Using 120V AC through a Breadboard (good or terrible idea?)

Now, since I am using this transformer, what precautions would you advise? Is it okay to wire the transformer into the breadboard? Or is that equally a bad idea?

If the transformer provides isolation from the mains (which I cannot confirm) then it is OK to wire the low voltage side to the breadboard. My concern remains that you will still have to connect the mains side to the mains and based on what I think you know about mains safety I am concerned about you doing that.

You should also connect the DC output of the rectifier (not the AC input for the same reasons I have already given) to ground as an extra precaution, usually the -ve side as that is the most common configuration for most electronics. Am I correct that you are in the US? Despite 2 visits to the US I do not know if your mains supplies have ground connections, I imagine they must....

My other point was that you at least need a fuse - about 1A - securely wired in series with the secondary of the transformer in order to prevent a fire when something goes wrong. I am presuming that the transformer already comes mounted in a case to protect the AC wiring and the case is grounded with a 3 pin plug fitted. A picture or Web link would have been reassuring.

PerryBebbington:
If the transformer provides isolation from the mains (which I cannot confirm) then it is OK to wire the low voltage side to the breadboard. My concern remains that you will still have to connect the mains side to the mains and based on what I think you know about mains safety I am concerned about you doing that.

You should also connect the DC output of the rectifier (not the AC input for the same reasons I have already given) to ground as an extra precaution, usually the -ve side as that is the most common configuration for most electronics. Am I correct that you are in the US? Despite 2 visits to the US I do not know if your mains supplies have ground connections, I imagine they must....

Yes they do have grounds connections, but the 120V AC side of my transformer only has hot and COM (neutral) connections. The plug I can wire it to does have a ground connection.

So, do you advise that I connect a wire from the DC output into the connection on the plug that is for ground? Or should I also connect the DC - side to the COM AND the ground at the plug? In theory would this mean that my grounded wire will always have 24V DC going through it? If so, will that cause my breaker to trip?

Thanks

Paul__B:
My other point was that you at least need a fuse - about 1A - securely wired in series with the secondary of the transformer in order to prevent a fire when something goes wrong. I am presuming that the transformer already comes mounted in a case to protect the AC wiring and the case is grounded with a 3 pin plug fitted. A picture or Web link would have been reassuring.

Link to the transformer I have, it is the 90-T40F3:

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/white-rodgers/90-t40f1/70101870/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpsLkBRDpARIsAKoYI8zonaQBFHKDQyC-sBfpX_p-z5E8GeZkhP34PTEuVBt78q5mtlJNJWsaArm1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Oh no that's not having a ground....

Yes they do have grounds connections, but the 120V AC side of my transformer only has hot and COM (neutral) connections. The plug I can wire it to does have a ground connection.

So, do you advise that I connect a wire from the DC output into the connection on the plug that is for ground? Or should I also connect the DC - side to the COM AND the ground at the plug? In theory would this mean that my grounded wire will always have 24V DC going through it? If so, will that cause my breaker to trip?

To the input side of the transformer you connect hot (live) to the mains live and COM (neutral) to the mains neutral. Nothing else.

You connect an earth / ground wire from the plug to the negative (-ve) output of the rectifier, not to the transformer. At no point do you connect the hot (live) or the COM (neutral) to anything on the low voltage side of anything, nor should you connect them to earth / ground or to anything that is connected to earth / ground.

The use of the term 'COM' for neutral slightly concerns me but it might be just the difference between US and UK terminology. Are you sure this connection is the one intended to go to neutral? I can't tell from the photo and description.

In theory would this mean that my grounded wire will always have 24V DC going through it?

You might think this a pedantic point about language but it's important because it's about how electricity works. The phrase 'have 24V DC going through it' has no meaning because contrary to frequent inaccurate artistic representation, voltage does not go through anything, voltage is between 2 points, not through. Current goes through.

I will draw it out and send a picture thanks Perry. I believe here in the US neutral can also be referred to as the common line that is connected to ground. Our neutral line provides a common connection to ground. We also have the third ground part of the plug, which only ever has current going through it if there is a ground fault, and a lot of our appliances only use hot and neutral without the third ground part.

Perry, please see my attached drawing. I highlighted in pink what I interpreted as you telling me to connect the DC out to the ground at the wall. Please let me know if this setup will work and if not how to fix it. I also added the Arduino in there with a relay (which I'll do after making sure it is good without the relay. I use a switch to turn everything on and off. The Arduino is physically isolated from the high power side and has its own separate 9V power supply.

