RTuinOS: A Real Time Operating System (RTOS) for Arduino 1.0.1

I have ported FreeRTOS as libraries for AVR and ARM Arduinos as FreeRTOSBeta20121215.zip http://code.google.com/p/beta-lib/downloads/list.

I am currently modifying the 16 examples from the FreeRTOS book http://shop.freertos.org/RTOS_primer_books_and_manual_s/1819.htm to run as Arduino sketches. I will be posting these soon.

I have also ported ChibiOS/RT as libraries for AVR and ARM Arduinos as ChibiOSBeta20121217.zip http://code.google.com/p/beta-lib/downloads/list.

ChibiOS/RT ChibiOS free embedded RTOS - ChibiOS Homepage is not as popular as FreeRTOS but is technically very interesting. It is high quality and I use it a lot.

Hello All ,

Is this RTOS compatible with the ARDUINO DUE 's ARM controller ? .

Please share the link for the tutorials and basic examples on the same .

The implementation uses assembler code, which makes it CPU and compiler dependent. RTuinOS is not compatible with ARM and it has not been designed for easy portability

Sounds like a very interesting project. I am currently investigating options for a light weight RTOS for my robot. Most of what i have seen is loaded with many functions I do not need nor want. Since there is limited resources on thease parts having just what you need is a plus. unfortunatly, the link to your code is not functoning. Have you uploaded the file in another place?

You can't tell how much flash and RAM an RTOS will take by looking at the API. Well designed RTOSs only link code you use.

For example ChibiOS takes as little as 2KB of flash if you only create tasks and simple timer functions.

You need to evaluate an RTOS for functionality, size, and performance.

Also most quality RTOSs have a configuration file that easily allows more memory to be saved by tuning the features you use.

Hello Bucknaz,

thanks for your hint, you were right, the attachment of this post became
invalid. I removed and uploaded it again but the file is still reported to
be invalid.

To circumvent the download problem, I tried to place the setup file of
RTuinOS at github, please see
RTuinOS/RTuinOS-0.9.1.zip at master · PeterVranken/RTuinOS · GitHub. You
have to follow this link and and click on Button "Raw" to start the file
download.

If memory size is a concern RTuinOS may be your choice. It's not
particularly designed for a minimum of memory usage but it does not waste
it neither.

RTuinOS is configured by an included header file. #define's enable or
disable code sections according to the demands of your application. If you
carefully design your application you will be satisfied by the achieved
memory usage. Nowadays, the code size typically barely matters and the
RAM size mainly depends on your application. Don't use threads which are
not really required; each thread requires the instantiation of a static
task descriptor variable in RAM plus an extension of the scheduler
internal thread lists plus a private stack area. The number of threads is
the main cost of RAM.

A design goal of RTuinOS is the understandability of the implementation.
Its documentation gives some hints how to further optimize the code with
respect to RAM consumption. These hints together with the clearly
documented code could enable you to tailor RTuinOS to your specific
demands.

Kind regards,

Peter

hi Peter Vranken,

nice project and i appreciate your effort, could you provide more information about how to implement it within Arduino IDE platform and much more examples as well. i have tried DuinOS and NilRTOS to solved multitasking project and i enthusiastic to do so with RTuinOS.

henry

Hi Henry,

I'm very sorry, but actually I didn't intend to support the Arduino IDE.
RTuinOS and its applications are intended to be built by makefile only.
The make processor is part of the Arduino installation, so there should be
no basic problem doing so. Accept maybe for the inconvenience if you
should not be familiar with using makefiles so far. But if so, you'll soon
learn to appreciate the advantages.

The Arduino IDE is superior with respect to getting acquainted to Arduino,
to browse the samples and documentation, to learn about the system and to
develop simple projects. However, to my opinion it's not the appropriate
tool for professional work. One will tend to use an advanced environment
like Eclipse or Emacs for software projects of larger scale. These
environments easily integrate the Arduino environment if you provide a
makefile, which defines the required build rules. But you can run the make
build also as simple as by typing a short command line. Please refer to
the RTuinOS manual, sections 4.1. to get an example.

