To have reference designs in gEDA & PCB files

Hello,

I wish to have reference designs not only in EAGLE files but also in gEDA gschem and PCB files too.

gEDA: gplEDA Homepage

Wish all you want, but I doubt it will happen unless you do it yourself.

Search around on the forum and on google; I seem to recall that someone was working on getting the schematic (to one of the Arduinos - maybe the UNO) converted. As for the PCB...

::slight_smile:

Here is something I have been using myself. The gschem symbols are not drawn to the geda standard sizes which are way too big for me, but the component may still be of some use to you.

homepage.ntlworld.com/stevecole1/downloads/arduino.tgz

homepage.ntlworld.com/stevecole1/downloads/pcb.png

Just noticed the tgz file is not complete. I will post it again later on.

Thanks! :smiley:

Now added the board & schematic to the file. Use at your own risk, this is the third version of the board and at the moment it is untested, although the first two versions are still going strong after almost a year.

Darn - I installed PCB on my system (from the repository), and your version was newer than mine, so it won't load the board; gschem had no problem with the schematic, though.

I probably just need to upgrade my system (on Ubuntu 9.10) - I just hate doing it, because it invariably breaks things, then I sit there for a week trying make all my crap work again...

But thanks anyhow for making this available - I'm glad to be proved wrong!

:smiley:

Try hacking the date FileVersion in the pcb file (hooray for text based file formats) . It might work

Try hacking the date FileVersion in the pcb file (hooray for text based file formats) . It might work

Hey - that worked great!

:smiley:

Darn - I installed PCB on my system (from the repository), and your version was newer than mine, so it won't load the board; gschem had no problem with the schematic, though.

I probably just need to upgrade my system (on Ubuntu 9.10) - I just hate doing it, because it invariably breaks things, then I sit there for a week trying make all my crap work again...

My system is Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze and have had installed PCB from Debian package repository too, but I delete this installation. I downloaded then PCB from Download pcb-20100929.tar.gz (Printed Circuit Board Layout Tool) and installed it so it works. :smiley:

Just had a look at this in a standard installation of pcb and the layer colors are, erm.. interesting. I had forgotten how much my installation was modified.

Just had a look at this in a standard installation of pcb and the layer colors are, erm.. interesting. I had forgotten how much my installation was modified.

Are these "mods" something that can be done by changing some config options or such, or are they something that need to be compiled in? I don't know anything about pcb (and very little about gschem), but both are programs I ultimately want to learn...

:slight_smile:

I am working from middle aged memory :).
If you start the pcb program & go to file - preferences - colors then all the layer settings colors can be changed from there. (I'm being very American here, I'm getting lots of red squiggles underneath the word colours).

These settings can be saved in a file in the .pcb hidden directory in the home folder and I think they are loaded automatically the next time the program starts.

If I use a ground plane then I find it convenient to put it on it's own layer & set it to a slightly different color to the traces on the same side of the board as can be seen in the screenshot posted above.

To do this, BEFORE I start laying out a board design, I need to go to the menu Settings - New lines,arcs clear polygons and then, any ground plane will automatically keep away from traces on the same side of the board, or if I need to lay a new trace, it will push the ground plane out of the way.

If this is done then I can go into file - preferences - layers - groups and set the trace layer & the ground layer to the same group and they will be treated as one entity. The two layers can be displayed or hidden together by either of the layer buttons.

It is sometimes convenient to hide the ground plane temporarily, it just needs to have it's group setting changed & it can be hidden without affecting the traces on the same side of the board.

The only other thing I did was to hack the pcb code & gnetlist scripts to allow 8 trace styles(widths) instead of the standard 4 but that is a whole different ball game for another day.

The only other thing I did was to hack the pcb code & gnetlist scripts to allow 8 trace styles(widths) instead of the standard 4 but that is a whole different ball game for another day.

I'd be interested in seeing this, though I likely wouldn't use it anytime soon; hacking on code is what I do for a living (been coding since I was 10 years old; professionally for the past 20 years).

:wink:

AAAAGH! I just hit reset instead of post on a long reply.

mmmh! Coding is not what I do with any real knowledge about what I am doing, as is obvious from some of the garbage I have posted around the forum in the past.

If you have a copy of the pcb source code, then to change the number of trace styles available is easy. In the top level directory is a file called globalconst.h and this just needs the #define NUM_STYLES 4 entry changing to whatever value you want. That's it!

The mildly awkward bit is satisfying all the library dependencies needed for the source code to be compiled. I am not sure if everything necessary is in the Ubuntu repositories, I am using Debian and I seem to remember it was still a bit of a struggle to get everything.

The other file that needs altering is (on a Debian system) /usr/local/share/gEDA/scheme/gnet-gsch2pcb.scm and this has to be altered so it writes the same number of trace styles as the figure used in the pcb code mod above.

The difficult bit (for me) is that this now introduces a screaming bug into the program. When trying to load an already existing (from the pre code mod days) pcb layout the application crashes when it tries to free the memory used by the non existent (in the old board layout) trace styles. Using the gdb debugger I have traced this right down to the line of source code where it actually happens, but fixing it is for me, as I said earlier another ball game. If I study the code for long enough I may get there but it won't be any time soon.

If anybody has any advice or knowledge about what to do about this I would like to hear it.