G. Others also have said some harsh words but I think I deserved those. Not for nothing this has been a learning curve for me. So thank you for making me realize that the world out there is not what it seems. And that I need to study Arduino more, which is by coding more and more. Hope you'll help me in the future. From next time though I'll be sure to post the snippet of the code.

I'm late to this thread, having been on vacation. I really don't understand what you are trying to do. Having to input a password before the code will do anything is simple. Having the ability to change the password is a bit more complex.

But, once you have entered a password, how long should it be good for? 5 minutes? Until you press some "log me off" key? Until there is no key pressed? That latter won't take any time at all to happen, but appears to be what you are asking for.