I find it odd to connect the 24V DC out to the ground at the wall. This wont trip my breaker?

In response to your previous post, our 'neutral' wire is connected to the ground at the transformer outside. It has a ground conductor that brings it back to the transformer. It is at or near ground potential even when it is live. As far as I know the ground part of our plug is actually connected to the ground.

Thanks

Picture size was too big, had to resize.

rclark43:
Perry, please see my attached drawing. I highlighted in pink what I interpreted as you telling me to connect the DC out to the ground at the wall. Please let me know if this setup will work and if not how to fix it. I also added the Arduino in there with a relay (which I'll do after making sure it is good without the relay. I use a switch to turn everything on and off. The Arduino is physically isolated from the high power side and has its own separate 9V power supply.

I find it odd to connect the 24V DC out to the ground at the wall. This wont trip my breaker?

In response to your previous post, our 'neutral' wire is connected to the ground at the transformer outside. It has a ground conductor that brings it back to the transformer. It is at or near ground potential even when it is live. As far as I know the ground part of our plug is actually connected to the ground.

Thanks

As far as I can see that's fine.

I find it odd to connect the 24V DC out to the ground at the wall. This won't trip my breaker?

Correct, it won't. There is no circuit that the breaker is involved in to trip anything. Doing this is for safety, in the event that, for example, the transformer insulation breaks down then any resulting leakage will be grounded and your breaker should trip. You should connect the 0V of the Arduino circuit to ground for the same reason. If you project ends up in a metal case you should connect the case to ground as well.

I would expect neutral and ground to be connected somewhere, that's what makes neutral neutral. That does not mean neutral can be used as a ground connection for at least 2 reasons:

1. Assuming you have earth leakage protection (I think you have from what you said) the leakage current needs to bypass the earth leakage breaker in order to trigger it. The neutral goes through the earth leakage breaker so any leakage back through the neutral won't trigger the breaker.
  2. The neutral in the return path for current in the live wire after it has gone through whatever you are powering, so the neutral is connected to live via lights, heaters, TVs, whatever. In the event that the neutral becomes disconnected, maybe because of a loose connection, then the neutral becomes live and it no longer safe.

PerryBebbington:
2. The neutral in the return path for current in the live wire after it has gone through whatever you are powering, so the neutral is connected to live via lights, heaters, TVs, whatever. In the event that the neutral becomes disconnected, maybe because of a loose connection, then the neutral becomes live and it no longer safe.

Perry could you please explain your second point here? When the electrical AC path is going from the load to the neutral, is the neutral not at ground potential? And, when the current reverses direction and goes from the neutral to the load, is it also not at ground potential? Could you also please explain what you mean by the neutral becoming disconnected? Disconnected in between the wall outlet and the load? Or between the wall outlet and breaker? Or between the breaker and the transformer outside?

Here in the US we have tons of plugs for appliances that do not have a ground prong, which is probably much less safer than what y'all have in the UK.

rclark43:
Perry could you please explain your second point here? When the electrical AC path is going from the load to the neutral, is the neutral not at ground potential? And, when the current reverses direction and goes from the neutral to the load, is it also not at ground potential? Could you also please explain what you mean by the neutral becoming disconnected? Disconnected in between the wall outlet and the load? Or between the wall outlet and breaker? Or between the breaker and the transformer outside?

Here in the US we have tons of plugs for appliances that do not have a ground prong, which is probably much less safer than what y'all have in the UK.

Could you also please explain what you mean by the neutral becoming disconnected? Disconnected in between the wall outlet and the load? Or between the wall outlet and breaker? Or between the breaker and the transformer outside?

Disconnected anywhere due to a fault or damage. In order to draw power an appliance has to be connected to both live and neutral. Under normal working conditions the neutral wire is at or very close to ground potential all the time. However, it is also connected via whatever appliances you have to live. If, due to a fault or whatever, the neutral becomes disconnected at some point then after that point the neutral will be at or close to live potential, and so not safe to touch. For this reason you cannot consider the neutral and earth to be the same, even though they are at the same potential under normal working conditions. If you unplug something then you disconnect both the live and the neutral so the neutral being disconnected doesn't matter, as the live is also disconnected.

