Unable to read any SMS's other than the first SMS using SIM908 shield

I'm using two SIM908 shield to communicate with each other. One of the shields will be connected to a sensor and it should send values contentiously to the second SIM908 (receiver). I'm facing a problem on the receiver side, I'm only able to receive the first SMS and when sending a new SMS it displays the first one.

The code that I'm using is from (cooking-hacks.com) where I bought the shield. In the original code the instructions were in void setup function so I moved them to void loop function to keep checking for new SMS and print any received values. I also made other minor changes. Here is the code

int8_t answer;
int x;
int onModulePin= 2;
char aux_string[30];
char SMS[200];
float fSMS;

char data[20];

void setup(){

pinMode(onModulePin, OUTPUT);
Serial.begin(115200);  

Serial.println("Starting...");
power_on();

}

void loop(){

Serial.println("Setting SMS mode...");
sendATcommand("AT+CMGF=1", "OK", 1000);    // sets the SMS mode to text
sendATcommand("AT+CPMS=\"SM\",\"SM\",\"SM\"", "OK", 1000);    // selects the memory

answer = sendATcommand("AT+CMGR=1", "+CMGR:", 2000);    // reads the first SMS (since all other messages are deleted from previous delete statment)
if (answer == 1)
{
    answer = 0;
    while(Serial.available() == 0);
    // this loop reads the data of the SMS
    do{
        // if there are data in the UART input buffer, reads it and checks for the asnwer
        if(Serial.available() > 0){    
            SMS[x] = Serial.read();
            x++;
            // check if the desired answer (OK) is in the response of the module
            if (strstr(SMS, "OK") != NULL)    
            {
                answer = 1;
            }
        }
    }while(answer == 0);    // Waits for the asnwer with time out

SMS[x] = '\0';

/*  strtok(SMS, ",");
strtok(NULL, ",");
strtok(NULL, ",");
strtok(NULL, "\n");
strcpy(data,strtok(NULL, ""));*/

Serial.println(SMS);    

//Serial.println(data);

/*    fSMS= atof (data);
    Serial.println(fSMS, 5);*/

}
else
{
    Serial.print("error ");
    Serial.println(answer, DEC);
}

Serial.println("AT+CMGDA= \"DEL ALL\"");//delete all messages from SIM card 

delay(5000);
 }

void power_on(){

uint8_t answer=0;

// checks if the module is started
answer = sendATcommand("AT", "OK", 2000);
if (answer == 0)
{
    // power on pulse
    digitalWrite(onModulePin,HIGH);
    delay(3000);
    digitalWrite(onModulePin,LOW);

// waits for an answer from the module
    while(answer == 0){     // Send AT every two seconds and wait for the answer
        answer = sendATcommand("AT", "OK", 2000);    
    }
}

}

int8_t sendATcommand(char* ATcommand, char* expected_answer, unsigned int timeout){

uint8_t x=0,  answer=0;
char response[100];
unsigned long previous;

memset(response, '\0', 100);    // Initialice the string

delay(100);

while( Serial.available() > 0) Serial.read();    // Clean the input buffer

Serial.println(ATcommand);    // Send the AT command 

x = 0;
previous = millis();

// this loop waits for the answer
do{
    // if there are data in the UART input buffer, reads it and checks for the asnwer
    if(Serial.available() != 0){    
        response[x] = Serial.read();
        x++;
        // check if the desired answer is in the response of the module
        if (strstr(response, expected_answer) != NULL)    
        {
            answer = 1;
        }
    }
    // Waits for the asnwer with time out
}while((answer == 0) && ((millis() - previous) < timeout));    

return answer;
}

I may be wrong, but you appear to be trying to talk to both the SIM908 AND the serial monitor through D0 & D1?

See SerialRelay for SIM908 - Needs Leonardo. - Networking, Protocols, and Devices - Arduino Forum

Isn't a SIM908 overkill to just receive SMS?

I apologies , I should have been more clear regarding my project. I will be using the first SIM shield (sender) which will be placed in a vehicle to send its coordinate to the second SIM shield (receiver). I was able to send the coordinates contentiously to my mobile phone. However, I'm not able to contentiously receiver this data on the receiver side. I need to use the coordinates to calculate the distance between the two shields.

Now regarding the serial communication, yes you're right regarding my use of D0 & D1. I didn't know that this may cause an issue ( I'm fairly new at using arduino). Is it possible to solve this issue by using an Arduino Mega where D0 & D1 will communicate with the shield and use other serial communication pins such as pin 14 and 15 to communication with the serial monitor?

Yes, that is one option. But you would have to use Serial to communicate with the Serial Monitor, and Serial1 to communicate with the shield?