The makefile, which comes along with RTuinOS is quite generic. It should
be applicable for most RTuinOS applications without the need for any
change. You will just have to set one or two variables (e.g. on the
command line) to specify the name of your application and the COM port
which your Arduino board is connected to. Please refer to the manual,
sections 4.2. for details.

Please refer also to section 4.6 of the manual, which discusses the
possibility of using the original Arduino libraries in RTuinOS
applications. The strongest disadvantage of any RTOS implementation for
Arduino is the fact, that the official Arduino development does not found
on this RTOS, that the Arduino libraries do not consider the specifics of
an RTOS. For a real use case (which is anything beyond playing and
learning) you will not be able to use the original libraries but you will
have to write the required I/O access code on your own. Doing the
development work with the Arduino IDE becomes even more questionable
because of this fact.

Kind regards

Peter

If you got a mega 1280/2560, and a quadram, you might want to look at this instead.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=160833.0
It's not an RTOS, instead, it allows up to 16 tasks, each with a private stack and malloc arena.
The area for the stack and arena is 32k, and you can partition it any way you like, either by just setting your own global default, or by tuning it before you start the task. I have to write the tuning before start code yet, but the demo shows the possibilities of just multitasking without much code space overhead. 8)

A new release of RTuinOS is available. This is the second release or version 1.0.2. It
introduces mutexes and semaphores. The kernel code, the makefile, the code
samples and the manual have been revised. The makefile based build process now
supports Linux, Mac OS and Windows.

Please refer to RTuinOS 1.0: Second Release of the Real Time Operating System (RTOS) for Arduino - Libraries - Arduino Forum in this forum for
details. Or visit GitHub at GitHub - PeterVranken/RTuinOS: RTuinOS, a small Real Time Operating System (RTOS) for Arduino to get a safe
download.

Peter,
Reading your last post has saddened me - no current support for 32 bit architecture.
I was happy to see that you added semaphore elements as that is essential for inter-process (think thread) communications.
The Arduino DUE is the processor of my choice mainly due to (1) higher speed, (2) larger available memory, (3) more digital pins.
Having to wait for the Arduino world to catch up to Linux level of threading brings tears to my eyes.
I can get Linux already on the Beagle Bone, but the I/O pins structure is much more restrictive.
Oh for a Linux on the DUE, the the world would happier for me.
Of course the Linux DUE will need to have 2GB of Flash in addition to 512 MB of RAM. The flash means the OS and your program can boot without need of a kludgy micro SD card.
My candle is rapidly burning down to the point of choosing the product hardware with the compelling need of an multi-threading OS so I can implement waitless read-and-continue and write-and-continue operations.

What do you think about Raspberry Pi, which seems to be even somewhat cheaper than the Due?

With avr-gcc 4.7.2 in Mint 16 I get the following results:

make -s APP=tc01 build
(...)
Compiling debug code
Linking project. Ouput is redirected to bin/tc01/DEBUG/RTuinOS_tc01.map
avr-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘--fatal-warnings’
avr-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘--no-undefined’
avr-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘--reduce-memory-overheads’
make: *** [bin/tc01/DEBUG/RTuinOS_tc01.elf] Error 1

echo $?

I've searched but found none, anyone knows what is going on?

[Edit] Same problem with Ubuntu 14.04

Hello,

Unfortunatley I can't reproduce your problem as I have a different system (Windows, avr-gcc 4.3.2), which obviously doesn't have this problem.

A basic, general tip: Run the same build command without the -s; the actually used compiler and linker command lines will become apparent in the console output and if you compare them with the online help of these tools you might get a step ahead. Then copy the critical command line and enter them directly in the shell to see if you can reproduce the same error. If so, you can start manipulating the command line until you get the linker succeesfully run or let it at least print more meaningful messages.

