how do i get a file off of uno?

how do i get a file off of uno?

The Uno doesn't have a file system so you don't get a file off an Uno.

If you want to get a sketch off an Uno you might be able to read the memory with the avrdude program. You'll end up with a .hex file which is what gets uploaded to the Uno after your sketch is compiled. You won't get the sketch.

Thank you, I was trying to figure the same thing out. So with hex, would I be able to translate it?

My apologies, I just got my first Arduino Uno yesterday from Sayal in Barrie. I swear the owner told me about it, so he could restock his electronic supplies for a day without me bugging him, lol.

I have been watching youtube vids all night and am fascinated by this board. Many thanks to all the future helpers and answerers of my questions in advance.

Mod :grin:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Physical Computing!

Start with some of the Example sketches (under the File menu).

Look for old dead toys you can take apart for motors, speakers, LEDs, microphones, and such. For driving motors (or anything that takes more than 40 milliamps or more than 5 volts) you will want some transistors to switch power.

Thank you, I was trying to figure the same thing out. So with hex, would I be able to translate it?

Translate the hex to what?

Think of the hex file as the result of an encryption process. A non-reversible one...

So with hex, would I be able to translate it?

If you can find a dissassembler you can turn it back into opcodes, some even do a reasonable job with labels etc. But unless you're desperate or trying to reverse engineer some code I wouldn't bother.

Rob

I've found that on the web :

avr-objdump will work!

First, create an .elf:

avr-objcopy -I ihex -O elf32-avr test.hex test.elf

Check out the section names:

avr-objdump -h test.elf

For each section, set the code-flag (and a couple of others)

avr-objcopy --set-section-flags .sec1=contents,alloc,load,readonly,code test.elf
avr-objcopy --set-section-flags .sec2=contents,alloc,load,readonly,code test.elf
avr-objcopy --set-section-flags .sec3=contents,alloc,load,readonly,code test.elf

Finally, dump the whole thing:

avr-objdump -h -S test.elf >test.lss

@grag38 - a bunch of assembler isn't going to help the OP, unless the sketch was trivial.

Yes, but it's a way to get it. After there is always people that feels easy with assembler ! It can helps.

I'm just giving a link.

@grag38 - Did you try to do any of the stuff that you regurgitated from the web?

(1) avr-dump is not avr-copy
(2) both appear to be programs that run under Linux

Don