[MOD] Arduino Enhanced Release 1.0.5 for Windows (installer, drivers, etc) +SRC

hey guys, may i request to the developer of the Arduino ERW Enhanced Version to put a settings on tab spaces, i want to set my tab spaces to 4, and also can may you add a style configuration where in we can be able to set backgrounds and keyword color coding. lastly, if possible, can you put an intellisense? since it is an enhance version it would be so beatiful to have an intellisense...

by the way, i would like to say thank you, Your work is great... :slight_smile:
actually I am teaching an arduino worshop here in philippines and i have recommended your Arduino ERW Enhanced Version to my students.

You can set colors by going into the install directory/lib/theme and editing theme.txt.

There is always someone who want's everything done just as s/he want's... and usually someone incapable of doing it her/himself. I'm happy to have the Window$ version... FOR FREE. Were it Linux I would need to learn both a new operating system AND a new IDE. I am old enough that this would be a task I simply don't have the time or inclination for. When the Micro$oft applications fail to provide legacy support for older OS's, like Micro$oft did with XP and 7 which is inevitable sooner than later, then perhaps I'll switch. Meanwhile complain, FWIW... It gives everyone else a window into your thought processes...

I am trying to keep your suggestions a bit more tidy here:

For now, I think I will add 2 ones I think everyone agree:
-Sketch template (AlxDroidDev) it seems logical to have, and I think does not even need any option in preferences (because I am thinking on adding tabs eventually to preferences, otherwise the form will not be appropriate for small resolution screen; <800 px in height)

-Tabs-spaces option (ajk_,rhalf), but I am not sure how this needs to work yet. I am often happy as the tabs works right now.

rhalf:
hey guys, may i request to the developer of the Arduino ERW Enhanced Version to put a settings on tab spaces, i want to set my tab spaces to 4, and also can may you add a style configuration where in we can be able to set backgrounds and keyword color coding. lastly, if possible, can you put an intellisense? since it is an enhance version it would be so beatiful to have an intellisense...

actually I am teaching an arduino worshop here in philippines and i have recommended your Arduino ERW Enhanced Version to my students.

Intellisense is like the thing I always wanted to have, but it is hard to add (from scratch) :frowning: and a crappy implementation can be even worse than not having. I am keeping this as a "ultimate enhancement" because basically I think it is even easier to rebuild the IDE around another editor control.

BTW, it is great to hear you guys like the enhancements. As I said time ago in another topic, I got tired to kept updated my few little enhancements for the official IDE: http://services.ried.cl/arduino/ and since most of them were not applicable directly (hacks) it was hard to get them applied to the official version just for Windows users... and it seems all the indirect suggestions related with Windows somewhat soaked to the official one lately :smiley:

rhalf:

When I first released this mod, one guy wrote to me a pm saying in these paid arduino courses, most of the time of the class was spent setting up the environment! crazy!

eried:

ajk_:
Interesting, but...

1: I use Linux
and
2: It is still not as good and doesn't have enough tweaks as if I was just using NetBeans and make.

Still, it is nice, even if the default tab stops are still stupid. Tabs are 8, not 2, not 4.

Perhaps it would be better if you concentrated your efforts on making a good plugin for NetBeans for noobs instead. I know you won't be doing that, so here are some suggestions.

1: Remove dependence on MS Windows.
2: Tabs are 8, not 4. You should make it user adjustable too.
3: Have some place to put in extra defines for the project, so that they can be passed to GCC and G++. e.g. -DFOO=BAR
4: Have the ability to manually add include paths to GCC and G++. e.g. -I/some/path/
5: Auto-complete.
6: Spell check.
7: Dispose of how the mainline Arduino compiles, use make, and Makefiles.

If it gets all of those modifications I would be partly tempted to use it. :grin:

1. Can't remove this dependence, but source code is all there in GitHub (In particular, the dependant code is: https://github.com/eried/Arduino/tree/master/erw/csharp), so if anyone wants to remove these dependencies I will gladly accept their code. Dependencies are mainly because I enjoy using Visual Studio, but I don't enjoy Java. I know the language is similar to C# and I've used java for long years, even in programming contests (leisure scenarios), but I don't enjoy any IDE besides VS+Resharper ReSharper: The Visual Studio Extension for .NET Developers by JetBrains (...and JetBrains provided me a free license because the .net things in the IDE, so kudos for those guys! XD).

