Changing Arduino Zero PWM Frequency

hi:MartinL
this code seen to affect my ADC 3 input.
any idea?

// Output 250kHz PWM on timer TCC0 (6-bit resolution)
void setup()
{
REG_GCLK_GENDIV = GCLK_GENDIV_DIV(1) | // Divide the 48MHz clock source by divisor 1: 48MHz/1=48MHz
GCLK_GENDIV_ID(4); // Select Generic Clock (GCLK) 4
while (GCLK->STATUS.bit.SYNCBUSY); // Wait for synchronization

REG_GCLK_GENCTRL = GCLK_GENCTRL_IDC | // Set the duty cycle to 50/50 HIGH/LOW
GCLK_GENCTRL_GENEN | // Enable GCLK4
GCLK_GENCTRL_SRC_DFLL48M | // Set the 48MHz clock source
GCLK_GENCTRL_ID(4); // Select GCLK4

// Enable the port multiplexer for the digital pin D7
PORT->Group[g_APinDescription[7].ulPort].PINCFG[g_APinDescription[7].ulPin].bit.PMUXEN = 1;

// Connect the TCC0 timer to digital output D7 - port pins are paired odd PMUO and even PMUXE
// F & E specify the timers: TCC0, TCC1 and TCC2
PORT->Group[g_APinDescription[6].ulPort].PMUX[g_APinDescription[6].ulPin >> 1].reg = PORT_PMUX_PMUXO_F;

// Feed GCLK4 to TCC0 and TCC1
REG_GCLK_CLKCTRL = GCLK_CLKCTRL_CLKEN | // Enable GCLK4 to TCC0 and TCC1
GCLK_CLKCTRL_GEN_GCLK4 | // Select GCLK4
GCLK_CLKCTRL_ID_TCC0_TCC1; // Feed GCLK4 to TCC0 and TCC1

// Dual slope PWM operation: timers countinuously count up to PER register value then down 0
REG_TCC0_WAVE |= TCC_WAVE_POL(0xF) | // Reverse the output polarity on all TCC0 outputs
TCC_WAVE_WAVEGEN_DSBOTH; // Setup dual slope PWM on TCC0
while (TCC0->SYNCBUSY.bit.WAVE); // Wait for synchronization

// Each timer counts up to a maximum or TOP value set by the PER register,
// this determines the frequency of the PWM operation:
REG_TCC0_PER = 96; // Set the frequency of the PWM on TCC0 to 250kHz
while (TCC0->SYNCBUSY.bit.PER); // Wait for synchronization

// Set the PWM signal to output 50% duty cycle
REG_TCC0_CC3 = 48; // TCC0 CC3 - on D7
while (TCC0->SYNCBUSY.bit.CC3); // Wait for synchronization

// Divide the 48MHz signal by 1 giving 48MHz (20.83ns) TCC0 timer tick and enable the outputs
REG_TCC0_CTRLA |= TCC_CTRLA_PRESCALER_DIV1 | // Divide GCLK4 by 1
TCC_CTRLA_ENABLE; // Enable the TCC0 output
while (TCC0->SYNCBUSY.bit.ENABLE); // Wait for synchronization
}

void loop() { }

Hi bnn1044,

Have you tried using another analog input?

You could also try changing the PWM to another digital pin, but this may require the use of another TCC timer (TCC1 or TCC2), or a different channel on TCC0.

At 250kHz the PWM signal is going pretty fast, does your application require this speed or could it use a slower frequency? What sort of load/device is your PWM driving?

I'd also try to keep any analog wiring separate as they come off the board.

Hello Everyone,

I am working with SAM15x15 which uses same MCU as Zero does. I am needed to have PWM at PA23 pin. I cant understand how to change code which I found in that topic for my needs. Can someone help me please?

// Output 250kHz PWM on timer TCC0 (6-bit resolution)
void setup() 
{ 
  REG_GCLK_GENDIV = GCLK_GENDIV_DIV(1) |          // Divide the 48MHz clock source by divisor 1: 48MHz/1=48MHz
                    GCLK_GENDIV_ID(4);            // Select Generic Clock (GCLK) 4
  while (GCLK->STATUS.bit.SYNCBUSY);              // Wait for synchronization

REG_GCLK_GENCTRL = GCLK_GENCTRL_IDC |           // Set the duty cycle to 50/50 HIGH/LOW
                     GCLK_GENCTRL_GENEN |         // Enable GCLK4
                     GCLK_GENCTRL_SRC_DFLL48M |   // Set the 48MHz clock source
                     GCLK_GENCTRL_ID(4);          // Select GCLK4

