Can arduino be used commercially or just for hobbyist ?

hello guys,
i wasn't sure where to post this question should be so i decided to put it in this section,
i need to know please if arduino can be used for commercial products or just for the hobbyist who are learning and nothing more ?
if not what is the solution means how to turn to professional and for commercial purposes ?

Basically yes.
If you go for mass production however you are better off making a stand alone system that only contains the parts of an arduino you need.

Grumpy_Mike:
Basically yes.
If you go for mass production however you are better off making a stand alone system that only contains the parts of an arduino you need.

what do you mean ? AVR atmel chips ... alone ?

AVR atmel chips ... alone ?

Yes but not alone with the other components you need to make it function.
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Standalone
Only use a PCB not a bread board.

Grumpy_Mike:

AVR atmel chips ... alone ?

Yes but not alone with the other components you need to make it function.
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Standalone
Only use a PCB not a bread board.

well this thing about PCB confused me ! i have seen many people saying this but didn't get really what do they mean by using a PCB ? is it that i should solder the AVR on a PCB ?
by the way can i use the arduino board as a programmer for any AVR chip ?

i have seen many people saying this but didn't get really what do they mean by using a PCB ? is it that i should solder the AVR on a PCB ?

Yes.
I take it then from that question that you are not planning to use an arduino in a commercial product.

by the way can i use the arduino board as a programmer for any AVR chip ?

No only the ones supported by the avrdude software.

Grumpy_Mike:
I take it then from that question that you are not planning to use an arduino in a commercial product.

well i am planning in the future that's why i am asking for info about the subject

Grumpy_Mike:
No only the ones supported by the avrdude software.

i meant similar chips to the one used on arduino

well to do a serial communication between 2 chips like the one used in arduino, do i have to make a circuit like the MAX232 with it's capacitors and components ? or ?

well to do a serial communication between 2 chips like the one used in arduino, do i have to make a circuit like the MAX232 with it's capacitors and components ?

No just connect the serial lines together. The MAX232 is for when you want an RS232 level signal.

i meant similar chips to the one used on arduino

Yes you can use the Arduino as a low voltage serial programmer for other AVR chips. There is a high voltage programming mode for when you set some fuse bits that need a high voltage to reprogram them. You need a programmer that can handle that if you go there.

Grumpy_Mike:
No just connect the serial lines together. The MAX232 is for when you want an RS232 level signal.

ok great, and what about if i want to get serial data to the monitor from the chip ?

Grumpy_Mike:
Yes you can use the Arduino as a low voltage serial programmer for other AVR chips. There is a high voltage programming mode for when you set some fuse bits that need a high voltage to reprogram them. You need a programmer that can handle that if you go there.

i didn't really get what you mean, but i need to know if i can do the same as i do with the arduino alone, like programming circuits that controls servos, steppers, displays, leds, registers .... ?

firashelou:
if arduino can be used for commercial products

Yes.

ok great, and what about if i want to get serial data to the monitor from the chip ?

Then you have to use a chip with more than one serial port or use software serial.

You can either have an aeprduno boot loader in a chip or just program the chip directly with a chip programmer.

Grumpy_Mike:

Then you have to use a chip with more than one serial port or use software serial.

You can either have an aeprduno boot loader in a chip or just program the chip directly with a chip programmer.

well yes but how to connect this "naked" chip to the pc ?! i guess i need the circuit from the link you gave me ?
about loader as i understand that this chip has a part that is called bootloader which is just in this chip used in arduino right ?

so i guess first step get arduino build the circuit test it finish programming it then move to the actual circuit, buy a chip like the one in arduino and build the circuit and make serial connections between many chips if needed simply by wiring the tx to rx, are these step the right one to do ?

and what if i simply removed the chip from the arduino and use it directly in my circuit , is that possible ?

and what if i simply removed the chip from the arduino and use it directly in my circuit , is that possible ?

Yes

Smart Project is the official Italian Arduino manufacturer
See
http://www.smartprj.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=warranties&zenid=q84f3qhnt4trqtqjfceja26el5

retrolefty:

Yes

But it's an expensive, complicated way of doing it...

A "Pro Mini" is a tiny Arduino Uno that costs about $3 and has the clock crystal, etc. already attached.

and make serial connections between many chips if needed simply by wiring the tx to rx

No, that's ok for 2 chips, if you have "many" chips you have to get bit cleverer. Also if you have many one assumes they are far apart from each other, in which case line driver for standards like RS-232 or RS-485 are recommended.

Rob

well i am planning in the future that's why i am asking for info about the subject

So very much of your confusion will be cleared when you actually build your project as you will likely be exposed to a significant amount of reference searching. One of the best ways to start any project is to research what others are doing. Google and the Forum makes this very easy, although you get a lots of "noise" with the useful information.

And while these weekend projects may not be anywhere close to what you are planning, they do give you an idea of the diversity of what can be done (and a little what should not be done!)

And many seniors are so proud of their projects, they want to put them out on social media:

And if you are a visual kind of person

You will find that forums work best when you are very open with your project and your skill set and your expectation. Using the forum as a chat room is not the best use of the resources, but it may get you the information you want before folks get tired.

Ray

fungus:
But it's an expensive, complicated way of doing it...

A "Pro Mini" is a tiny Arduino Uno that costs about $3 and has the clock crystal, etc. already attached.

yes it is expensive but my question is that if i bought a new atmega chip like the one used on the arduino uno, plugged it and program it and then take it and use it in my circuit, then again if i bought new one and did the same, means that i am using arduino as a programmer so can that be done ?
if yes do i need crystal, capacitors and else to build something similar to arduino board without the usb and power ?

fungus:

how can this arduino pro be programmed ?

mrburnette:

So very much of your confusion will be cleared when you actually build your project as you will likely be exposed to a significant amount of reference searching. One of the best ways to start any project is to research what others are doing. Google and the Forum makes this very easy, although you get a lots of "noise" with the useful information.

And while these weekend projects may not be anywhere close to what you are planning, they do give you an idea of the diversity of what can be done (and a little what should not be done!)
http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Projects/

And many seniors are so proud of their projects, they want to put them out on social media:
Google
And if you are a visual kind of person
Google

You will find that forums work best when you are very open with your project and your skill set and your expectation. Using the forum as a chat room is not the best use of the resources, but it may get you the information you want before folks get tired.

Ray

nice info will read these subjects, but about my project i build a prototype a full prototype using 3 arduinos and it's done, but it's just a prototype as i said so i am looking to build a pro-like one that's why i am searching for info and to be guided

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1PCS-PL2303HX-USB-To-TTL-Auto-Converter-Adapter-Module-unit-For-arduino-/141150349286?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20dd3767e6