DIYino - an Arduino compatible board for prop electronics

ArduinoMadd:
Nice! ...

Is there a schematic handy for this already? ... or is it the same as v2, wiring wise? wanna plan ahead and get supplies as well as make a hilt ...

I just finished a draft User Manual for the V3.

The pinout is the same, except for some obsolete signals necessary only for the SPI flash, which has been replaced now with an SD-card slot. Wiring wise therefore its nearly the same as V2 but way easier.

Excellent ... thanks Proto ...

Just finished Jake's (90 page+) thread and got totally confused at the end, as it went a bit off tangent ... bits of code here and there ... and it wasn't really evident how to put all the stuff together, mainly because everyone wanted to create their own versions/boards, etc ...

That left us, 'new to the scene' crew, a bit behind and dazed ... I personally would like to create a homebrew version 1st, before delving in to a ready made board ... hence why I'd like to play with the original basics of DIYuino ... with the bonus here being, you have documentation at hand ...

It might be just me being thick at times but laymen's comes in handy sometimes, even for the experienced person ... with that said ...

Is there a diagram out there to show how the Homebrew PRIME is wired, as in all the separate board modules wired together, before it became a dedicated PRIME board? ... just wanna muck about with DIYuino until v3 is ready ...

ArduinoMadd:
Is there a diagram out there to show how the Homebrew PRIME is wired, as in all the separate board modules wired together, before it became a dedicated PRIME board? ... just wanna muck about with DIYuino until v3 is ready ...

In fact the V3 is ready and available, I'm just a careful guy who wants to keep commitments, therefore I wait until I have a bigger batch before starting sales in earnest. That said, I have a few V3 in stock and before they are gone I hope I will have the big batch.

Nevertheless you can check the FX-SaberOS Wiki for wiring diagrams by jbkuma, they explain perfectly how to build a homebrew. The homebrew of course is less than a V3, but I see how it fills folks with a sense of accomplishment to build a saber core from components.

ArduinoMadd:
Excellent ... thanks Proto ...

Just finished Jake's (90 page+) thread and got totally confused at the end, as it went a bit off tangent ... bits of code here and there ... and it wasn't really evident how to put all the stuff together, mainly because everyone wanted to create their own versions/boards, etc ...

Yeah, sorry about that. If you want to build a home-brew DIYino but would prefer to write your own code, that's why I created the Universal Saber library. That way all the code you need to get started is on one place instead of spread around the thread.

An example sketch is included that should be compatible with all of the standard DYIno hardware, home-brew or otherwise. It's very simple and intended to be a starting point for those that want to dive deep into making their own custom sketch for an Arduino-based saber.

Proto:

Ok cool, so if I do a PayPal purchase, now, V3 will be in the post? :slight_smile: ...

Jake:

Hey, don't be sorry man ... without you non of this Open Source Saber would be available ... I did not mean my post (above) to come over as a criticism :wink: ... I just get so confused when 'I' cannot put things together ... I need more of an explanation, if you will ...

I have already played with USaber and the newer FX-SaberOS ... I'm slowly going through it all ...

thanks guys

ArduinoMadd:
Proto:

Ok cool, so if I do a PayPal purchase, now, V3 will be in the post? :slight_smile: ...

I still expect the V3 board to be out on time in April. I'm working hard to achieve the timeline. Actually a few are already out to testers and I will probably send out the board from my prototype run to those early birds first in the FIFO list.

I wanted to ask what sorts of speakers people normally use on their soundboards. I've done some researching and all I can seem to find are something called "lilypad speakers". From their specs, it doesn't seem like they'd have nearly the kind of output volume or quality that most arduino sabers seem to have, but I wanted to get a sort of poll on what most people normally use for audio output.

MaskedNozza:
I wanted to ask what sorts of speakers people normally use on their soundboards. I've done some researching and all I can seem to find are something called "lilypad speakers". From their specs, it doesn't seem like they'd have nearly the kind of output volume or quality that most arduino sabers seem to have, but I wanted to get a sort of poll on what most people normally use for audio output.

The best ones I found so far are the 2W, 8Ohms 28mm speakers from VECO (like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Veco-28mm-2-watt-8-ohm-Lightsaber-Speaker-X-3/112912006412?epid=22009256539&hash=item1a4a147d0c:g:zaMAAOSwevdaBt3Y). But I also made good experience with other 28mm or 20mm 2W speakers, important is the impedance, take 8Ohms.

Thanks so much for all your help thus far, Protonerd! Once I have the speaker I'll be constructing my internal chassis and figuring out how my external chassis will go together! If I'm streaming some of it or upload a video, where would you prefer that I post a notification, if at all?

Protonerd,

I ordered one of the v3 boards a couple weeks ago from the site. Do you have an updated ETA on when they will be shipping?

Maybe the info was not sticking to the eyes, but I tried to get the message through that the V3 was at that time in pre-order, due in April.

I have therefore good news for you: this week I'm going to pick up the assembled batch, so I expect shipping in the course of next week.

Protonerd:
Maybe the info was not sticking to the eyes, but I tried to get the message through that the V3 was at that time in pre-order, due in April.

I have therefore good news for you: this week I'm going to pick up the assembled batch, so I expect shipping in the course of next week.

Knew they were on Pre-order. Just wanted to see if there was a more concrete shipping date. Thanks for the info. Looking forward to working with the board.

Hi Protonerd,

Thanks for creating this awesome board. I recently bought a V3 for a saber I built and it's working great. The DIYino with FX-SaberOS is a scratchbuilder's dream.

I'm starting another saber and I'd like to have more LED's. Other than D11, D12, D13 and A0(D14) are there any pins that can be used for custom I/O? It looks like D3 and D4 aren't used, but there are no breakouts for those pins.

Hi Bipe,

If you tell me for what purpose and what kind of LEDs you need, we could brainstorm how to make it happen. The Stardust V3 does not have any additional I/Os to drive LEDs or such, but since nowadays very often neopixels are used and for static lightning you can hook up an LED to the battery as well, let's see if you really need the extra pins.

Is this project still alive? It looks like https://www.protowerkstatt.com/diyino-prop-boards has been down for a while. I was hoping to order a Stardust board.

Andras has posted on the Facebook page that he is reworking the site for changes. Maybe contact him there for a board.

Ah okay thanks. I don’t have Facebook so I guess I’ll just wait for his site to come back up. The new Infinity board sounds worth waiting for anyway.

Hi ! I'm planning to build a Homebrew lightsaber, but for now I'm gathering informations about components. I wish to know if these strips are worthy for a neopixel blade (144/m) ?
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32636234899.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.69a36c37MQkhRb
Regards

Yes... those should be fine.

@xl97 Thank you ! And what do you think of this DFPlayer ? https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32832586627.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.58396c37ewdBe3