// Enable the port multiplexer for the digital pin D7 
  PORT->Group[PORTA].PINCFG[21].bit.PMUXEN = 1;

// Connect the TCC0 timer to digital output D7 - port pins are paired odd PMUO and even PMUXE
  PORT->Group[PORTA].PMUX[20 >> 1].reg = PORT_PMUX_PMUXO_F;

REG_GCLK_CLKCTRL = GCLK_CLKCTRL_CLKEN |         // Enable GCLK4 to TCC0 and TCC1
                     GCLK_CLKCTRL_GEN_GCLK4 |     // Select GCLK4
                     GCLK_CLKCTRL_ID_TCC0_TCC1;   // Feed GCLK4 to TCC0 and TCC1

// Dual slope PWM operation: timers countinuously count up to PER register value then down 0
  REG_TCC0_WAVE |= TCC_WAVE_POL(0xF) |         // Reverse the output polarity on all TCC0 outputs
                    TCC_WAVE_WAVEGEN_DSBOTH;    // Setup dual slope PWM on TCC0
  while (TCC0->SYNCBUSY.bit.WAVE);               // Wait for synchronization

REG_TCC0_PER = 96;         // Set the frequency of the PWM on TCC0 to 250kHz
  while (TCC0->SYNCBUSY.bit.PER);                // Wait for synchronization

REG_TCC0_CC3 = 48;         // TCC0 CC3 - on D7
  while (TCC0->SYNCBUSY.bit.CC3);                // Wait for synchronization

// Divide the 48MHz signal by 1 giving 48MHz (20.83ns) TCC0 timer tick and enable the outputs
  REG_TCC0_CTRLA |= TCC_CTRLA_PRESCALER_DIV1 |    // Divide GCLK4 by 1
                    TCC_CTRLA_ENABLE;             // Enable the TCC0 output
  while (TCC0->SYNCBUSY.bit.ENABLE);              // Wait for synchronization
}

void loop() { }

Hi sergun2311,

In the SAMD21 Datasheet's "PORT Function Multiplexing" table 7-1, you'll see that pin PA23 uses timer TCC0/W0[4] on peripheral F. Timer TCC0 has 4 channel outputs WO[0]..WO[3] that that correspond to counter compare registers CC0..CC3, these repeat for channels WO[4]..WO[7]. Therefore WO[4] uses the corresponding counter compare register REG_TCC0_CC0.

In your code, to switch the pin from GPIO to the peripheral multiplexer just change the 21 to 23:

// Enable the port multiplexer for the SCL pin
PORT->Group[PORTA].PINCFG[23].bit.PMUXEN = 1;

...and to select the TCC0 timer on peripheral F:

// Connect the TCC0 timer to pin SCL - port pins are paired odd PMUO and even PMUXE
PORT->Group[PORTA].PMUX[23 >> 1].reg |= PORT_PMUX_PMUXO_F;

Here we just divide the port number 23 by 2 (23 >> 1), as there are 32 port pins, but only 16 PMUX registers. Each PMUX register can control two port pin pairs: odd (in this case PA23) and even (PA22).

Finally just change the counter compare register and the subsequent synchronization bit from CC3 to CC0:

REG_TCC0_CC0 = 48;         // TCC0 CC0 - on SCL
while (TCC0->SYNCBUSY.bit.CC0);                // Wait for synchronization

Hi MartinL,

Thanks a lot, you helped me so much.
In your explanation you've misprinted about channel WO[4], it is WO[5] but it pushed me to fix it and understand it better.

Hi sergun2311,

In your explanation you've misprinted about channel WO[4], it is WO[5]

I misread the datasheet, thanks for the correction. So it should be register CC1 instead.

Hi MartinL,

Now I have PWM with frequency 200 kHz on PA23. I am also needed to have PWM output on PA22 with much lower frequency (>10kHz). Did I understood it right that it is impossible because they works with the same timer?

Hi sergun2311,

That's right, on the SAMD21 it's not possible to have different PWM frequencies on the same timer. This is because although a timer may have a number of output channels, it only has one period (PER) register that determines frequency.

Your options in this instance are either to choose a different pin using a different TCC timer, or alternatively switch one of the pins to peripheral E (rather than F) and use the TC4 timer instead. Although the TC timers have less functionality that the PWM oriented TCC ones, they're still capable of outputting basic PWM waveforms at a given frequency.