In the UK it is OK for appliances that have insulating cases, which usually means made of plastic, not to have an earth connection as there is nothing to earth. The actual terminology is double insulated (look it up), which come down to the equipment inside the case is insulated and the case itself is insulating, so there are 2 insulating barriers between you and the tickley stuff.

The US 120V supply, while not completely safe, is a lot safer than our 230V supply (the voltage at my house is usually around 250V).

Perry, I'm still a little confused. If the neutral becomes disconnected then how is the power transmitted? Doesn't the circuit break open? Wouldn't any power stored between the live (hot) wire and the load be forced to ground from that? Perhaps either through a ground cable, or something else?

What I don't get is how the neutral becomes live if it breaks off. Do you have a video link or article?

Thanks

"Double insulated" - the requirement for not having an earth wire - also means that the transformer itself must have two defined layers of insulation between primary and secondary (and that does not include the enamel coating on the wire). If this is the case, there is no need to ground the secondary in any way.

rclark43:
Perry, I'm still a little confused. If the neutral becomes disconnected then how is the power transmitted? Doesn't the circuit break open? Wouldn't any power stored between the live (hot) wire and the load be forced to ground from that? Perhaps either through a ground cable, or something else?

If the neutral becomes disconnected, then any and all appliances connected to that neutral will form a connection to the live. Power will not be transmitted because the circuit has been broken, it will be obvious that something is wrong, but until action is taken, those non-functioning appliances will be holding the neutral to live and contact with the neutral will be dangerous.

rclark43:

What I don't get is how the neutral becomes live if it breaks off. Do you have a video link or article?

Thanks

I'm struggling to find new ways to say this but I'll try.

You understand that the live is dangerous, yes? You understand that there is a connection from the live to, for example, an electric heater, yes? And a connection from the other side of the heater to neutral, yes? So there is a connection from the live via the heater to the neutral, yes? As long as the neutral is connected as it should be, through the wiring back to the local distribution transformer then all is fine. If the neutral becomes disconnected, maybe because of a loose connection, at, for the sake of argument, where it comes into the house, then from that point onwards the neutral in the house is not connected to the distribution transformer but it is connected, via the heater (an anything else) to live. The neutral wire is now live (hot) and therefore dangerous. If you touch it you will get a shock.

Do you have a video link or article?

No, I have the training I did in college, I have what my dad taught me when I was a boy and I have 50 years experience. If my explanation doesn't work for you then I'm sorry but I out of ideas for explaining any more clearly. I invite someone else to try and I invite you to search elsewhere. Sorry, I've done my best.

Edit: I didn't see Paul__B's diagram until after I had posted the above. I hope his diagram makes it clear.

PerryBebbington:
Edit: I didn't see Paul__B's diagram until after I had posted the above.

That is because it wasn't there! :grinning:

I think I get it now and I appreciate your explanations. After setting everything up I'll come back and let y'all know how it went.

You're probably tired of me but I do have another question about the control aspect of this. Will PWM on the relay be effective control? Should the snubber capacitor be placed before or after the relay?

I just realized that in the drawing I posted the capacitor comes before the relay and will therefore always have DC going through. Any thoughts?

Paul__B:
That is because it wasn't there! :grinning:

DAMN! I gave you Karma for that. --Karma doesn't seem to work :confused:

rclark43:
I think I get it now and I appreciate your explanations. After setting everything up I'll come back and let y'all know how it went.

You're probably tired of me but I do have another question about the control aspect of this. Will PWM on the relay be effective control? Should the snubber capacitor be placed before or after the relay?

I just realized that in the drawing I posted the capacitor comes before the relay and will therefore always have DC going through. Any thoughts?

The capacitor comes before the relay and will therefore always have DC going through. Any thoughts?

Should the snubber capacitor be placed before or after the relay?

Yes, DC doesn't go through capacitors. The capacitor is in the right place as far as I can tell. It's job is to smooth the output from the rectifier and it should always be connected. Unless we are talking about different capacitors it's called a smoothing capacitor.

Will PWM on the relay be effective control?

I was so focused on how you were supplying power I didn't notice PWM to the relay. No, you can't do that, a relay cannot switch anything like fast enough for normal PWM. There is an exception, which I am pretty sure does not apply here. For a heating load you might want PWM running very slowly. My heating controller uses PWM but the time for 1 cycle is 12 minutes. That is unusual for PWM.