2. Good suggestion.

3-4) Can you provide more details? Like, some scenario and what do you have to do right now as a workaround?

5-6) Hard to do. The built-in editor in the IDE is very customized and basic. I haven't checked the editor on the version 1.5 yet, maybe they upgraded the editor making any enhancement more easy to do (I haven't bought a Due or newer boards yet so I will try to keep this version updated until Arduino team moves definitely to the 1.5)

1. Why? Example?
  1. That is too bad, the modifications look fairly useful, which is why I commented at all... i.e. I might be able to run in wine, and perhaps the Arduino team might get a clue and include the better bits, instead of the horrible IDE that it is right now.

3-4, 7) Certainly! I use make for everything because the Arduino IDE is too obtuse, and you end up having to change things in the library headers instead of just specifying what you want.
Go look here

for a pile of examples and scenarios where make outshines the IDE. When you use make, v.s. Arduino IDE, the settings that I have actually give you a smaller text area (flash consumed is less!).

and....
@Eclipse user who prefers eclipse: That's great, but I don't find eclipse as intuitive as NetBeans. Let us not start an editor war here, it's not productive for anybody. You are free to use what you like, and so am I. I'm just trying to make helpful suggestions.

ajk_:
and....
@Eclipse user who prefers eclipse: That's great, but I don't find eclipse as intuitive as NetBeans. Let us not start an editor war here, it's not productive for anybody. You are free to use what you like, and so am I. I'm just trying to make helpful suggestions.

ROFL
you moan about lacks in a great product from eried; you say eclipse is not as intuitive as NetBeans and then you say " Let us not start an editor war here" ( Sounds to me like like : I voiced my opinion; keep yours to yourself.)
If you really think something else is better do like eried, me and many others. Make your perfect world and make your own thread. You will found out it is plenty of hard work.

Jantje

If Netbeans is so great why aren't you busy there instead of wasting bandwidth with "who has a better command of what and how..." No One Really Cares...
Obviously in "Your" eyes it is a superior product... But for what? This is a thread about Arduino related software and what is being done by one person to make it a little friendlier and a few necessary modifications..

Doc

Jantje:

ajk_:
and....

ROFL
you moan about lacks in a great product from eried

Wrong. I'm not moaning. I am making helpful suggestions.
I am very well aware that it is a lot of work to get things right, and that you can't always please everyone. Also every person has their own opinions. I will reiterate and expand on my points.

1: Not having tab settings are bad. Tabs always have been and always will be 8. Press your tab key on any normal terminal, even a dumb term from the 70's -- you'll get an offset of 8, which is 1/10'th of 80 columns. An offset of 8 makes code easier to read, and less cluttered. Please dig up your K&R book, it will tell you the same things. Don't clutter your code, and make it easy to read.

2: There are a lot of additional options that are lacking in the Arduino compile process. If you want to move to something advanced, it becomes difficult, since the standard tools are not used. Instead the Arduino IDE team has opted to reinvent the wheel. Look at what Atmel did. They recycled studio instead of reinventing everything. That is the smart thing to do. Unfortunately (?) this is not an option here, but making use of make is. GNU tools are available on every platform. You already are using them (GCC/G++, and friends...) so make is simply the next logical step. It frees those of us who are advanced from having to use any IDE whatsoever. Choices are a good thing.

You did in your original post and you have been branded as such. Now you are giving suggestions to make it better which you should have done in your original post.

When I started with Arduino, I didn't know much about programming. The Arduino IDE is a must for beginners to get into learning as it doesn't overwhelm the person. As they get some experience and have read several tutorials, they find more ways to make programming easier by the options that their IDE introduces. As for me, I learned enough to grow out of the Arduino IDE and into eried's IDE. Since then, I have enough knowledge to incorporate Notepad++ as my editor (I do have experience with NPP as I work on websites with it).

Back to you suggestions, the "tab of 8" would be a useful addition to eried's IDE as it organizes the code better. I honestly didn't know that the tab spaces were 8 until you mentioned it..