Hi MartinL,

I have tried your PWM example on my feather M0 and it works great. I am trying to control the frequency/speed of a stepper motor with a analog pot attached to A1. I have increased the PWM frequency to 90KHz to get higher rpm out of the stepper. As I rotate the pot the PWM output gets erratic looking at the PWM output with a scope the PWM output starts and stops. Here is what I am using to change the frequency.

PotValue = analogRead(Pot);
REG_TCC1_PER = PotValue; // Set the frequency of the PWM
while(TCC1->SYNCBUSY.bit.PER);

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Hi Jimbee,

If you're changing the frequency during operation then just use the buffered period (PERB) register instead:

PotValue = analogRead(Pot);
REG_TCC1_PERB = PotValue;      // Set the frequency of the PWM
while(TCC1->SYNCBUSY.bit.PERB);

Using the buffered PERB register will cause the frequency change to happen at the beginning of each timer cycle (overflow) and should prevent the erratic PWM output that you're seeing on your scope.

Hi everyone,

thank you all (and especially MartinL) for your work here and helping me understand this topic. It was a lot to read and understand, and my results tell me I am not even there...

My situation:
I am working on a Zero and need to create a 20kHz pwm signal to pins D3 (PA09) and D5 (PA15).
After a long study on the SAMD21 data sheet I thought I could take the TCCO CC1 (which should address WO1 for D3/PA09 and WO5 for D5/PA15) to do so.
The test results tell me I was wrong. But I can not figure it out...

Here is my code:

void setup()
{

REG_GCLK_GENDIV = GCLK_GENDIV_DIV(1) |          // Divide the 48MHz clock source by divisor 1: 48MHz
                    GCLK_GENDIV_ID(4);            // Select Generic Clock (GCLK) 4
  while (GCLK->STATUS.bit.SYNCBUSY);              // Wait for synchronization

REG_GCLK_GENCTRL = GCLK_GENCTRL_IDC |           // Set the duty cycle to 50/50 HIGH/LOW
                     GCLK_GENCTRL_GENEN |         // Enable GCLK4
                     GCLK_GENCTRL_SRC_DFLL48M |   // Set the 48MHz clock source
                     GCLK_GENCTRL_ID(4);          // Select GCLK4

//Enable port multiplexer
 PORT->Group[g_APinDescription[3].ulPort].PINCFG[g_APinDescription[3].ulPin].bit.PMUXEN = 1;  // D3(PA09)
 PORT->Group[g_APinDescription[5].ulPort].PINCFG[g_APinDescription[5].ulPin].bit.PMUXEN = 1;  // D5(PA15) 

// Connect the TCC0 timer to the port outputs - port pins are paired odd PMUO and even PMUXE
 PORT->Group[g_APinDescription[5].ulPort].PMUX[g_APinDescription[5].ulPin>>1].reg = PORT_PMUX_PMUXO_E | PORT_PMUX_PMUXE_E; // D5

// Feed GCLK4 to TCC0 and TCC1         ??? Is there any way to feed GCLK4 only to TCC0?
  REG_GCLK_CLKCTRL = GCLK_CLKCTRL_CLKEN |         // Enable GCLK4 to TCC0 and TCC1
                     GCLK_CLKCTRL_GEN_GCLK4 |     // Select GCLK4
                     GCLK_CLKCTRL_ID_TCC0_TCC1;   // Feed GCLK4 to TCC0 and TCC1

// Single slope PWM operation

REG_TCC0_WAVE |= TCC_WAVE_WAVEGEN_DSBOTTOM;

while (TCC0->SYNCBUSY.bit.WAVE);               // Wait for synchronization

//
  REG_TCC0_PER = 1200;      // Set the frequency of the PWM on TCC1 to
  while(TCC0->SYNCBUSY.bit.PER);

// The CCBx register value corresponds to the pulsewidth in microseconds (us)
  REG_TCC0_CCB1 = 600;       // TCC0 CCB0 - 50% duty cycle on D2
  while(TCC0->SYNCBUSY.bit.CCB1);

// Divide the 48MHz signal by 1 giving 48MHz
  REG_TCC0_CTRLA |= TCC_CTRLA_PRESCALER_DIV1 |    // Divide GCLK4 by 1
                    TCC_CTRLA_ENABLE;             // Enable the TCC1 output
  while (TCC0->SYNCBUSY.bit.ENABLE);              // Wait for synchronization
}

I would be happy about any kind of help, thank you in advance!

Sometimes some fresh air helps...
After a short break I found some copy paste errors and got it up working.
To be able to control the pwm on both pins separately, I changed D3 to TCC1 CBB1 and now I am able to do what I wanted.