If the printed error messages were literally correct all you'd to do is to remove the three options from the command line; none of them is essential. (Although it could indeed be just a matter of differences in the linker interface of our two versions, I don't really believe so. I'd rather guess that the reported problem is a subsequent fault and that you will have to find the true problem.)

Given, you've found a properly working linker command line it's straight forward to change the makefiles so that they adopt your findings. Open file makefile/compileLinkAndUpload.mk and change the definition of variable lFlags. Look for "Linking project".

And please let us know ...

Thanks,
Peter

P.S. Please note, that this topic refers to the first release of RTuinOS (0.9). Meanwhile, version 1.0 has been released. If you still work with the first release, the first thing you should do is to download, install and try the current revision. Please visit RTuinOS 1.0: Second Release of the Real Time Operating System (RTOS) for Arduino - Libraries - Arduino Forum to get more information

The manual is great to start with. Thank you Peter.

We want to run rtos on arduino mega with RTuinOS version -0.9.1 but we can't this.İf your suggest an application sample with a running
file. Could your send a sample to me. For doing this. BEST REGARDS.

Runnable application samples are already available. The distribution of RTuinOS contains a number of such samples, starting from most simple to becoming more complex. The first thing you should do - prior to writing any line of code yourself - is to make these samples run. Only then you can have the needed confidence in your environment and configuration. The samples are held in the folders tc and how to compile and make them run is described in the manual.

Why do you want to work with the elder revision 0.9 of RTuinOS? I don't see any reason not to use the 1.0. Besides the functional completion of the system it came along with a strongly improved makefile, which will make initial operation of the samples easier.

Hi Peter,

Recently, I am studying the code of RTuinOS1.02, but I have a question of the code.

when I read the "RTuinOS– A Real Time Operating System for Arduino –Version 1.0 User Guide" and code annotation, I know "If mutexes or semaphores are in use suspend list is sorted with decreasing priority"(2057 line of rtos.c). But in the function 'rtos_initRTOS' of RTuinOS1.02, your code is like this :
" #if RTOS_USE_MUTEX == RTOS_FEATURE_OFF
_pSuspendedTaskAry[idxTask] = pT; // is not sorted
#else
.........// insert pT into _pSuspendedTaskAry list with decreasing priority
"
in addition, I found the codes in function "waitforEvent" (1535 line of rtos.c) :
"
#if RTOS_USE_SEMAPHORE == RTOS_FEATURE_ON || RTOS_USE_MUTEX == RTOS_FEATURE_ON

int8_t idxPos;
for(idxPos=0; idxPos<_noSuspendedTasks; ++idxPos)
if(_pSuspendedTaskAry[idxPos]->prioClass < prio)
break;
for(idxTask=_noSuspendedTasks++ - 1; idxTask>=idxPos; --idxTask)
_pSuspendedTaskAry[idxTask+1] = _pSuspendedTaskAry[idxTask];
_pSuspendedTaskAry[idxPos] = pT;
#else
_pSuspendedTaskAry[_noSuspendedTasks++] = pT;
#endif

"
So , I think there is a bug in function 'rtos_initRTOS': the code "#if RTOS_USE_MUTEX == RTOS_FEATURE_OFF" is wrong ,it should be changed as " #if RTOS_USE_SEMAPHORE == RTOS_FEATURE_OFF && RTOS_USE_MUTEX == RTOS_FEATURE_OFF"

Am I right?

Looking forward to your reply!

Best wishes to you!

Daijie

Hi,

I have received the letter from Peter.

Peter has confirmed that my analysis about the bug of 'rtos_initRTOS' function is right——" Initial acquisition of a semaphore would disregard the task priority. The earlier initialized task would get it not the one of highest priority. "

For Now, anybody can follow my explanations in #22 and fix your copy of the code.

Finally, I am very happy that I can contribute to the work of RTuinOS1.0.2.

Thanks Peter's answer.

Daijie