Favourite Power MOSFET

RFD3055LE

You can't really argue with 20c a transistor!

Nice.

Dangit, I couldn't make myself wait. Just ordered another twenty of the suckers. Seven dollars including shipping, and the last time I ordered them, they were here in three days. They really seem to be a clearinghouse for bulk surplus parts, so I don't know how long their supply will last. I've bought a couple of things from this vendor, and been really happy overall..

When run through Octopart I see prices ranging from 30 to 60 cents per unit, even that is a pretty good price. (I only price out through hole. I am still SMD phobic)
http://octopart.com/partsearch#search/requestData&q=RFD3055LE&start=0&sortby[]=avg_price&sortby[]=asc

This mean I get a signed copy of the new book? :grin:

@retrolefty has recommended one several times. I'll see if I can find it...

I think this is the one...

IRF510, not sure why, might be because I bought hundred a few years ago.

IRFB9N60A
4V operation and 9.5A
$2.52 each
Using them on an ATtiny2313 controlled Step/Direction Unipolar Stepper driver.

IRLS3036-7PPbF 1.5mOhm typical at 10V, 1.7mOhm at 5V. Continuous current package limited at 240A, pulsed current limit 1000A. gate capacitance 11nF(!) D2PAK with 6 legs.

Having said that I haven't found a use for it yet!

MarkT:
IRLS3036-7PPbF 1.5mOhm typical at 10V, 1.7mOhm at 5V. Continuous current package limited at 240A, pulsed current limit 1000A. gate capacitance 11nF(!) D2PAK with 6 legs.

Okay - $7.62 qty 1
But how do you hook up a surface mount device that size and then run 240 Amps through it???

Hi!
My arduino runs on 3.3v and I would like to switch ON/OFF the GSM module (v3.4 to v4.4), which N-MOSFET do you recommend?

For Amps, I'm not sure but I think up to 3A. I power the project with 3.7v (fully charged 4.2, 4000mA)

I have found these:
RFP30N06LE N-Channel MOSFET 60V 30A - COM-10213 - SparkFun Electronics
TP60NF06 P60NF06 MOSFET TO-220 10pcs STP60NF06 P60NF06 MOSFET TO-220 | eBay

Which is the best choice?

There are loads of excellent power MOSFET's available these days... some mentioned above. I quite like the IRL1104.

I reckon they beat the pants out of bipolars for switching. But concur with the above comments - how can such a tiny bit of lead cope with such huge currents? Look at the starter leads on a car rated at 200 amps or so.

Answer - not for long!

But for high voltage I'd look at IGBT's

Allan.

"how can such a tiny bit of lead cope with such huge currents? "

1 inch of 22AWG copper is .002 ohms.

So at 100A it dissipates 20 watts - how long will it last?

Look at a 20W power resistor - it's surface area is MUCH bigger. And it's probably wound with nichrome, which will withstand a much higher temperature before it melts ...

Allan

There will be other components in the circuit that will be much more than .002 ohms so you will never get near 20 watts.

If there's 100A flowing down that wire, however it gets there, it will get hot. But not for long.

If you look at the specs for these amazing devices, their 'continuous' rating is actually for pulses.

Imagine the size of their bondwires! They fail before the external leads.

When you get it wrong ( I have) it blows the package to bits.

And emits the infamous magic smoke.

Allan

Let's say Rds on was .008 ohms at 100 amps.
That would be 80watts, you would need huge heat sinking to keep the package from melting and remember the leads are physically connected and dissipate heat to the device.

They're great devices.. but ...

caveat emptor when it comes to the current ratings...

Allan

"caveat emptor when it comes to the current ratings..."
Quite true.

I derate by 1/2 or more when high current raises its ugly head.

BTW, I hate heat sinks.

I know it's not though hole but I bought more psmn2r4-30 mosfets than anything else. About 50 cents a peice 2.4mOhm and a 3.3mm package. Takes about the same size on a board as a sot-23. A very fast recovery diode too for motor driving. Great for small speed controllers.

Hi,
"RFD3055LE" that almost sounds like its the MOSFET solution to the good old 2N3055 power?? transistor.

2N3055 friend to all those who ventured into the electronics world of model train control.

In the 60s and 70s, Cyclops toys in Australia had to make a transistor controller for Triang-Hornby model railways that they were the importer for.

The imported controllers, were expensive because they had to be rebuilt to 240Vac spec even on the 15Vac/12Vdc side. The imported units had lighter insulation on the low voltage side, a no no by Australian Electrical Regs.

The local design used the 2N3055 as the transistor of choice.
The controller comprised of apart from a transformer, a SELENIUM rectifier, 1k pot, 1k resistor, 2N3055 and a 21W automotive globe to act as current limit.

Ahh the days of locally built electronics.

RFD3055LE, you wonder about some part numbers don't you, some make sense when you look at the components characteristics, others look like they just ran a random number generator to get a part number.

Tom..... :slight_smile:

Anyone remember the NKT404?

Allan