Here is my now working code:

void setup()
{
  pinMode(13,INPUT);

REG_GCLK_GENDIV = GCLK_GENDIV_DIV(1) |          // Divide the 48MHz clock source by divisor 1: 48MHz

REG_GCLK_GENCTRL = GCLK_GENCTRL_IDC |           // Set the duty cycle to 50/50 HIGH/LOW

//Enable port multiplexer
 PORT->Group[g_APinDescription[3].ulPort].PINCFG[g_APinDescription[3].ulPin].bit.PMUXEN = 1;  // D3(PA09)
 PORT->Group[g_APinDescription[5].ulPort].PINCFG[g_APinDescription[5].ulPin].bit.PMUXEN = 1;  // D5(PA15) 

// Connect the TCC0 timer to the port outputs - port pins are paired odd PMUO and even PMUXE
  PORT->Group[g_APinDescription[3].ulPort].PMUX[g_APinDescription[3].ulPin >> 1].reg |= PORT_PMUX_PMUXO_F; // D3
  PORT->Group[g_APinDescription[5].ulPort].PMUX[g_APinDescription[5].ulPin >> 1].reg |= PORT_PMUX_PMUXO_F; // D5

// Feed GCLK4 to TCC0 and TCC1         ??? Is there any way to feed GCLK4 only to TCC0?
  REG_GCLK_CLKCTRL = GCLK_CLKCTRL_CLKEN |         // Enable GCLK4 to TCC0 and TCC1

// Single slope PWM operation

REG_TCC0_WAVE |= TCC_WAVE_WAVEGEN_NPWM;
   REG_TCC1_WAVE |= TCC_WAVE_WAVEGEN_NPWM;

//
  REG_TCC0_PER = 2400;      // Set the frequency of the PWM on TCC0 to

REG_TCC1_PER = 2400;      // Set the frequency of the PWM on TCC1 to

// The CCBx register value corresponds to the pulsewidth in microseconds (us)
  REG_TCC0_CCB1 = 1600;       // TCC0 CCB0 - 50% duty cycle on D2

REG_TCC1_CCB1 = 800;       // TCC0 CCB0 - 50% duty cycle on D2

// Divide the 48MHz signal by 1 giving 48MHz
  REG_TCC0_CTRLA |= TCC_CTRLA_PRESCALER_DIV1 |    // Divide GCLK4 by 1
  REG_TCC1_CTRLA |= TCC_CTRLA_PRESCALER_DIV1 |    // Divide GCLK4 by 1
  while (TCC1->SYNCBUSY.bit.ENABLE);              // Wait for synchronization
}

Thank you all again for your provided knowledge! I would not have been able to do this without this topic.

Having a bit of a problem using the TCC0 timer on the SAMD21G18 which is on the Arduino Tian. I use the TCC0 in dual slope mode, using only buffered registers to generate waveforms on two pins to avoid corrupting the waveforms. Generating the waveforms is not a problem, but i see some strange effects regarding the PER/PERB register.

According to the datasheet the PERB register is copied to the PER register on an UPDATE event (BOTTOM for dual slope mode). This should be the same for the other buffered registers CCB[X].

What i am seeing is that the CC registers (when read) actually do reflect the actual value of the compare values written using the CCB registers.

The PER register however always reads back as 0xFFFFFF, its reset and also maximum value. (Directly writing to the PER register works like one would expect and reads back correctly.)

Any of you guys have a clue as to what is going on there?

Hi farlane,

I ran a small test. It looks like a read of the PER register returns the last value written to it, but like you mention it's not updated directly from the PERB register during double buffering, as described in the SAMD21 datasheet.

This suggests to me that perhaps internally the period double buffering isn't actually using the PER register.

Looks like another "undocumented feature" in the SAMD21 datasheet.

MartinL:
Hi farlane,

I ran a small test. It looks like a read of the PER register returns the last value written to it, but like you mention it's not updated directly from the PERB register during double buffering, as described in the SAMD21 datasheet.

This suggests to me that perhaps internally the period double buffering isn't actually using the PER register.

Looks like another "undocumented feature" in the SAMD21 datasheet.

Hi Martin, thanks for your time and troubles double checking this. A very strange behavior indeed given that the CC[X] registers are in fact updated with their buffered counterparts ...

Cudos & thanks again :slight_smile:

MartinL:

I just got confirmation from the Microchip support desk, and i quote:

Actually the PER value is loaded from PERB register in UPDATE condition. If you check the WO pin, you can observe that.

