Can anyone identify this IC?

Tried google and checked stuff I have ordered...but maybe they are "fakes"?

HJ1611

Full res

What is this SUPPOSED to be?? Whole chip image? That may be a date code..

Small parts like that often have nearly useless markings on them, just a date/lot code and a shortened code that is listed in the datasheet - but for which there doesn't seem to be a lookup table for. ie, if you have the datasheet, you can see what it says is supposed to be written on the chip, but there's no list where you can take the number and find out what chip it is

Yup, a catch 22, you have to know which part it is before you can identify it...

checked stuff I have ordered

What did you order?

It looks like the Microchip logo.

And Microchip now owns Atmel.

If he ordered it, he's fine since he knows what it should be - just check the datasheet for the part, and it will tell you what the markings should look like; It's usually near the end of the datasheet in the section with part number and ordering info you normally don't bother reading.

Right, I think it might be some 5V regulators in SOT package...

I will wire one up later. Seems a bit odd that the markings don't give a hint. Did not know that so thanks for the heads up. Will teach me to be more careful and organise parts in future better...

Or leave them in their packaging/ESD bags until you are ready to use them.

I've got bags of little SMD LEDs, I use a sharpie and mark their anode/cathode orientations on the bag so I don't have to keep looking up the datasheet.

CrossRoads:
I've got bags of little SMD LEDs, I use a sharpie and mark their anode/cathode orientations on the bag so I don't have to keep looking up the datasheet.

What could be simpler than standardize on a triangle for the anode.

The SMD LEDs are not marked like that. You have to interpret which laser etched bar or something else on the physical package represents the cathode, things like that. And no two seem alike.

They could have standardized.

Yeah, but you know manufacturers, everybody's got to do their own thing.
New 1284 Logger boards are in, waiting on a stencil. 9 days for boards from iteadstudio, got here so quick I wasn't ready with the stencils yet.

CrossRoads:
Yeah, but you know manufacturers, everybody's got to do their own thing.
New 1284 Logger boards are in, waiting on a stencil. 9 days for boards from iteadstudio, got here so quick I wasn't ready with the stencils yet.

Great!

What's that round thing in the middle? This an eeprom ?

Southpark:
What's that round thing in the middle? This an eeprom ?

It is the "ejector" mark.
The moulds used to cast the epoxy encapsulation have ejector pins to enable removal of the device from the mould. There is inevitably a discontinuity in the surface level at this point.

It looks like it is LDO:

MCP1702 250 mA Low Quiescent Current LDO Regulator - Microchip

Google found it when searching for "Microchip hj". HJ should be code suggesting 5.0 V, 1611 date of manufacture and V1P traceability code.

JohnLincoln:
It is the "ejector" mark.
The moulds used to cast the epoxy encapsulation have ejector pins to enable removal of the device from the mould. There is inevitably a discontinuity in the surface level at this point.

Thanks John!