Oil Temperature Sensor Project Guidance

EXCelerate:
I was wondering if I could just cut the wires and solder to my Arduino? The part that starts to confuse me is the fact that it's four wires. How could I figure out what each wire is for and how to make this work on my board?

Hello from fellow motorcyclist (Aprilia Tuono nutcase here.)

If the temperature probe has a 4-wire connection my guess is that it's probably a Kelvin-configured RTD. The general idea of these is to pass a constant current through the sensor on two wires (often red and black) and read the voltage drop across the other two wires (often red and black too). The measurement wires are "Kelvin" connected to the sensor resistance and offer a much better picture of the voltage drop across the element.

You might try measuring the resistance across the outer leads at room temp, then again in ice water and then in boiling water. See if the points lie in a straight line. From that, you can design a quick little constant-current source and use an analog input of the Arduino to measure things.

Without more tech data about the sensor you're going to have to do some investigation.