Unfortunatley there is some issue with reading the PER register due to some synchronisation issue.

So the read-back values of the PER and PERB registers are not reliable. When you read the PER/PERB register, it may not give the actual/updated value.

Dear Forum,

I am having a problem configuring the PWM frequency in ARDUINO ZERO.

The ports I use are D8 and D111 , I want to make the PWM with more than 30Khz .

Can someone help me out with a small snippet of code ? I would really appreciate your help , because I am really confused with the timers in ATSAMD21

Kind regards
Johny

Hi johnyrobot,

Here's the code that outputs 30kHz PWM, 50% duty-cycle on D8 and D11:

// Output 30kHz PWM on timer TCC1/W0[0] (D8) and TCC0/WO[6] (D11) (10-bit resolution)
void setup()
{
  GCLK->GENDIV.reg = GCLK_GENDIV_DIV(1) |          // Divide the 48MHz clock source by divisor 1: 48MHz/1=48MHz
  while (GCLK->STATUS.bit.SYNCBUSY);               // Wait for synchronization

GCLK->GENCTRL.reg = GCLK_GENCTRL_IDC |           // Set the duty cycle to 50/50 HIGH/LOW

GCLK->CLKCTRL.reg = GCLK_CLKCTRL_CLKEN |         // Enable GCLK4 

// Enable the port multiplexer for the PWM channel on pin D8 and D11
  PORT->Group[g_APinDescription[8].ulPort].PINCFG[g_APinDescription[8].ulPin].bit.PMUXEN = 1;
  PORT->Group[g_APinDescription[11].ulPort].PINCFG[g_APinDescription[11].ulPin].bit.PMUXEN = 1;

// Connect the TCC1 timer to the port outputs - port pins are paired odd PMUO and even PMUXE
  // F & E peripherals specify the timers: TCC0, TCC1 and TCC2
  PORT->Group[g_APinDescription[8].ulPort].PMUX[g_APinDescription[8].ulPin >> 1].reg |= PORT_PMUX_PMUXE_E;
  PORT->Group[g_APinDescription[11].ulPort].PMUX[g_APinDescription[11].ulPin >> 1].reg |= PORT_PMUX_PMUXE_F; 

// Normal (single slope) PWM operation: timers countinuously count up to PER register value and then is reset to 0
  TCC1->WAVE.reg |= TCC_WAVE_WAVEGEN_NPWM;         // Setup single slope PWM on TCC1
  while (TCC1->SYNCBUSY.bit.WAVE);                 // Wait for synchronization
  TCC0->WAVE.reg |= TCC_WAVE_WAVEGEN_NPWM;         // Setup single slope PWM on TCC1
  while (TCC0->SYNCBUSY.bit.WAVE);                 // Wait for synchronization

// this determines the frequency of the PWM operation: 1600 = 30kHz
  TCC1->PER.reg = 1599;                            // Set the frequency of the PWM on TCC1 to 30kHz
  while (TCC1->SYNCBUSY.bit.PER);                  // Wait for synchronization
  TCC0->PER.reg = 1599;                            // Set the frequency of the PWM on TCC0 to 30kHz
  while (TCC0->SYNCBUSY.bit.PER);                  // Wait for synchronization

// The CCx register value corresponds to the pulsewidth in microseconds (us)
  TCC1->CC[0].reg = 799;                           // Set the duty cycle of the PWM on TCC1 to 50%
  while (TCC1->SYNCBUSY.bit.CC0);                  // Wait for synchronization
  TCC0->CC[2].reg = 799;                           // Set the duty cycle of the PWM on TCC1 to 50%
  while (TCC0->SYNCBUSY.bit.CC0);                  // Wait for synchronization

TCC1->CTRLA.bit.ENABLE = 1;                     // Enable TCC1 timer
  while (TCC1->SYNCBUSY.bit.ENABLE);              // Wait for synchronization
  TCC0->CTRLA.bit.ENABLE = 1;                     // Enable TCC0 timer
}

void loop() { }

Wuooo thank you Martin!

I will try this and let you know .

When I change these settings to the timers TCC1 and TCC0 will this affects any other devices? Like for example SPI?

Thank you very much!

Warm Regards

Johnyrobot

Hi Johnyrobot,

When I change these settings to the timers TCC1 and TCC0 will this affects any other devices? Like for example SPI?

The TCC timer counters are separate peripherals and independent from the SPI, or for that matter I2C or Serial.

It also won't affect the timing functions delay(), millis() or micros(), as they use the systick timer on the SAMD21.

Kind regards,
Martin