But for your last suggestion of using make files, I think that would just over complicate an IDE that is meant to be simple for beginners.

Hi

I have a bug.

decided to change from 1.04 to 1.05 , on a windows 7 machine.

now ide does not work.

Splash screen comes up for a good few seconds, then I get a error box pop up,
Launch4J
An error occured whilst starting this application

Any suggestions please

drjiohnsmith:
Hi

I have a bug.

decided to change from 1.04 to 1.05 , on a windows 7 machine.

now ide does not work.

Splash screen comes up for a good few seconds, then I get a error box pop up,
Launch4J
An error occured whilst starting this application

Any suggestions please

1.0.4 still works?

Can you open cmd as admin, then browse to the arduino folder and execute arduino.exe --l4j-debug and post the log file created?

Hi

1.04 did work, till I re booted,
then 1.04 and 1.05 give same error.

I've just re moved every thign and re installing,

the 1.04 from the arduino site now runs,
I'll get onto your 1.05 and get back to you

ta for debug tip.

since you were talking about netbeans and eclipse. which is better ide?
i have been using eclipse for developing simple Android apps and i based on my experienced, it is so laggy in windows.
Is netbeans better than eclipse?

codlink:

You did in your original post and you have been branded as such. Now you are giving suggestions to make it better which you should have done in your original post.

When I started with Arduino, I didn't know much about programming. The Arduino IDE is a must for beginners to get into learning as it doesn't overwhelm the person. As they get some experience and have read several tutorials, they find more ways to make programming easier by the options that their IDE introduces. As for me, I learned enough to grow out of the Arduino IDE and into eried's IDE. Since then, I have enough knowledge to incorporate Notepad++ as my editor (I do have experience with NPP as I work on websites with it).

Back to you suggestions, the "tab of 8" would be a useful addition to eried's IDE as it organizes the code better. I honestly didn't know that the tab spaces were 8 until you mentioned it..

But for your last suggestion of using make files, I think that would just over complicate an IDE that is meant to be simple for beginners.

No, not at all, the IDE can hide the Makefile details, just like NetBeans and eclipse does.
Once a person becomes more advanced, they can then take advantage of what it has to offer, without a headache and transparently.

rhalf:
i have been using eclipse for developing simple Android apps and i based on my experienced, it is so laggy in windows.

Neither.
It's a matter of personal taste.
Try both, and others. There are many out there if you really go digging.
One may fit how you think. That is why there are so many choices.

rhalf:

For Android development, Eclipse is better. Not because of Eclipse itself, but because it is an effortless step to integrate the Google/Android Development Kit into the Eclipse IDE. Google provides everything already pre-packaged for development under Eclipse.

Ok,

so deleted all arduino stuff.
re booted.

downloaded 1.05 from the arduino site,
ide opens, and code compiles,
did not have board to see if I could download to board.

downloaded your package,
extracted .exe, and ran the exe as administrator,

get the same error as before. The arduino version still runs.

so I go to the edw 1.05 directory in dos,
issue arduino.exe --l4j-debug command

I get the same Launch4J error message.

any suggestions please,

drjiohnsmith:
I get the same Launch4J error message.

any suggestions please,

If you're running the IDE on a 64-bit machine, make sure you have a 32-bit JAVA VM installed. I had the same problem as you, and my problem solved after I installed a 32-bit JVM, even although I am on Windows 7 64-bit

good suggestion,

but I'm running this on a 32 bit windows 7

AlxDroidDev:

rhalf:

For Android development, Eclipse is better. Not because of Eclipse itself, but because it is an effortless step to integrate the Google/Android Development Kit into the Eclipse IDE. Google provides everything already pre-packaged for development under Eclipse.

sir, how can i make my eclipse work smoothly? its getting buggy and laggy. is normal in windows version? my eclipse version is indigo...

actually, im practicing my java in eclipse cause i want to build my own robot controller in android and do some stuffs.(actually i already have in my laptop and i wrote it in visual basic dotnet). Another thing, is unity 3d better than eclipse? would it be nice and possible if i make an arduino compiler/uploader using eclipse? or Unity3d?

thanks in advance sir!